PDA

View Full Version : DDO v. Football

Cupcake
09-10-2007, 12:08 PM
I know there is a thread going on about football and who you all like.

But I ask you what is more important. Watching Monday/Thursday night football or playing DDO? We won't discuss football on Sundays. DDO is MUCH more important I mean, come on. :D

Im sorry but its playing DDO all the way. Yes I love football, and for those of you playing DDO and paying more attention to the game on TV/radio for shame!

(this is just an attempt at humor).:D

Hvymetal
09-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Football until Mod 5 comes out :p :D

Cupcake
09-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Football until Mod 5 comes out :p :D

LOL. I shoulda expected that LOL

Dariuss
09-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Football sucks. hehe.

But NHL action gets underway in a couple weeks!

teddok
09-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Football sucks. hehe.

But NHL action gets underway in a couple weeks!

Go CAPS

PranasP
09-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Watched football from all afternoon yesterday. A guy has to relax sometime!

Much more relevant statement Cupcake is this...

DDO vs fantasy football.

;)

Porkchop
09-10-2007, 12:14 PM
You can play DDO anytime. Sundays are for NFL football...and Monday nights...and sometimes Thursday...oh and Saturday too.

Cupcake
09-10-2007, 12:15 PM

DDO vs fantasy football.

;)

Ah yes.

I am a Rangers fan myself. As for football, Oakland Raiders, Giants, Greenbay and anyone that beats Dallas. :D

KoboldKiller
09-10-2007, 12:15 PM
I was doing both and almost got wiped out by not paying attention to what I was doing. I think the party was wondering why I was always standing around while they fought or moved through the quest. :D
So in conclusion I cannot choose one over the other.

That is all.

In_Like_Flynn
09-10-2007, 12:16 PM
American football is like watching grass grow. Baseball is worse.

Kalanth
09-10-2007, 12:17 PM
I will take football over a video game any day. And Video game football comes in a close second. :)

Vinos
09-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Depends on the game for monday night. You don't see alot of thursday games except for thanksgiving and season opener. But I find it less stressful to watch T.O. drop passes then watching a party I am in struggle through PoP.

Vinos
09-10-2007, 12:19 PM

Can't argue baseball.

Hvymetal

DDO vs fantasy football.

;)
Bah thats easy!! You have the stats up on your computer during teh game so you know who to call and talk smack to or who not to accept calls from, and you do your research and line up from work:) It was draft day that was tough:(

Grimdiegn
Nfl > Ddo

Cupcake
09-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Nfl > Ddo

Pfft.

I just try and do both LOL. Attention is more on DDO than the game though. Again, it does depend on who is playing.

parvo
09-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Ah yes.

I am a Rangers fan myself. As for football, Oakland Raiders, Giants, Greenbay and anyone that beats Dallas. :D

But no one beats Dallas...

Dane_McArdy
09-10-2007, 12:22 PM
/cue wonder years music

Growing up, my father was into sports. He coached the little leauge teams my brothers where on, and tried to get me to play baseball.

Baseball, football and even basketball were watched all the time, and if a game was on when you were watching something, too bad...time for sports.

Often, as a form of punishment for acting up, I was forced to watch sports. It was an agonizing two hours of my life I wouldn't get back any time too soon.

So now, as an adult, sports is completely banned on my tv. Sure you can pass over it, but you aren't allowed to linger over it. I don't want anyone stopping to see the score (cause it always takes like 10 or more minutes for them to show it) I just don't care. NO SPORTS in my house.

Yes, I have issues about this.

Thankfully, it's my house and I can indulge those issues without harm!

Dariuss
09-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Go CAPS

The Caps might have a chance this year...

...everyone knows Vancouver's gonna take the cup tohugh :p

Hvymetal
09-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Sorry Cupcake, just noticed you like the Raiders, you must die now:( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:p

hannika
09-10-2007, 12:24 PM
seahawks pwn.

Scarsgaard
09-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Screw football...

Ladies Tennis and Volleyball... all the way:eek:

BTW Dariuss your signature is awesome... 3 thumbs up:D

Cupcake
09-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Screw football...

