PDA

View Full Version : Rookie 32 point Wizard Build?

Talcyndl
09-04-2007, 09:41 AM
With the impending increase in character slots, I'm considering adding a Wizard to my stable.

The closest I've played to a caster is my level 6 Cleric.

I've looked around for builds, but everything I've seen is either old (and therefore doesn't take account of recent changes) or is super specialized or role-playing.

I'm just looking for a straightforward 32 point Wizard build. A character that won't require all sorts of uber Raid loot.

Any links, suggestions, etc.?

Thanks.

sigtrent
09-04-2007, 11:15 AM
The thing is.. a traditional wizard is about the easiest character in the world to build.

Max Int, take a decent Con score, take extend and eventualy maximize and whatever else sounds like fun to you. Everything else is just flavor.

I like having a decent Str or Dex so I can at least solo the solo quests.

Human and Drow are the most popular, WF is especialy strong due to self healing and immunities. Elf can be fun and dwarf is alwasy a durable choice. Halfling doesn't have anything special to recomend it but it isn't a bad choice.

So long as you have 16+ int and 10+ con... you can't really go wrong.

Rameses
09-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Hey Tac... Good to see you moving over to Arcanes. It will be good to see your posts in the Wizard Forum once you get settled in.

I'd suggest honestly a 32pt Elf build. similar to mine :p

Str 8
Dex 10
Con 15
Int 18
Wis 11
Cha 8

with racial and class enhancements, +5 and +6 items, +1 Tomes and +2 Favor Tome your stats would look like this.

Str 14 (8 base, +5 item, +1 tome) To carry more loot and heavier loads!
Dex 10 (no items added.)
Con 22 (15 base, +6 item, +1 tome)
Int 32 (18 base, +6 "stormreavers napkin" or a +6 item, +2 tome, +3 Class, +3 level stat increases.)
Wis 16 (11 base, +5 item)
Cha 8 (no items added.)

Hit Points 216
Spell Points 1353

Saves Buffed 'NightShield & Greater Heroism' (which you should always be.)
Fort +17
Reflex +11
Will +19

FEATS (take in order that suits your taste.)
Empower Spell
Maximize Spell
Extend Spell
Mental Toughness
Improved mental toughness
Quicken Spell (getting ready for Mod 5: +10 to spell cost to cast like a sorc!)
Heighten Spell
Toughness (can't have enuff hit points in this day and age.)

enhancements (just the basics, spend the rest however you choose. Just be sure to have these in the end.)
Elf: Arcanum IV (more Spell points.)
Energy of the Scholar IV (more Spell points.)
Wizard Intellegence. (higher DCs and more Spell points)

I am, Rameses!

RandomToon
09-04-2007, 02:37 PM
With the impending increase in character slots, I'm considering adding a Wizard to my stable.

The closest I've played to a caster is my level 6 Cleric.

I've looked around for builds, but everything I've seen is either old (and therefore doesn't take account of recent changes) or is super specialized or role-playing.

I'm just looking for a straightforward 32 point Wizard build. A character that won't require all sorts of uber Raid loot.

Any links, suggestions, etc.?

Thanks.

Wizards are easy, but to make a build be "general" I will make it be somewhat incomplete so you can fill in the blanks for yourself and your play style.

Basically, max out Int, and don't use CON as a dump stat, and you probably won't be making a mistake that can't be fixed later. So, here is a 32 point build off the top of my head:

Halfling, Str 10 (for carrying stuff), Con 16, Int 18. The rest is base.
Alignment LG for some "uber raid loot" that won't be mentioned, but good to be pragmatic anyway.

Skills to keep maxxed out are Concentration and Jump. Have enough tumble to be able to actually tumble, if you think it is fun. The rest is up to you. UMD comes highly recommended, but you will be able to self heal without it and will not get so high that you can rez. Another good one could be Diplomacy.

Wizard Feats are 1. Extend 4. Maximize 8. Heighten 12. Whatever one you want - empower works nice to kill bosses faster, but you can play with things like enlarge or quicken if you want.
General Feats are 1. Lesser dragon mark for healing 3. Mental Toughness 6. Next Dragon Mark 9. Greater Dragon Mark 12. Whatever floats your boat (imp mental toughness, spell pen, toughness, spell focus...).
Don't like the healing dragon mark? Don't take it, take something else. Spell focus is good, depening on what you want to focus on. You can always change these so don't worry TOO much, although you want to put some thought into it.
However, if you don't want the dragonmarks of healing, you might want to consider something other than Halfling. If you like the self healing bit, Warforged works well, because you can still self heal, and even though you get half healing effect from the cleric, you don't have THAT much health anyway...

Buy INT enhancements. Choose a damage type and buy up the damage enhancements for it. Buy the enhancements for extra uses of dragon marks, and for spell points. Most other things are gravy, and since it can be respecced for cash, don't worry about making a mistake.

