PDA

View Full Version : New Wizard Question

KoboldKiller
09-05-2007, 04:44 PM
I have never gotten into spell casters whether PnP or DDO. I want to build a Wizard due to versatility and access to more spells. Is it necessary to focus on one type of spells to be effective? I see necro builds and enchanter builds and the such but can you focus on being well rounded? Instead of taking focus and then greater focus couldn't you take focus in two or three schools? I know the simple answer is play or build whatever you feel comfortable with but I would like to pull from the wealth of knowledge available on the forums.

Rameses
09-05-2007, 05:44 PM
I'd suggest honestly a 32pt Elf build. similar to mine :p

Str 8
Dex 10
Con 15
Int 18
Wis 11
Cha 8

with racial and class enhancements, +5 and +6 items, +1 Tomes and +2 Favor Tome your stats would look like this.

Str 14 (8 base, +5 item, +1 tome) To carry more loot and heavier loads!
Dex 10 (no items added.)
Con 22 (15 base, +6 item, +1 tome)
Int 32 (18 base, +6 "stormreavers napkin" or a +6 item, +2 tome, +3 Class, +3 level stat increases.)
Wis 16 (11 base, +5 item)
Cha 8 (no items added.)

Hit Points 216
Spell Points 1353

Saves Buffed 'NightShield & Greater Heroism' (which you should always be.)
Fort +17
Reflex +11
Will +19

FEATS (take in order that suits your taste.)
Empower Spell
Maximize Spell
Extend Spell
Mental Toughness
Improved mental toughness
Quicken Spell (getting ready for Mod 5: +10 to spell cost to cast like a sorc!)
Heighten Spell
Toughness (can't have enuff hit points in this day and age.)

enhancements (just the basics, spend the rest however you choose. Just be sure to have these in the end.)
Elf: Arcanum IV (more Spell points.)
Energy of the Scholar IV (more Spell points.)
Wizard Intellegence. (higher DCs and more Spell points)

I am, Rameses!

Locathus
09-05-2007, 05:51 PM
The short answer to your question:

No, it isn't necessary to specialize. I don't, and haven't had any issues.

Strakeln
09-05-2007, 07:44 PM
I'd suggest honestly a 32pt Elf build. similar to mine :p

Str 8
Dex 10
Con 15
Int 18
Wis 11
Cha 8Just want to point out that with a drow, you can have the following:

Str 10
Dex 10
Con 15
Int 18
Wis 11
Cha 10

If you're going with 18 int, a drow will give you better stats. Stats are not everything, but it nonetheless should be considered.

Rameses
09-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Drow don't offer the Elven Spell Point enhancements.

Strakeln
09-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Drow don't offer the Elven Spell Point enhancements.Yep, thats one advantage, albeit a small one... I'm not familiar with the line, but doesn't it cap out at 60 or 80 SP for a relatively large AP investment?

Another point to consider, certainly. I guess one could argue that the Drow have the SR enhancement line, but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone taking it.

crimsonretribution
09-06-2007, 07:34 AM
I've never taken a focus feat and I don't have any issues in level 14 elite quests, so I think you'll be fine. One thing that definitely does help, however, is the Stormreaver's Napkin (from the Reaver raid) which gives +6 int AND +1 to ALL spell DCs, that's basically like taking the feats for all the spell schools :p

KoboldKiller
09-06-2007, 08:58 AM
I appreciate everyone's input, thank you.

Aspenor
09-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Specializing is not necessary, although it can be fun and entertaining, and quite effective.

My first wizard was unspecialized, and I got by just fine with him. My second wizard is HIGHLY specialized in necromancy, and I do wonderfully with him as well. I could do an enchanter just as well. IMHO "evokers" are best played as sorceror-nukers, but that's just like, my opinion man.

Aspenor
09-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Ins and outs of various races as pertains to being a WIZARD:

Halflings - high saves, low carrying weight
High Elves - Elven Arcanum SP enhancement, lower CON, bonuses to saves vs enchantments, immunity to sleep
Drow - Highest casting stat/DCs, lower CON, bonuses to saves vs enchantments, immunity to sleep
Human - Extra Feat, Can meet Drow casting stat levels currently, 1 more skill point per level, can have higher hit points than elves or drow, achieving drow-level DCs requires high-end and raid loot
Dwarves - High con and hit points, high durability, bonuses to saves vs magic
Warforged - high con and hit points, self healing, high durability, warforged immunities, hard for clerics to heal

Jakylpops
09-06-2007, 09:34 AM
I'd prefer that you didn't, it just makes those of us who do specialize stand out and look that much better. :p