Ladies Tennis and Volleyball... all the way:eek:

BTW Dariuss your signature is awesome... 3 thumbs up:D

Men.

Theadora
09-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Football. Unless it is a late game and then it is usually both with part of the group taking an afk for instant replay. We've been working on getting our 4 yr old daughter to yell "TOUCHDOWN!" while throwing her arms up. Worked until she broke her arm last week. :(

Dane_McArdy
Men.

WOMEN!

PranasP
Bah thats easy!! You have the stats up on your computer during teh game so you know who to call and talk smack to or who not to accept calls from, and you do your research and line up from work:) It was draft day that was tough:(

Ha, try it with baseball season running at same time.

You in a conventional, auction or keeper league?

Cupcake
09-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Football. Unless it is a late game and then it is usually both with part of the group taking an afk for instant replay. We've been working on getting our 4 yr old daughter to yell "TOUCHDOWN!" while throwing her arms up. Worked until she broke her arm last week. :(

Ouch LOL

Cupcake
09-10-2007, 12:30 PM
WOMEN!

Yes???:p

PranasP
09-10-2007, 12:30 PM
/cue wonder years music

Growing up, my father was into sports. He coached the little leauge teams my brothers where on, and tried to get me to play baseball.

Baseball, football and even basketball were watched all the time, and if a game was on when you were watching something, too bad...time for sports.

Often, as a form of punishment for acting up, I was forced to watch sports. It was an agonizing two hours of my life I wouldn't get back any time too soon.

So now, as an adult, sports is completely banned on my tv. Sure you can pass over it, but you aren't allowed to linger over it. I don't want anyone stopping to see the score (cause it always takes like 10 or more minutes for them to show it) I just don't care. NO SPORTS in my house.

Yes, I have issues about this.

Thankfully, it's my house and I can indulge those issues without harm!

National Geographic/Jacques Cousteau specials for me. Only thing I was allowed to watch on tv regardless of what I was doing. Have never gotten in Animal Planet

kbmay44
09-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Ah yes.

I'm a Wings Fan. NFL It's Oakland Raiders and the Lions. Yes feel sorry for Me. I'm also a U of Michigan fan :(

Hvymetal
09-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Ha, try it with baseball season running at same time.

You in a conventional, auction or keeper league? 2 Conventional, 1 of them had my 1st live draft we only had 1:30 each round to make our picks those last rounds get stressfull:)

cdbd3rd
09-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Football (and the rest of the professional sports) can go get dunked.
Ever since the first baseball strike back in the 80's, had no use for any of em.

UFC..... (Even tho they borked themselves unifying with that prancy Pride tripe) ...FTW. ;)

Porkchop
09-10-2007, 12:42 PM
People actually still watch hockey? I thought the NHL folded a couple years back.

PranasP
09-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Sorry Cupcake, just noticed you like the Raiders, you must die now:( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

She must die for the Packer love too!

:p

Sorry Cuppy but I am a Bears fan

Dane_McArdy
09-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Yes???:p

Oh you know!

PranasP
09-10-2007, 12:45 PM
2 Conventional, 1 of them had my 1st live draft we only had 1:30 each round to make our picks those last rounds get stressfull:)

Same. for me. Live draft is limitless time but we got done in record 2and 1/4 hours this year. Othe ris through Yahoo. 2min rounds

know what ya mean

Dariuss
09-10-2007, 12:45 PM
People actually still watch hockey? I thought the NHL folded a couple years back.

pfffffffft

sacrilege!

oh i forgot, most of you guys are silly americans haha

Rangers have no chance this year... wings could be ok... anaheim's got a good chance to repeat i think... and watch out for the pens, I think they are gonan put some big numbers

Oh, leafs suck

PranasP
09-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Sabres

and I gave up on Blackhawks a long time ago. At least until they change ownership...

and the general manager

FunnyCide
09-10-2007, 12:51 PM
I should cheer for the STL Blues now that I live in Missouri but bah! Go Red Wings! :D

BTW, nothing is more important that DDO...er well...besides Missing Minds, my art, and my horse. ^_^;;;

