PDA

View Full Version : +2 tomes

Oolathek
09-11-2007, 01:08 AM
I just recently acquired 1750 favor on my main toon, a Wizard. As his stats are now, he has a 31 Int, 17 Dex and 17 Con. Should I really go with the +2 Int Tome or would Con or Dex be better? I mean, maybe it's a stupid question, but is there really a massive difference between a 31 Int and a 33? The only thing I can see is when the level caps are raised it might be a problem, but I'm thinking the extra hp couldn't hurt. Am I over-thinking this? Please let me know.

Thanks

Tenkari_Rozahas
09-11-2007, 01:11 AM
first off. did you take any other tomes on that char, and if so, where? becasue Tome bonus's dont stack, only the highest applies. so if you already used a +1 int tome, you would only gain another +1.

hannika
09-11-2007, 01:56 AM
as a wizard int is your BY FAR FOREEEEVER MOST IMPORTANT STAT hands down. a 33 is better than a 31 (though i think you've prolly eaten a +1 and are only getting to a 32 with a +2 tome) because a 32 is better than a 31. odd numbers don't help you, but getting to a 32 will improve you over a 31. ALWAYS do whatever you can to get your int to the next highest even number. ALWAYS.

smodge13
09-11-2007, 02:43 AM
depends really on how often you loot run/raid, some people would suggest con because its alot easier to roll on an int tome in a raid over a con tome, also with new update comes lvl 15 quests, which means on elite is a lvl 17 chest which happens to drop +2 tomes occasionally (as the +1 loot weekends showed us), personally i'd choose the int tome, but there are a few things to consider.

sirgog
09-11-2007, 02:54 AM
My fighter took the Con tome at 1750. Although a Str tome would help the character more, Con tomes are defacto rarer (as everyone wants them when they drop in a raid, whereas Str tomes are only of real use to some characters)

Vinos
09-11-2007, 08:21 AM
I would have to go CON if you raid at all.

Oolathek
09-11-2007, 05:31 PM
I have not used any tomes on this toon. I put all points I could into Int during initial build, and took every Int increasing enhancement, and he's wearing +6 goggles. If he read the tome it would put him at 33. Now, can someone tell me *how* the 33 would benefit him more than a 31. Again, he never fails a scribe check (never has - is it even possible with these rules?), hasn't come across an Int rune he can't activate, and none of the Int skills available to him matter to me. So, is this just looking to the future then, or is there something else I'm missing because I'm tending toward the Con tome right now. I'm not seeing this as being a glaring mistake, but please, if someone can prove to me how it would be, I'm willing to hear the rationale.

Thanks

Vinos
09-11-2007, 05:38 PM
I have not used any tomes on this toon. I put all points I could into Int during initial build, and took every Int increasing enhancement, and he's wearing +6 goggles. If he read the tome it would put him at 33. Now, can someone tell me *how* the 33 would benefit him more than a 31. Again, he never fails a scribe check (never has - is it even possible with these rules?), hasn't come across an Int rune he can't activate, and none of the Int skills available to him matter to me. So, is this just looking to the future then, or is there something else I'm missing because I'm tending toward the Con tome right now. I'm not seeing this as being a glaring mistake, but please, if someone can prove to me how it would be, I'm willing to hear the rationale.

Thanks

A 33 won't do anything for you at this point so find a +1 INT tome(the cheapest of the stats) and use your favor tome on CON. By the time we get a level increase you'll come across a +2 INT tome. Also INT has nothing to do with scribing scrolls(no skill check or anything) but the extra INT will boost the DC of your spells and give you a few more SP's.

Blazer
09-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Scribing is an auto-success, no rolling needed.

There is as much difference between 17 CON and 19 CON as there is between 31 INT and 33 INT. Translation - not much. You'll get an additional stat point come lvl 16 to push you to 32/34 INT depending on if you use a +2 INT tome. So how important is that extra dice modifier to you? You're basically looking at +14 HP/+1 Fort save vs +1 to spell DCs/a bit more SP.

What race and level are you?

Casta
09-11-2007, 05:49 PM
My fighter took the Con tome at 1750. Although a Str tome would help the character more, Con tomes are defacto rarer (as everyone wants them when they drop in a raid, whereas Str tomes are only of real use to some characters)

I wouldn't mind a str tome on my cleric, he gets burdened way to easy. I might have a hard time getting it but I managed to get a 2 wis tome on a fighter in a raid for my will save so it can happen. No tome is only good for 1 class, everyone can use almost every stat for something.

Vinos
09-11-2007, 05:50 PM
also what are your other stats?

Oolathek
09-11-2007, 06:17 PM
14.4 Wizard, Human

HP: 180
SP: 1270

S: 10
D: 17
C: 17
I: 31
W: 10
Ch: 13

Ok - I really have no idea why the spell point aspect didn't cross my mind earlier (duh) - that would be the best reason for taking the +2 Int tome I think. Then, I could read tomes for D and C (even Ch) and wear better items to boost these abilities as well later in the game. Sound good?

turkeymoon
09-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Getting over 1300 SP makes a difference with the 33 int.

Blazer
09-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Ahhh, I see. Okay, you're human using the Human Adaptability enhancement to boost yourself to 31. I would reassign that enhancement to CON, putting you at 18 and pushing you to 194 HP. Then, take the INT tome which bumps you from 30 to 32, almost max for a human wizard (34 would be max with a +3 INT tome and the Human Adapt. enhancement).

Vinos
09-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Ahhh, I see. Okay, you're human using the Human Adaptability enhancement to boost yourself to 31. I would reassign that enhancement to CON, putting you at 18 and pushing you to 194 HP. Then, take the INT tome which bumps you from 30 to 32, almost max for a human wizard (34 would be max with a +3 INT tome and the Human Adapt. enhancement).

Agreed. OP what kind of stat items are you using for CON?

Oolathek
09-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Health Ring: +5 Con

I could still buy a +6 Con Item to bump me to 18

Vinos
09-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Health Ring: +5 Con

I could still buy a +6 Con Item to bump me to 18

I would plan for +6 stat items when you are thinking about your favor tome. Sooner or later you will have a +6 item for any stat you want and it's best to think long term. given your current stats I would just eat a +1 tome for CON and go ahead and go with INT.

Oolathek
09-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Sounds good - thanks for the help all

Mark_G
09-12-2007, 08:27 AM
One point which may have been overlooked (I didn't see it mentioned as I scanned through this discussion) is having a 33 Int vs. a 31 Int means the DC of your save-able spells is increased by one. With a 31 Int, your intelligence modifier is +10...The DC of your spells is 10 + spell level + Int modifier.

With a 33 Intelligence, your modifier will be +11 instead of +10.