For spells, take the common staples that people know how to work with/want cast on them like Wall of Fire, Resist Energy, Haste, Disco Ball, (Greater) Heroism. You will have enough slots to experiment though, and be a general wizard.

When you level, put all the stats into INT.

It's flexible, it works, it self heals/heals the cleric, and has a lot (for a wizard) of HP (166 hp at 14 with a +4 con item, and an improved false life item).

Bear in mind I am doing the math at work off the top of my head, and I have no character planner.

Have fun.

RandomToon
09-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Quicken Spell (getting ready for Mod 5: +10 to spell cost to cast like a sorc!)

And to not get interrupted (unless they take that part away). Makes it a MUCH better feat to have now.

Talcyndl
09-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks guys.

I had some free time yesterday and made a WF Wizard. With 18 Intel, 14 Con with Charisma as a dump.

I kinda like the whole self healing thing. But I guess the big downside is losing the Elf SP Enhancement line.

He's only just finished the intro quest though, so maybe I'll delete him and try for an Elf. Although I really like his name - Talbott. Wouldn't really work for an Elf. ;)

Decisions, decisions.

RandomToon
09-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks guys.

I had some free time yesterday and made a WF Wizard. With 18 Intel, 14 Con with Charisma as a dump.

I kinda like the whole self healing thing. But I guess the big downside is losing the Elf SP Enhancement line.

He's only just finished the intro quest though, so maybe I'll delete him and try for an Elf. Although I really like his name - Talbott. Wouldn't really work for an Elf. ;)

Decisions, decisions.

Just keep in mind that the elf enhancements are only good for another 60 spell points total. As much as I like elves, 60sp out of a pool of roughly 1200 is only a 5% gain in SP, but if you have enough UMD to wand reliably you should be ok but it won't be until higher levels.

You will likely wash in action points, or spend a little more for WF though - elves will likely spend on the SP's, but a WF might very likely choose to buy some ranks in healers friend, and probably inscribed armor (arcane spell failure unless you buy enhancements is why I don't like to play WF wizards...)

Up to you though - and I really like the name Talbott :)

Talcyndl
09-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Up to you though - and I really like the name Talbott :)

To go with Talcyndl (original 28 point halfling rogue), Taalc (28 point Drow Pally), Talguar (28 point Drow Cleric), and Talmorder (32 point Dorf Fighter).

Easier for my guildies to remember. :D

Talcyndl
09-05-2007, 10:43 AM
and probably inscribed armor (arcane spell failure unless you buy enhancements is why I don't like to play WF wizards...)

Yeah the 5% arcane failure was a bit of a surprise, but one in 20 chance is still pretty low. I'll have to check the inscribed armor enhancement.

Rameses
09-05-2007, 11:14 AM
I think at 2nd level or 3rd you get an enhancement that get rid of that.

Aspenor
09-05-2007, 11:43 AM
btw, quicken doesn't really let you cast at the speed of a sorc, it doesn't affect the cooldown times for spells last I used it.

RandomToon
09-05-2007, 12:54 PM
I think at 2nd level or 3rd you get an enhancement that get rid of that.

You are right, of course. I guess that I am still feeling burned from waaaay back in the old, only 4 enhancement system when I made my WF wiz and used one slot for healers friend, and another for inscribed armor. It was a hard choice then - easy choice now. This enhancement system really helped out the WF wiz...

Vengenance
09-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Ram,

Why an elf over say a dwarf? I just rolled a 32 pt dwarf wizzard last night and was able to start off with both 18 Int & 18 Con. At level 14 he'll have a 26 Con and close to 300 hit points. I think you and I both agree that trying to have a decent AC is a waste of skill points since the best defense in the game at high levels is Stoneskin + Displacement. The elven dex enhancements therefore do nothing for you, whereas the dwarves con enhancements along with dwarven toughness enhancements should play very nicely with a dwarven wizzard.

I understand the rationalle for going drow for maximum spell DCs or even Human for the extra feat and human adaptability stat increase to get you closer to the DCs of a drow, but I see no benifit, save for role playing reasons to choose an elf.

What am I missing here?

-Jer

Aspenor
09-05-2007, 04:32 PM
IMHO for 32 pt build casters, humans rule the roost. Just my opinion.

EDIT: In hindsight, this may be truer for sorcerors than wizards. An elf wizard has a bit more mana than the average wizard. I still have a tough time sacrificing CON for DEX on a caster, without the drow bonuses to caster stats.

Vengenance
09-05-2007, 06:48 PM
I was torn between human and dwarf, I think in the long run humans probably make a lot of sense. I really just wanted a very sturdy caster, lots of hit points for those end game mobs.

Does anyone know if you get the dwarven toughness enhancements when you take the toughness feat on a dwarven wizzard or is this only applicable to dwarven fighters?