PDA

View Full Version : Weapons...

Dargath01
09-04-2007, 09:04 AM
So generally speaking what are the 5 or 6 weapon types that a level 14 tank needs to try to aquire? Or should you be collecting a Greater Bane for every type of popular mob (i.e. Giants, Undead, etc...). I know paralyers and Vorpals are a nice to haves, but what are most level 14 tanks using?

I'm a straight slashing Sword and Board type player.

Thanks!

tihocan
09-04-2007, 09:25 AM
5 or 6? :eek:
Basically you should aim at weapons that can damage everything in the game, so ideally greater banes for everything, and weapons to bypass any kind of DR that can be bypassed (which is easier now with transmuting weapons).
If you don't want to bother with greater banes, try to get +5 weapons with two extra D6's (like +5 holy/anarchic/axiomatic, or +5 elemental/true law/true chaos of pure good).
Obviously you also need a good ghost touch (best kind is ghost touch of pure good or righteousness).
You need some ooze/rust monster beater too. For rusties I suggest wooden weapons of greater aberration bane.

Then you want some stat damaging weapons. Weakening / wounding are good to carry around. Have a puncturing ready to pull for held/stoned monsters. You should also have some debuffing weapons, mainly cursespewing and destruction.

Make sure you have at least one ranged weapon. Easiest to use would be a returning, but good crossbows are easier to find.

If you're using trip/stunning blow, you want vertigo/weighted weapons.

Among the "insta-kill" weapons, nothing is really required. Most are cool to rush through some stuff on normal, but are not so great on elite (except vorpal is actually better on elite, but is very situational).

Winded
09-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Of course, Alignment may present some limitations, but think greater banes and Burst Weapons. Of course , an understanding of your enemy is a must to be proficient with swapping weapons out.
For example, In A Relic of Soverign , Duergars are immune to paralyzers and I believe acid, they are lawful( not sure of allignment but think Nuetral).

I cant understate the importance of Pure Good/Holy weapons. They most likely will become one of your prime weapons as they offer the widest range of efffect to the widest range of mobs.

Being a true tank , concentrate on weapons that do damage , not control, like paralyzers, cripplers, and such, however, a Wounder is always good , then again , many mobs are immune to crits.

This can be a great thread with lots of input and Id hope others chime in.

The_Cataclysm
09-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Obviously you also need a good ghost touch (best kind is ghost touch of pure good or righteousness).

Good advice overall, but I have to disagree with this. Ghost Touch of greater undead bane (or undead bane) would better than those two since 99% of all incorporeal monsters are undead.

tihocan
09-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Good advice overall, but I have to disagree with this. Ghost Touch of greater undead bane (or undead bane) would better than those two since 99% of all incorporeal monsters are undead.
Oh, yes, that's entirely right. I didn't think about it because they're really rare (or I'm very unlucky at finding them ;) )

sirgog
09-05-2007, 01:45 AM
My main weapon (sword and board) is a holy burst//pure good longsword. Solid DPS (3d6 bonus damage on a hit, 6d6 on a crit against many foes), and all the benefits of a shield to stay alive.

Other than that, there's the situational stuff - a paralyser (one person should use one if you have a melee-heavy party e.g. 4 Ftrs 1 battlecleric 1 bard), a vorpal and disruptor (specific foes only), a ghost touch weapon with solid DPS, pref 2 handed and greater undead bane, but that's the nuts - pure good will do, a transmuting weapon, and greater bane weapons for dragons and/or giants (pref both).

Juni
09-05-2007, 01:10 PM

Personally I like my Ghost Touch of Disruption for killing undead. Only use my sunblade for the skeles in the Tor.

Articus
09-05-2007, 02:38 PM
I like my Holy Seeker Greatsword for dmg as an all-around weapon. If you take skills or items that improve your crit rate. 2-handers like these can dish out alot of dmg on crits...even if you aren't bypassing DR. That doesn't mean I don't carry mob-specific weapons...but I love to swing my glowing GS!

axemurderer
09-05-2007, 04:17 PM

have to say it.... disruption? or a good holy burst of pure good(has to have a nice crit range).... so that even with that 50% chance you still do more damage

Casta
09-05-2007, 05:25 PM
5 or 6? One of my fighters had 3 hotbars full, that might be a little much but with all the greater banes, big 5 and other stuff you pick up because it looks nice you should have at least 10-15.

tihocan
09-06-2007, 09:18 AM
or a good holy burst of pure good(has to have a nice crit range).... so that even with that 50% chance you still do more damage
Most likely you won't do more damage. Holy burst is a very expensive (+4) prefix that is not going to compensate for your half DPS. Only exception may be on a finesse build with low str and precision, that would rely a lot on side damage.

blakbyrd
09-06-2007, 02:23 PM
To the OP. Just my opinion here, but more important that the weapon you use, is knowing what you are fighting. Knowing what it's strengths and weaknesses are, and knowing what you have to deal with it.

It doesnt have to simply be what stack of weapons do I need at all times. It wont matter much if you do not understand the creature you are fighting and how it reacts. Sure a greater elemental bane might be best for those air elementals, but it doesnt help much if you are easily tripped and spend half your time on your back. A holy weapon works great on dogs in stormcleave elite, but they are immune to holy on norm and hard, etc. (these are just quick examples and maybe not entirely true themselves, but you should get the picture).

If you dont know well what you are fighting, then you can hardly ever figure out what is right for you to use. Is True Law or True Chaos more valuable against Elven mobs? Don't know? It's a good thing to find out. A flaming greataxe of greater construct bane looks nice, but some constructs are healed by fire, and thus you would be negating one of the benifits of your weapon. Cleric Hobs may be best beaten with Anarchic, but their flame strikes, searing light and the likes can do more damage per shot to you than you may do to them, thus having a good trip (vertigo bonus) may be better to take them out than having a higher DPS weapon while taking their spells against you, etc.

Just something to think about. Learn your opponents, know what they can do and what where they are most vulnerable and use it against them. This can quite often be more valuable than simple DPS.

I should also add, that once you learn these things, you will then know what weapons work best for you build. Not all builds will work the same. Maybe you lack a bit in the +to-hit department, if so, forgoing an extra form of damage for a higher + weapon may net you more damage. If you have plenty of to-hit then you can forgoe the extra + and look for weapons with more damaging stats.

Lewcipher
09-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Transmuting covers all but the "greater" and ghost touch DR. Paralyzers are great crowd control IMHO can save the caster a lot of mana i.e. Madstone Crater.

I pretty much keep Holy Burst/Holy Dragon bane Transmuting Paralyzing and Disruptors. Have not been lucky enough to pull a vorpal, and I'm cheap. I won't pay a billion gold for anything! (slight exaggeration).

Happy hunting all!