Fattiest
09-10-2007, 12:53 PM
:D People, people, people....use your heads here. Do what i do. In your office area of your home you should have 1 TV and your computer(2 TV's if your Blessed:) ) do both at the same time. Sure when you kill the reaver you may yell TOUCHDOWN!!!!GO COLTS!!! or RedWings!!! Score!!! HatTrick!!WOOHOO!!!....But everyone will know what you mean...Merry Looting and have a Happy POP run.

thanks

The Fat Man:cool:

Porkchop
09-10-2007, 12:56 PM
pfffffffft

sacrilege!

oh i forgot, most of you guys are silly americans haha

Rangers have no chance this year... wings could be ok... anaheim's got a good chance to repeat i think... and watch out for the pens, I think they are gonan put some big numbers

Oh, leafs suck

Let me take a guess. You are from Canada huh? LOL, its funny cuz the last couple of Stanley Cup winners are from places that doesn't get any snow.

Cupcake
09-10-2007, 12:58 PM
:D People, people, people....use your heads here. Do what i do. In your office area of your home you should have 1 TV and your computer(2 TV's if your Blessed:) ) do both at the same time. Sure when you kill the reaver you may yell TOUCHDOWN!!!!GO COLTS!!! or RedWings!!! Score!!! HatTrick!!WOOHOO!!!....But everyone will know what you mean...Merry Looting and have a Happy POP run.

thanks

The Fat Man:cool:

LOL. :D

Furgulder
09-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Have never gotten in Animal Planet

I should hope not, unless you are a llama.

Down with the Red Wings. Avs fan here :) Best rivalry in sports. To hell with Boston and New York.

As far as DDO and football....can you not see your TV from your computer??

Cupcake
09-10-2007, 01:01 PM
I should hope not, unless you are a llama.

Down with the Red Wings. Avs fan here :) Best rivalry in sports. To hell with Boston and New York.

As far as DDO and football....can you not see your TV from your computer??

Sorta. Its partially blocked. By hubby's head. :D

Dariuss
09-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Let me take a guess. You are from Canada huh? LOL, its funny cuz the last couple of Stanley Cup winners are from places that doesn't get any snow.

funny... sad.. you know, either/or.

haha

At least we had a Canadian team in the finals for the last three years....

Yeah the Avs should have a good year this year too. i think they'll be fighting for the NW Div title with my 'nucks and the Wild.

Mookie_Mashfoot
09-10-2007, 01:08 PM
UFC..... (Even tho they borked themselves unifying with that prancy Pride tripe) ...FTW. ;)

That and the way the Bisping v Hamill match was judged...Hamill won that match, hell even Dana White said as much. UFC judges are becoming more and more like boxing judges...:mad:

But back to the subject of this thread...

Football always > DDO. Not even close. Sorry, but it's true. Even horrible games between two bad teams, like tonights Cards/Niners matchup. (Why is that even on Monday night????? :confused: )

Fattiest
09-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Sorta. Its partially blocked. By hubby's head.

And this is why you must have a room all your own......the only room i have in my home is the office, and my wife hates it, deer heads and multiple bass on the walls, leather recliners, 42in flat screen with 360 and PS3 hooked up to it, mini fridge stocked with dew, sam adams and frozen snickers and to top it off DDO. what could be better.....now if i could get my wife into gaming i would be golden Although she is a big DDR and Fuzion Frenzy fan.

Polunius
09-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Football comes first.

But if you have a DVR you can get the best of both worlds.

Cupcake
09-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Sorta. Its partially blocked. By hubby's head.

And this is why you must have a room all your own......the only room i have in my home is the office, and my wife hates it, deer heads and multiple bass on the walls, leather recliners, 42in flat screen with 360 and PS3 hooked up to it, mini fridge stocked with dew, sam adams and frozen snickers and to top it off DDO. what could be better.....now if i could get my wife into gaming i would be golden Although she is a big DDR and Fuzion Frenzy fan.

LOL very cool. Wish I had room for another room LOL.

