PDA

View Full Version : Help me Salvage my Ranger

Flint_Redbeard
09-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Well i stopped playing for about a year and i came back to ddo.. many plagues upon wow i still curse the day i left. All that aside lv 10 elf ranger with following start stats.

Elf rgr lv 10
str 14
dex 18 (20 after stat bump lv 4 and 8)
con 10
int 10
wis 14
cha 8

Well from what i hear bows are worthless end game so TWF is probably the way to go. As far as enhancements and feats go im clueless, like i said i stopped playing at around the twilight forge when you couldnt redo feats and you could only pick 4 enhancements so alots changed since then. Also i dont know if theyve added new feats or gotten rid of some or retweaked the mechanics of others. So any advice and suggestions are helpful.

Qzipoun
09-05-2007, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't say bows are useless end game. I have a dwarf ranger that I used twf with all the way to 14th level. Then I picked up some nice bows and every once in a while I switch to bows during fights. In terms of damage, yes, bows are not as good as they should be, but damage isn't always the way to go and precise shot is a hell of a feat you get for free ;)

In you build, I would just recommend getting all the Dexterity enhancements. You're an elf so you should be able to get Ranger Dexterity I,II,III as well as Elven Dexterity I,II (not sure at what levels you get what but i'd highly recommend getting as much as you can but make sure you stay at an even number, don't waste action points to have an odd dexterity score).

What feats do you already have? All you need to be able to twf is weapon finesse and dual-wield finessable weapons. You won't be doing as much damage as other classes but stat damage or cursepewing and the like are very nice when you have 7 hits per round ;)

Girevik
09-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Feats are respecable now, so knowing what you have will be useful.

As already stated, with your Dex as far ahead of your Strength as it is, you definitely want Weapon Finesse.

I think your damage should be fine if you go ahead and take Power Attack. (That does work with Finesse Weapons, right?)

You can boost your to-hit and damage by using Rapiers and using the Elf Rapier (and Longsword) Enhancements.

Your biggest problem is going to be hit points. (I like being able to take a shot or three.) Just try not to draw too much agro.

teddok
09-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Get 1750 Favor and then reroll. That will let you learn more about the game and It will hopfully give you what you want.

QuantumFX
09-05-2007, 02:45 PM
You have good base stats to work with and no multiclassing to get in your way. I have no idea how you spent your skill points so I didn't include any info there. This is the direction I'd take the build if you want to keep it pure ranger. Ranged combat is situational - However it doesn't take much to make an elven ranger into a ranged powerhouse in those situations.

Go do Temple of Vol to get a Silver Longbow and get house D favor to get the spiffy house D ammo. For melee use rapiers often (Preferably puncturing rapiers.). Since you're an elf with the elf rapier enhancements you can dual weild them like no one's business. If you keep up with the STR boosting items you can use longswords when you face undead.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 2.70
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 14 Neutral Good Elf Male
(14 Ranger)
Hit Points: 148
Spell Points: 191
BAB: 14\14\19\24
Fortitude: 9
Reflex: 18
Will: 6

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Stats Modified Stats
Abilities (Level 1) (Level 14)
Strength 14 14
Dexterity 18 28
Constitution 10 10
Intelligence 10 10
Wisdom 14 14
Charisma 8 8

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 14

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 14)
Balance 4 9
Bluff -1 -1
Concentration 0 0
Diplomacy -1 -1
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle -1 -1
Heal 2 2
Hide 4 9
Intimidate -1 -1
Jump 2 2
Listen 2 4
Move Silently 4 9
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 0 0
Search 0 2
Spot 2 4
Swim 2 2
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Finesse

Level 2 (Ranger)

Level 3 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 4 (Ranger)

Level 5 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Giant

Level 6 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 7 (Ranger)

Level 8 (Ranger)

Level 9 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Piercing Weapons

Level 10 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider
Enhancement: Elven Dexterity I
Enhancement: Elven Dexterity II
Enhancement: Elven Enchantment Resistance I
Enhancement: Elven Enchantment Resistance II
Enhancement: Elf Melee Attack I
Enhancement: Elf Melee Attack II
Enhancement: Elf Melee Damage I
Enhancement: Elf Melee Damage II
Enhancement: Elf Ranged Attack I
Enhancement: Elf Ranged Attack II
Enhancement: Elf Ranged Damage I
Enhancement: Elf Ranged Damage II
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage I
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity I
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity II

Level 11 (Ranger)

Level 12 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity III

Level 13 (Ranger)

Level 14 (Ranger)

CSFurious
09-05-2007, 03:53 PM
first, a good ranger moves between ranged combat & two-weapon fighting base on the situation

second, me thinks you need some more hitpoints; i have 144 hitpoints with my ranger/fighter @ level 9 & she is holding her own

do not be afraid of the multi-class

Impaqt
09-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Well i stopped playing for about a year and i came back to ddo.. many plagues upon wow i still curse the day i left. All that aside lv 10 elf ranger with following start stats.

Elf rgr lv 10
str 14
dex 18 (20 after stat bump lv 4 and 8)
con 10
int 10
wis 14
cha 8

Well from what i hear bows are worthless end game so TWF is probably the way to go. As far as enhancements and feats go im clueless, like i said i stopped playing at around the twilight forge when you couldnt redo feats and you could only pick 4 enhancements so alots changed since then. Also i dont know if theyve added new feats or gotten rid of some or retweaked the mechanics of others. So any advice and suggestions are helpful.

