PDA

View Full Version : Pack Polka

WhatTheFerret
09-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Thank you Turbine for creating an excellent game. I'm having a great time playing. Each time I try a different class, it feels like a brand new game.

If there is one thing that gets me though is dancing pack items. Let me provide an example. My main is a cleric that relies heavily on wands, which allows me to focus my mana on offense and buffs. Like a good little boy I make sure my pack is nice and neat before a mission, with all my wands together (which allows me to take a very quick visual inventory), weapons in another tab, switchable helms and the like in another. With each switch of weapon, wand and the like, accompanied by the addition of new loot, my items begin the pack polka, dancing around my pack, it's like a huge cha-cha line starting in the first tab, dancing through my pack. For the love of God man! There ends up being weapons on my wands tab!

The hotbars are a workable but weak solution to this problem. Currently, besides placing all of my wands on the same tab, I also place them on a vertical hotbar. This gives me a visual thermostat of how this mission is going (Holy whack-a-mole batman! I've gone through a lot of wands! Meat shield isn't supposed to be a literal term!) But besides assuaging my obsessive compulsive disorder it will allow some cool things. Wouldn't it be nice if you can organize your pack so that the first tab is clear? After a mission you could take a one glance inventory of all of the loot attained just by looking at the first tab. As opposed to sorting through every item you switched through that mission. Or keeping all your weapons together to allow a quick inventory of your current offensive options? Wizards could do the same for wands.

Here is the part where I say how easy it would be to do and describe a solution even though I know nothing about the game's backend structure. Please read the following line with your best "Valley Girl" voice. "But, don't you even know... like... all you need to do is associate items with a specific pack location... now lets go to the mall!". It could be easy to program, could be hard, not my business to say. I just know it'd be a nice feature.

Thanks for creating a very enjoyable game. Please end the bird dance in my pack.

What the ferret?....

jaitee
09-08-2007, 12:39 PM
i found this annoying but got over it, the bag was just another useless horde item place

hannika
09-08-2007, 02:57 PM
i found this incredibly annoying when i started playing the game, i eventually got over it but it'd be super nice if stuff could be locked to the place in the pack.

Staedtler
09-08-2007, 03:01 PM
I tried doing that for the first while as well. Now I use and abuse hotbars. My cleric runs around with 14 hotbars and I'm considering adding more.

Do yourself a favor and buy a widescreen monitor for extra hotbar goodness!

Attomic
09-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Hi, my name is Attomic, and I'm a hotbaraholic.

Jebin
09-08-2007, 05:53 PM
If your wands and weapons end up in your first bag and you're not using any 2 handed weaponry, it's because you're using the items sets.

With normal item swapping, the item removed goes directly into the place where the item equiped just was. This may not keep it as neat as you like, but it keeps it all in the general area-try keeping your wands and weapons one one tab, and if you don't use the Item Sets they'll all stay on that tab.

With the Item Sets, it doesn't work that nicely and your off hand equipment usually ends up in the first open slot, usually in the first bag.

Try to avoid the Item Sets, and your inventory will stop looking so mixed up.

As far as swapping helms and other equipment, these will stay where you put them if you're swapping between just 2. Any more and you'll end up having them mixing themselves up in their own slots, but they won't jump out of line to the first bag.

hannika
09-08-2007, 06:39 PM
As far as swapping helms and other equipment, these will stay where you put them if you're swapping between just 2. Any more and you'll end up having them mixing themselves up in their own slots, but they won't jump out of line to the first bag.

i don't think i have a single piece of gear that i only swap with one other piece. i have usually have 3-5 of each item i'm swapping out. hell i've got 10 rings.

Jebin
09-08-2007, 06:54 PM
i don't think i have a single piece of gear that i only swap with one other piece. i have usually have 3-5 of each item i'm swapping out. hell i've got 10 rings.

Yes, but as I was saying, if you have 10 rings, 8 inventory slots will be filled by your extras. Those 8 slots will never move, but which ring is in which slot will change. So place them in the back of your packs, put them all on a hotbar, and forget about them.

Edit: I guess this only really works if you have one ring you never want to take off. The ring on the left side of the inventory doesn't get swapped out when using the hotbar.

If you want to swap out both rings on the fly, best way I can think to do it while not rooting through your entire inventory would be to click the first ring you want to equip, pop open the inventory, swap the right ring with the left ring, then click the second ring you want to equip.

Arlith
09-08-2007, 07:46 PM
I tried doing that for the first while as well. Now I use and abuse hotbars. My cleric runs around with 14 hotbars and I'm considering adding more.

Do yourself a favor and buy a widescreen monitor for extra hotbar goodness!

Phew! I thought I was a hotbaraholic, but I see now I was mistaken. I only have 10 up. So I have a few more to go before I get worried.

Attomic
09-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Phew! I thought I was a hotbaraholic, but I see now I was mistaken. I only have 10 up. So I have a few more to go before I get worried.

I'm a freakin' FIGHTER and have eight full bars up. Considering a ninth.

wundernewb
09-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Nothing is stopping you from opening your inventory and putting an item back where it's supposed to go when you select another item. Except you don't have that kind of time in the middle of a fight.

So you pull the item you need out of your pack, and toss the other one in haphazardly, because you don't have time to put it back where it goes.

In a way, it's kind of realistic :D

Drak
09-10-2007, 10:08 AM
10 on 3 toons and 12 on three others, do i need Hotbars Anon ?
For the OP, yeah i tried all that, and like everyone gave up, now my inv. is a shambles, forevermore.