Ringlord
09-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Football is LIFE :D

As to that thing called hockey let me just use an old saying "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out." The only place hockey has any use as far as I am concerned is in the Olympics where fighting is not allowed and gets a player banned from the competition :p :)

Dariuss
09-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Football is LIFE :D

As to that thing called hockey let me just use an old saying "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out." The only place hockey has any use as far as I am concerned is in the Olympics where fighting is not allowed and gets a player banned from the competition :p :)

mhm

spoken like the guy who only sees hockey when it's tacked on to the ass-end of the local news sports highlights :p

Cupcake
09-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Football comes first.

^^ What he said. :D

Mookie_Mashfoot
09-10-2007, 01:27 PM
mhm

spoken like the guy who only sees hockey when it's tacked on to the ass-end of the local news sports highlights :p

True, but as far as I know, hockey games (except for some playoff games) aren't available to see on any channel I get through my sat. company. And yes I know it's probably on some weird premium channel. But I'm not paying extra for it...

So, the 'ass-end of the local news sports highlights' is one of the few ways to 'see' it. :p

Cupcake
09-10-2007, 01:28 PM
True, but as far as I know, hockey games (except for some playoff games) aren't available to see on any channel I get through my sat. company. And yes I know it's probably on some weird premium channel. But I'm not paying extra for it...

So, the 'ass-end of the local news sports highlights' is one of the few ways to 'see' it. :p

LOL.

Kronik
09-10-2007, 01:30 PM
FOOTBALL SUNDAY RULES ALL!!!!!!!!

MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL RULES ALL!!!!!!!!

- but who says you cant put a big screen tv in your room and watch football with the volume full blast while playing a little DDO!!!! It can and should be done, its good for your constitution you know. Not only that, but really helps kill the time while your waiting for a PUG to form!

Lithic
09-10-2007, 01:31 PM

NASCAR is worst than baseball. Round and round they go, where they stop, everyone knows. If it wasnt for the occasional crash, would this really be on american tv? ;)

Oh and DDO>>>>>>>>>>>>Football.

Then again I think:
Watching football<Rootcanal.

Mad_Bombardier
09-10-2007, 01:34 PM
What the %^%#$_ *&%% ?!?!?

This thread gets moved, but Pats Win! (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=120721) and Football Season is upon us! (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=120636) get to stay in General Discussion? :confused: At least this one had DDO in the title and topic. :mad:

There is NO excuse for selective moderation. Here's a quarter. Buy a f***ing clue, Moderators!

Dariuss
09-10-2007, 01:38 PM

and that's why americans can't appreciate the 'great game'

It's on OLN now tohugh :)

Nevthial
09-10-2007, 01:42 PM
DDO over ANY sport, anytime.

Porkchop
09-10-2007, 02:02 PM
and that's why americans can't appreciate the 'great game'

It's on OLN now tohugh

Toothless Canadians skating around a rink. Yeah that "great game" is so good they don't even televise it anymore.

FlyinS
09-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Football>UFC (I like the merger with Pride)>Hockey>Baseball>DDO

Sorry, I love my sports. Watching and playing. Sports will always and forever trump an online video game.

Watched football at a friend's house yesterday that has the Sunday Ticket. 5 TV's in one room with different games on all of them and the radio playing the Brewers game. It was like a tiny slice of heaven.

Dariuss
09-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Toothless Canadians skating around a rink. Yeah that "great game" is so good they don't even televise it anymore.

you're skating on thin ice there bud

ZarakNur
09-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Since this is an opinion post, please remember, this is just MY opinion.

Wow, folks there no choice here.(At least for me).

I enjoy sports, but only if i'm playing them or attending a live event.

Having grown up near Detroit, I really have no love of Professional football.

The Baseball option has been closed for me since the strike.

I'm sorry but Basketball bores me to tears.

Any other televised 'sport' is a waste of time if you ask me, except for one: Hockey.

I have played baseball, football and hockey. The only one I have any respect for is Hockey.

Any knucklehead with a modicum of athletic ability can play football or baseball (not professionally mind you but in general). I mean everyone can run and throw and catch if they have even an average dexterity.

Hockey requires much more: Extreme stamina, extreme balance, the ability to maintain awareness around you while controlling a puck and moving at top speed down the ice, the ability to take a hit and keep on your skates beneath you (most of the time).