Wel, I think you should start by telling us what youfeel is "Broke" abou tyour Ranger...... I see nothing in this post that screams out "Broken" Of course you left out what feats you do have..... Maybe your just looking for advice on Enhancements?

binnsr
09-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Wel, I think you should start by telling us what youfeel is "Broke" abou tyour Ranger...... I see nothing in this post that screams out "Broken" Of course you left out what feats you do have..... Maybe your just looking for advice on Enhancements?

/agreed

Without more information on current feats, there's little that can be done to help.

Also, an idea of what you want your ranger to do as he/she progresses might help also.

My suggestion is to just play him/her and see where things go - as was already mentioned, there doesn't appear to be anything 'broke' about the stat layout - it seems very viable to me.

For enhancement advice, I would take a look at this tool (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/%7Edelallea/ddo/enh/) that tihocan whipped up.. I use it almost exclusively and redo enhancements on at least one character every couple of weeks as my equipment and needs change.

Flint_Redbeard
09-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Feats weapon finesse, dodge, Point blank shot, weapon focus ranged
hmm maybe i was going for shot on the run to start off and decided not to later on.

um now for the skills bear with me
.5 bluff, 2 heal, 13 hide, 7 jump.., 13 listen, 13 move silently, 13 search, 13 spot, 1 tumble.. The half point of bluff i think i took around the time of delera's tomb cause i thought i could buff it high enough to not pay that much gold heh. Tumble hmm i think i did that for the ac bonus or something

My items i have a +4 str bracers elf only, +4 dex gloves, mummified bat, cloak of shadows, +2 con belt, +5 jump 10 % striding boots, wis +2 neck, trapblast goggles, +5 padded armor, + 5 hvy shield, acrobats ring, silver longbow, a cursespewing composite +1, +2 wounding pure good sickle,

34 ac 110 hp ok thats all i can think of. As for why i think im gimped well did dragon raid few nights back couldnt keep up with kills, and mobs seemed hard for me... hmm maybe its just an over sight that its a raid and the other peeps are higher lv heh w/e I just want to kick some ass and if bows or twf is better at end game clue me in. Thanx for reading this drabble

Blazer
09-05-2007, 07:12 PM
If you are trying to keep up with kills, TWF is the way to go. Ranged combat falls behind when it comes to kill count, sorry to say.

Out of these feats:

weapon finesse
dodge
Point blank shot
weapon focus ranged

you should only keep Weapon Finesse. Focus Ranged isn't that necessary since you are an elf and can take enhancements to boost your ranged attack if you want. Point Blank Shot is now granted to you. Dodge - meh, I'm not a fan unless you're going for Spring Attack.

Take a look at QuantumFX's build for ideas about how to respec some of your feats. Power Attack is key here since it adds an additional 5 damage to each weapon's attack. Improved Critical (be it pierce or slash) is also needed to boost overall DPS.

The main reason you were behind in that dragon raid - other than a couple of feats - is that your weapons are dramatically underpowered. Silver Bow is a hell of a nice bow, but not really needed in VON 5. Go TWF and look to use some elemental of pure good weapons in there. Your damage output will increase just with an upgrade to your gear.

What server are you on?

binnsr
09-05-2007, 07:15 PM
IPoint Blank Shot is now granted to you.
Did you mean precise shot?

The Compendium (http://www.ddo.com/index.php?page_id=339&menus=c:cf&do=classabilities&cf_id=6&cmi=3:6)doesn't have it listed and I've always had to take it on my characters that wanted it...

Flint_Redbeard
09-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Im on argonesson My ranger's Name is Rivyr

Blazer
09-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Did you mean precise shot?

The Compendium (http://www.ddo.com/index.php?page_id=339&menus=c:cf&do=classabilities&cf_id=6&cmi=3:6)doesn't have it listed and I've always had to take it on my characters that wanted it...

Kind of, yeah. What I meant was that the feats that require PBS are granted to you, so you don't really need to take PBS anymore. At least, I don't think taking PBS on a ranger is a good use of a feat. If something gets that close to you, pull out the melee weapons. :)

Blazer
09-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Im on argonesson My ranger's Name is Rivyr

Too bad, I could have hooked you up if you were on Khyber. :(

GeneralDiomedes
09-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Feats which will increase the kill count of a dex based Ranger (rated out of 5 IMO)

Improved Critical: Piercing 5/5
Power Attack 5/5
Power Critical 3.5/5
Improved Critical: Ranged 3/5
Weapon Focus: Piercing 2/5
Weapon Focus: Ranged 1/5

I would also look at Toughness since you have a fairly low CON.

Since I assume you are level 10, I would also look at some modest multi-classing.

1 level of Rogue would give you UMD for things like Displacement scrolls to increase your melee survivability, and the attack Haste boost.

1 level of Fighter would give you access to the attack Haste boost and the Critical Accuracy enhancement.

Flint_Redbeard
09-05-2007, 09:46 PM
well hell i dont know where to go giants hold gets me masacred and i dont know where to go near that desert place....>_<

Blazer
09-06-2007, 12:31 AM
well hell i dont know where to go giants hold gets me masacred and i dont know where to go near that desert place....>_<

I think you just need to become re-acquainted with the game and it's ins and outs. Mainly, I think you need to pick up another level or two...10 is a bit low to be in Gianthold, especially given your current gear set-up. Keep doing VONs, maybe look to do some Twilight Forge stuff, that will get you some XP. The Pit - while not a favorite for some people - yields good XP, see if you can get in a group to do that. Threnal is always a good option. Running for favor may actually yield some XP for you, too.

Don't get frustrated. You're on Argo so there are tons of people and guilds there. Try to get picked up by some people you like playing with and get a feel for the game again. You'll be fine man, trust me. :)