PDA

View Full Version : SWG: What happen?

Tavok
09-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Ok, bear with me, I've never played any MMO besides this, I've always been hearing of the "failure" of SWG, can anyone give me an idea of what this was about/what happen that made the game s uck?

The_Cataclysm
09-10-2007, 10:25 PM
As far as I know the failure of SWG is related to a vast change in the game system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Galaxies#New_Game_Enhancements).

PurdueDave
09-10-2007, 10:29 PM
As far as I know the failure of SWG is related to a vast change in the game system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Galaxies#New_Game_Enhancements).

Note in particular the NGE and Expansion Refund sections.

Drider
09-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Pretty much SOE went to Lucasarts with a new system for an MMO that they were working on for something other then SWG. Lucasarts, being the owner and holding all the cards with the license, had them institute this new system into SWG, which in turn pretty much ****ed off about 50% of the games population. This caused a mass exodus from the game... Not learning from their mistakes and trying to just fix and work on what they had put in.. they did it yet again about a year later.

They've been slowly rebuilding the game, but it's never gonna be enough to bring it back to the height of it's popularity.

Also SWG had no end game... none at all. Not even raids and such. It ended up being lootcentric and they didn't even do that in a good way.

I was one of the last of my guild to leave SWG. Mainly I loved the game but it was going nowhere.. they took and changed so much that it turned into something I really didn't want to play anymore.

There really is no comparing what has happened in SWG to whats going on in DDO though.

Strakeln
09-10-2007, 11:03 PM
As far as I know the failure of SWG is related to a vast change in the game system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Galaxies#New_Game_Enhancements).I read through the Wiki articles on that and similar things before, they're pretty funny. Here's a couple things that stick out in memory:

1) SWG players, frustrated with the game makers, staged a sit-in protest. SWG admins responded by teleporting participants, often into deep space.

2) I forget the game (it wasn't SWG), but the game's creator was addressing the general population. He didn't have admin-like immunities enabled, and someone assasinated him while he was addressing the crowd. :D

/just waiting for +Sir to slip up

edit: Here's one of 'em: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_British - Ultima online.

Drider
09-10-2007, 11:08 PM
I read through the Wiki articles on that and similar things before, they're pretty funny. Here's a couple things that stick out in memory:

1) SWG players, frustrated with the game makers, staged a sit-in protest. SWG admins responded by teleporting participants, often into deep space.

2) I forget the game (it wasn't SWG), but the game's creator was addressing the general population. He didn't have admin-like immunities enabled, and someone assasinated him while he was addressing the crowd. :D

/just waiting for +Sir to slip up

As for number 1.. you have to also state that these protests were crashing the servers where non-protesters were trying to play.

For number 2 that happened in SWG as well. I believe it even happened to Thunderheart. Also the gm's and devs didn't all have godmodes. As a matter of fact a guildie of mine got banned for continually killing a CSR after he had sent in a ticket for help. :eek:

Strakeln
09-11-2007, 12:23 AM
As for number 1.. you have to also state that these protests were crashing the servers where non-protesters were trying to play.I thought that was the case, but couldn't remember for sure and couldn't find the wiki entry I was thinking of.

Drider
09-11-2007, 12:28 AM
I thought that was the case, but couldn't remember for sure and couldn't find the wiki entry I was thinking of.

Hehe yeah.. to be fair they were asked to disperse before the CSR's started teleporting them across the galaxy. I happened to log in during the protests and got teleported to another planet. :cool:

issiana
09-11-2007, 02:40 AM
Pretty much SOE went to Lucasarts with a new system for an MMO that they were working on for something other then SWG. Lucasarts, being the owner and holding all the cards with the license, had them institute this new system into SWG, which in turn pretty much ****ed off about 50% of the games population. This caused a mass exodus from the game... Not learning from their mistakes and trying to just fix and work on what they had put in.. they did it yet again about a year later.

They've been slowly rebuilding the game, but it's never gonna be enough to bring it back to the height of it's popularity.

Also SWG had no end game... none at all. Not even raids and such. It ended up being lootcentric and they didn't even do that in a good way.

I was one of the last of my guild to leave SWG. Mainly I loved the game but it was going nowhere.. they took and changed so much that it turned into something I really didn't want to play anymore.

There really is no comparing what has happened in SWG to whats going on in DDO though.

I disagree. SWG did have end game. it was pvp.
The game was always about rebels vs imperials, or bounty hunters vs jedi, and still is. If anything i think the end game stuff is better now than it ever was.
But still the combat engine changes and destruction of the professions ( I was a master ranger/ master rifleman) pretty much nuked the game population.

Hendrik
09-11-2007, 09:31 AM
SWG died because of the players and the demands they had placed upon the DEVs. They listened and brought out the NGE. In addition to the players themselves Nancy McIntyre played a hand in it with her statement of " there was far to much reading involved" to play SWG.

Appealing to the lowest common denominator can in fact ruin a game.

Sad too, because SWG was a real fun game to play before it was dumbed down to the illiterate, ADD, instant gratification crowd. It is this reason why there is a lot of friction when people see things requested that may lead DDO down the same path...