How many of you can even skate without falling down?

Besides, any sport that can spawn a great man like Don Cherry is golden in my book.

So back to the point, DDO vs Football, no choice DDO all the way.

DDO vs Hockey...

Umm, i'll get back with you on that one.

kbmay44
09-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Football always > DDO. Not even close. Sorry, but it's true. Even horrible games between two bad teams, like tonights Cards/Niners matchup. (Why is that even on Monday night????? :confused: )

The Cards have a new stadium to show of. :p

PranasP
09-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Football comes first.

Pol!

Good to see you here.

Hmmm, since I know you I must ask this

Football or Lacrosse?

Dariuss
09-10-2007, 03:43 PM

Any other televised 'sport' is a waste of time if you ask me, except for one: Hockey.

I have played baseball, football and hockey. The only one I have any respect for is Hockey.

Any knucklehead with a modicum of athletic ability can play football or baseball (not professionally mind you but in general). I mean everyone can run and throw and catch if they have even an average dexterity.

Hockey requires much more: Extreme stamina, extreme balance, the ability to maintain awareness around you while controlling a puck and moving at top speed down the ice, the ability to take a hit and keep on your skates beneath you (most of the time).

Besides, any sport that can spawn a great man like Don Cherry is golden in my book.

DDO vs Hockey...

yes!

good man!

/hands you a big boy ale cup

Hvymetal
09-10-2007, 07:11 PM

DDO vs Hockey...

If I was from Detroit I'd probablly feel the same way, I mean the Lions??? :)

Shamguard
09-10-2007, 07:59 PM

DDO vs Hockey...

Got one better: Water Polo, at least when you get tired in Hockey you can stand in one place or lean against a wall. In Water Polo you don't have those options, you either swim or leave the game. (or drown:) )

FlyinS
09-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Got one better: Water Polo, at least when you get tired in Hockey you can stand in one place or lean against a wall. In Water Polo you don't have those options, you either swim or leave the game. (or drown:) )
Played water polo for 5 years as a goalie. Toughest damn sport I ever played.

Shadowblizmasta
09-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Is this even a question?

DDO for the win, any non-sports game actually, nearly anything is preferable to watching a bunch of people play a game when I could play a more fun game myself. I've never understood why people like watching people play games.

Borrigain
09-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Is this even a question?

DDO for the win, any non-sports game actually, nearly anything is preferable to watching a bunch of people play a game when I could play a more fun game myself. I've never understood why people like watching people play games.

So you can have something to do while drinking beer, and fool the wife into thinking it's the other way around. :D

Borr.

Shadowblizmasta
09-17-2007, 06:25 PM
So you can have something to do while drinking beer, and fool the wife into thinking it's the other way around. :D

Borr.

This MIGHT work if I wasn't only 17 and straightedge. But I'm not married, nor do I have a fondness for anything alcohol, makes me sick to my stomach whenever I've tried it.

Borrigain
09-17-2007, 06:57 PM
This MIGHT work if I wasn't only 17 and straightedge. But I'm not married, nor do I have a fondness for anything alcohol, makes me sick to my stomach whenever I've tried it.

Don't cha worry laddie, once you get married you'll find your fondness for alcohol soon enough. Then you'll pick up sports for a reason to drink wholesome nutritious alcohol. :D

I'm sorry to say, but it's a vicious conspiracy propagated by valentine's day suppliers, Budweiser, and TV networks. And your tinfoil hat doesn't work on it either. That only protects you from space aliens and the gov't. Not capitalists.

moorewr
09-17-2007, 08:10 PM
That's where everyone was last night!

Anyone for some futi?
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1810234441

I know there is a thread going on about football and who you all like.

But I ask you what is more important. Watching Monday/Thursday night football or playing DDO? We won't discuss football on Sundays. DDO is MUCH more important I mean, come on. :D

Im sorry but its playing DDO all the way. Yes I love football, and for those of you playing DDO and paying more attention to the game on TV/radio for shame!

