PDA

View Full Version : Building a battle Bard??? HELP

shoebox747
09-09-2007, 10:30 PM
hey guys listen, i love building chars and i have made 5 pretty decent chars already, i love meaning something in battle to show im worth something, anyway my rogue has less hit points but he makes it up big time with traps but i was planning on building a bard my stats i was thinking
18 strenght
12 dex
18 con
10 wis
10 char

dont know if that is accurate but i was planning on full strenght and con also what race should i choose for a good battle bard?

Slayer918
09-09-2007, 10:52 PM
I'll be going Dwarf with starting stats looking like this:
18 str
10 dex
16 con I personally think spending 6 build points is a perfect sweet spot for con but thats just me
8 int
10 wis
12 cha

Thats what I would do for 32 point builds

However if you dont have 32 point builds then you could drop 2 of these three dex/con/wis by 2 points

Also you should consider that bards don't get martial weapon prof. in anything except longbows, rapiers, SS and maybe longswords? so If your like me and want to swing a greataxe you should take 1 level of fighter atleast pick up a feat and martial prof. 12/2 and 10/4 also seem to be good level splits to me

nbhs275
09-09-2007, 11:30 PM
drop the str to 16 or 17, and spend those points in cha. Its worth having because nomatter how you play your cards its important to have a decent cha

skraus1
09-11-2007, 10:26 AM
drop the str to 16 or 17, and spend those points in cha. Its worth having because nomatter how you play your cards its important to have a decent cha

For a battle buffing bard, a 10 or 12 cha is fine. I have a capped barb/rogue/bard with a 10 starting cha (16 with items), whose build is listed on these forums in the Zhaffy thread, and I love her. Very fun to play.

I mean bard DCs suck with a 20 cha (which is great for a dwarf battle bard), which means you can get a 19 base DC on ottos sphere. Using scrolls will get you a 17 alone, as the level on a scroll is wizard, not bard levels. A wizard with a 32 int would be at a 28 base DC for the same spell. Once DCs get that low, you shouldn't be wasting you mana casting spells with a save when you could be doing useful things like buffing, healing or beating things down. Use scrolls if you feel like you need to cast, as you only will have 2 dc less and can do that all day....if you can find the scrolls. If you do decide to cast spells make sure to use a few enervation scrolls on it before hand, as that will be about the only way they're going to fail....unless you are concerned about little trashy mobs for some reason.

10 or 12 Cha is up to you, any thing higher and you'll just be wasting your tiny mana pool.

Schmackdown
09-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Once DCs get that low, you shouldn't be wasting you mana casting spells with a save when you could be doing useful things like buffing, healing or beating things down.... 10 or 12 Cha is up to you, any thing higher and you'll just be wasting your tiny mana pool.
QFT.

Dumping CC as a focus entirely means more room for spells like DD and FoM, too.