Zyklon
09-11-2007, 11:35 AM
I disagree. SWG did have end game. it was pvp.
The game was always about rebels vs imperials, or bounty hunters vs jedi, and still is. If anything i think the end game stuff is better now than it ever was.
But still the combat engine changes and destruction of the professions ( I was a master ranger/ master rifleman) pretty much nuked the game population.

End game at game start was unlocking Jedi. The downfall of the game began when they started the holocron/prof. grind. When that was implemented it went downhill FAST (a couple months?). They should have kept it a secret and increased the difficulty of attaining Jedi.

-

adamkatt
09-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Ahh yes SWG... I played for over a year as a Mdoc/Mswords and was happy until the cu took away my crafting and then later the nge deleted doc altogether..

I still miss what is was to be a Pre Cu Doc in galaxys...

Riddikulus
09-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Did the admins do that?

I did the free trial of SWG a couple years ago. IMO it wasn't worth the price I paid for it. I ended up lost in space a couple times, so it seems to me that SWG was able to do that all by itself without admin help. :)

adamkatt
09-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Did the admins do that?

I did the free trial of SWG a couple years ago. IMO it wasn't worth the price I paid for it. I ended up lost in space a couple times, so it seems to me that SWG was able to do that all by itself without admin help. :)

You did a free trial and it wasnt worth what you paid for it?

Dariun
09-11-2007, 03:30 PM
You did a free trial and it wasnt worth what you paid for it?

Many free things are like that...

shimiha_kakita
09-12-2007, 12:59 PM
SWG's end game was/is PvP. Imp vs Reb. The best thing about it was the pre-cu (pre-combat upgrade) crafting and flying. As one of the many refugees the thing I miss most from SWG is flying. While there are many bugs and kinks in the system it was the most fun i had in the game.

adamkatt
09-12-2007, 09:51 PM
SWG's end game was/is PvP. Imp vs Reb. The best thing about it was the pre-cu (pre-combat upgrade) crafting and flying. As one of the many refugees the thing I miss most from SWG is flying. While there are many bugs and kinks in the system it was the most fun i had in the game.

I have to agree Jump to light speed was fun, But i still miss Mdoc more...

Hendrik
09-13-2007, 09:48 AM
I have to agree Jump to light speed was fun, But i still miss Mdoc more...

I miss crafting before they screwed the pooch on that.

90% of my time was spent crafting across all professions but Tailor. That was a thinking mans crafting game....

Mdoc buffs, mmm, fun!

Remember the long lines for buffs?

issiana
09-14-2007, 02:24 AM
I miss crafting before they screwed the pooch on that.

90% of my time was spent crafting across all professions but Tailor. That was a thinking mans crafting game....

Mdoc buffs, mmm, fun!

Remember the long lines for buffs?

haha, i remember standing in a line because everyone said you really want this. i had no idea what the heck i was getting till it happened and even then little understanding of what it did.

Ah the good ole days. sadly missed now.

PhoenixFire31
09-14-2007, 07:37 AM
I did the trial back around mod 3 release. It wasn't bad for me because my old guild, Xcorps, had migrated back to SWG (they left in the huge exodus and ended up in DDO where I met them.) They hooked me up, and showed me around. But the part that was fun for me (I soon realized) was not the game (though I loved my little Twi'lek Jedi) but being with my friends again. And in the end that just wasn't enough for me.

Hendrik
09-14-2007, 07:57 AM
haha, i remember standing in a line because everyone said you really want this. i had no idea what the heck i was getting till it happened and even then little understanding of what it did.

Hear that friend. Much fun was had back then and I wish it was still around.

Hendrik
09-14-2007, 08:00 AM
I did the trial back around mod 3 release. It wasn't bad for me because my old guild, Xcorps, had migrated back to SWG (they left in the huge exodus and ended up in DDO where I met them.) They hooked me up, and showed me around. But the part that was fun for me (I soon realized) was not the game (though I loved my little Twi'lek Jedi) but being with my friends again. And in the end that just wasn't enough for me.

I was there from Late Alpha til just before NGE. Even travelled from MI to ND to hang with a few from our Guild when Pub.9 hit - that was the big Jedi Changes.

I miss my Jedi too Phoenix. Pre-pub 9, Human named Ford Prefect.

;)

MHealer/MSaber

Gratch
09-14-2007, 01:59 PM
I miss flying at full speed through mountainous terrain, hitting the top of the moutain, kicking the boosters as we zoom past the turret fire and infantry missles from the heavily defended base's defense team, only to slam on the air breaks inside the base, release the tank and watch as the pods full of exo armored, infantry, and stealth hacker marines jump out to attack the base. Only then to plow the flying carrier into the vehicle depot at the enemies' base, blowing up yourself and all the newbs waiting for a vehicle. Then to turn around and watch 3 more similar carriers do the same thing.

Oh wait... that was Planetside. Sony messed up that one too. Though it was crazy fun at its highest Population count. We had Sporkfire there too.

adamkatt
09-19-2007, 11:29 AM

I used to run those lines from time to time, Put all the cash i made back into better supplies to be a better doc. Most cash i had at one time was only 30 million credits. But i did love to craft and i was just getting into making really good buff packs when i was cut off... :(