(this is just an attempt at humor).:D

Elleron
09-17-2007, 08:22 PM
Football can be taped - or for those not knowing what taped is - digitally recorded so you can watch when wife aggro kicks in.

Shamguard
09-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Football can be taped - or for those not knowing what taped is - digitally recorded so you can watch when wife aggro kicks in.

Recorded football is like doing WW or STK with a level 14 party. The visual is the same, but there is just no excitment when everyone knows how the thing is going to end. I enjoy watching live sports when the end is not a sure thing.

Cupcake
09-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Recorded football is like doing WW or STK with a level 14 party. The visual is the same, but there is just no excitment when everyone knows how the thing is going to end. I enjoy watching live sports when the end is not a sure thing.

Unless you like me and dont watch the news and don't know how it ended LOL.

Attomic
09-24-2007, 06:14 AM
I'm just sick and tired of the thuggish playground "style" of most sports these days. I quit watching the NBA and the NFL some time ago when they stopped having GAMES and started having continual self-hype, tantrums and showboating punctuated with occasional actual GAMEPLAY. The death knell of the NFL for me was when Dallas gave Tom Landry an unceremonious, disrespectful boot; he and Bear Bryant marked the end of the time when sports were SPORTS.

Ringlord
09-24-2007, 07:15 AM
Hockey is a third rate sport. Anyone can learn fairly quickly how to skate and move a stupid rubber disc around on the ice with a stick and do it at a reasonable speed ( coming to a stop is most peoples problem LOL ) I can skate very well and I can handle a puck and stick no problem. I feel hockey season is about 8 months too long and that does not even count the pre-season. It is a Winter sport and most of it does not even take place during the winter. It starts mid-Fall and runs into Summer.

The whole bad boy, tough guy image of hockey is based on the idiots who play it doing things on the ice that are not in the rules ( fighting ) that would get you arrested for assault outside that rink or if you are just a fan in the stands and people find it entertaining. The hitting during play I can see as it IS an actual part of the sport, but the fighting is not needed if I want to see a fight I will watch boxing.

Now if they adopted the Olympic rules concerning fighting in the NHL then I would consider it a sport worth watching more. Fight and you are gone from the game and the tournament. Ok they would have to adjust that a bit since the NHL season is a bit longer than a 2 week Olympic tournament, but a suspension for so many games would cut down the idiocy.

Btw I would put the endurance of a soccer player up against a hockey player any day. Yes hockey is played at a faster pace, but they play in 5 - 10 minute shifts of 3 - 4 groups. Soccer players play the whole game with only 2 subs allowed the whole time and they may play slower over all, but are on a much bigger playing field. Oh and no I am not a fan of soccer either.

Now football is played at several speeds depending on the tactical situation and the current score. There is plenty of hitting and it even results in a fight now and then, but as soon as it starts refs, coaches and other players move to break it up not sit back and watch because it does not belong in the game and player pay for fighting out of their pockets and with ejections from the game instead of just getting a 5 or 10 minute rest for just that one game.

The whole point of my little rant here is if you dislike a sport or are biased to one over another you can find any number of reasons to run down the ones you don't like and build up the one you do as the best. It is all a matter of opinion :D

Attomic
09-25-2007, 06:04 AM
Hockey is a third rate sport. Anyone can learn fairly quickly how to skate and move a stupid rubber disc around on the ice with a stick and do it at a reasonable speed ( coming to a stop is most peoples problem LOL ) I can skate very well and I can handle a puck and stick no problem. I feel hockey season is about 8 months too long and that does not even count the pre-season. It is a Winter sport and most of it does not even take place during the winter. It starts mid-Fall and runs into Summer.

The whole bad boy, tough guy image of hockey is based on the idiots who play it doing things on the ice that are not in the rules ( fighting ) that would get you arrested for assault outside that rink or if you are just a fan in the stands and people find it entertaining. The hitting during play I can see as it IS an actual part of the sport, but the fighting is not needed if I want to see a fight I will watch boxing.

Now if they adopted the Olympic rules concerning fighting in the NHL then I would consider it a sport worth watching more. Fight and you are gone from the game and the tournament. Ok they would have to adjust that a bit since the NHL season is a bit longer than a 2 week Olympic tournament, but a suspension for so many games would cut down the idiocy.

Btw I would put the endurance of a soccer player up against a hockey player any day. Yes hockey is played at a faster pace, but they play in 5 - 10 minute shifts of 3 - 4 groups. Soccer players play the whole game with only 2 subs allowed the whole time and they may play slower over all, but are on a much bigger playing field. Oh and no I am not a fan of soccer either.

Now football is played at several speeds depending on the tactical situation and the current score. There is plenty of hitting and it even results in a fight now and then, but as soon as it starts refs, coaches and other players move to break it up not sit back and watch because it does not belong in the game and player pay for fighting out of their pockets and with ejections from the game instead of just getting a 5 or 10 minute rest for just that one game.

The whole point of my little rant here is if you dislike a sport or are biased to one over another you can find any number of reasons to run down the ones you don't like and build up the one you do as the best. It is all a matter of opinion :D

Amazing. I'm not even a hockey fan and I can see that you're dismissing it out of hand:

"Anyone can learn fairly quickly how to skate and move a stupid rubber disc around on the ice with a stick and do it at a reasonable speed ( coming to a stop is most peoples problem LOL ) I can skate very well and I can handle a puck and stick no problem."

Anyone can run around. LOADS of people run continuously for hours at a time. There aren't many NFL-sized people who can go FAST continuously on SKATES, handle getting banged around (sorry, but when you see world-class soccer players go for the Oscar when they've just been TOUCHED, it sort of puts hockey in a whole new perspective) while they're DOING that, handle a stick precisely and lightning-fast, not to mention with power, etc... Hockey just requires a lot more 1) athletic ability, 2) endurance and 3) control than the others.

Me? I still prefer football. I just don't watch the NFL any more and am about to give up on most college football because of the aforementioned thuggish playing style that seems to be becoming the norm.

Ringlord
09-25-2007, 06:51 AM
No Attomic I was not dismissing hockey out of hand. I was making the same point about how anyone can play hockey at a certain level just like the other poster was saying about any other sport, but threw in the qualifying statement of "I don't mean professionally" The other poster who went on about how much greater hockey is than other sports was saying other sports are all so simple and easy to play that anyone can do them although not at the professional level and I just pointed out that anyone can play hockey too. I mean hey if I can do it at 350 pounds with a modicum of skill then so can anyone else.

Just like in any sport players at the professional level have to have a certain amount of natural talent for the game. There are the exceptions who make it there on just pure hard work and determination because they lack any of the natural talent that marks other players, but they love the sport so much they work twice as hard as other and make up for it. This is true in anything human beings do. Some find it easy to do a particular thing and hardly have to work at it to make it seem the easiest thing in the world while others have to work very hard.

I said if they played hockey like they do during the Olympics I would find it much more interesting to watch.

Dariuss
09-25-2007, 02:27 PM
No Attomic I was not dismissing hockey out of hand. I was making the same point about how anyone can play hockey at a certain level just like the other poster was saying about any other sport, but threw in the qualifying statement of "I don't mean professionally" The other poster who went on about how much greater hockey is than other sports was saying other sports are all so simple and easy to play that anyone can do them although not at the professional level and I just pointed out that anyone can play hockey too. I mean hey if I can do it at 350 pounds with a modicum of skill then so can anyone else.

Just like in any sport players at the professional level have to have a certain amount of natural talent for the game. There are the exceptions who make it there on just pure hard work and determination because they lack any of the natural talent that marks other players, but they love the sport so much they work twice as hard as other and make up for it. This is true in anything human beings do. Some find it easy to do a particular thing and hardly have to work at it to make it seem the easiest thing in the world while others have to work very hard.

I said if they played hockey like they do during the Olympics I would find it much more interesting to watch.

I think he sort of meant that anyone can grab a football and a couple buddies and play some football.. same with soccer...with hockey you need an ice rink and the abiltiy to skate and skates and sticks and pucks and nets....

no, it's not hard to learn how to skate, but you do have to put some effort into it before you can play hockey

(speaking of ice hockey here, which is a very different animal form floor or street hockey)