PDA

View Full Version : Using empty quest areas as PVP zones.

M1A1
09-04-2007, 08:17 AM
How hard would this be to make happen? Would any others like to see this happen?

rabrams99
09-04-2007, 08:24 AM
i would be for this

Jundak
09-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Empty quest area? Like the outdoor xp areas...?

I'm pretty sure that's what the arenas are for...unless you're looking to gank some hapless wandering fool through an open area. Kinda smacks of WoW or EQ to me...

Riddikulus
09-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Empty quest area? Like the outdoor xp areas...?

I'm pretty sure that's what the arenas are for...unless you're looking to gank some hapless wandering fool through an open area. Kinda smacks of WoW or EQ to me...

No I think he's talking more about being able to use, say, Stormcleave as a PvP arena.

Something like that would be pretty cool.

AmsterdamHeavy
09-04-2007, 08:34 AM
I think he wants a city or dungeon instance to PvP in, and I gues syou'd get sent there from Jackson Lawes or whatever....

So if you wanted to PvP, you could select "Sunken Sewer" as the venue as an example.

Maybe I misread though.

M1A1
09-04-2007, 08:35 AM
I've never done arena so I dont know how large it is. This is how I envision it: You walk up to Tempest Spine and along with the regular options, you have the option to enter it as a PVP zone but clear of monsters, with the same rules you get in the tavern, just a much larger area to play in.

M1A1
09-04-2007, 08:37 AM
No I think he's talking more about being able to use, say, Stormcleave as a PvP arena.

Something like that would be pretty cool.

I think he wants a city or dungeon instance to PvP in, and I gues syou'd get sent there from Jackson Lawes or whatever....

So if you wanted to PvP, you could select "Sunken Sewer" as the venue as an example.

Maybe I misread though.

Thanks for the support.

Jundak
09-04-2007, 08:46 AM
I've never done arena so I dont know how large it is. This is how I envision it: You walk up to Tempest Spine and along with the regular options, you have the option to enter it as a PVP zone but clear of monsters, with the same rules you get in the tavern, just a much larger area to play in.

*nods*

Okay, I misunderstood. As a person who loves PvP myself (sometimes my entire game night is spent in the Lobster pit), I don't think this would be a bad idea...with one exception.

The rules would apply as if you're in an arena. Which means no auto-regen of hp, sp, stat damage, and clickies...and all spells work.

However...also as a person who believes that Dev time should be spent on other things first, I would highly recommend getting some folks together for arena combat. Just the straight kill-em-all scenario's arena is easily 20 times as large as any PvP pit in a tavern. It might be the answer you're looking for, man.

Only downside to this is getting people to want to go to the arena in the first place...until the PvP leaderboards are put back into place, I just don't see much arena combat happening. :(

Belfalcon
09-04-2007, 09:06 AM
How hard would this be to make happen? Would any others like to see this happen?

i dont realy know how hard it would be but atm with mod5,6 comeing out i dont think PvP is on the top of the list
this is NOT a PvP game and i joined this game becuse of that after play wow for 2 years.
so i realy hope thay dont start makeing this game with more pvp stuff

Palmetto
09-04-2007, 09:11 AM

how come when we get new members thay need to start with the PvP stuff...this is NOT a PvP game. that is way it is the way it is
Not sure about him, but I didn't sign up for the forum for nearly a year after starting the game. You are making an assumption.

Shadow_Flayer
09-04-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm not a fan of PvP, but I wondering if adding a 'Friendly Fire' mode to the 'Group' option (where you convert to raid, have convert to friendly fire) would add a different dimension to things in general.

Friendly fire would simply be the same quest as before, except you can hit people in your party. You would not be able to stand in the same spot as others, or pass through your party. You could beat the **** out of each other on purpose if you wanted to -- though it would not go on the leaderboard (not that there is one right now ;).

It seems to be this type of mode would add a huge challenge to the game ... no more wildly spamming cone of cold or fireball ... no more ranging from behind the party ... two handed fighters being give a lot more space to avoid the splash damage ... lots more communication and strategy involved.

Jundak
09-04-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm not a fan of PvP, but I wondering if adding a 'Friendly Fire' mode to the 'Group' option (where you convert to raid, have convert to friendly fire) would add a different dimension to things in general.

Friendly fire would simply be the same quest as before, except you can hit people in your party. You would not be able to stand in the same spot as others, or pass through your party. You could beat the **** out of each other on purpose if you wanted to -- though it would not go on the leaderboard (not that there is one right now ;).

It seems to be this type of mode would add a huge challenge to the game ... no more wildly spamming cone of cold or fireball ... no more ranging from behind the party ... two handed fighters being give a lot more space to avoid the splash damage ... lots more communication and strategy involved.

/signed

Nothing better than a good 'ol return to tactics. Good idea, man.

M1A1
09-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Lets get back on topic here

#1 I dont care if YOU like PVP. (I do to some extent and I always see people doing it)
#2 It dosent matter WHEN I sarted playing. (I've been playing since June 06)
#3 Start your own thread for discussions on mechanics outside of what Im asking. ('Nuff said)

The thread is if this would be hard and if there would be support for it, that is all.

negative
09-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Honestly, the maps for even most of the smaller missions are just to large for this to be feasible for the size of groups that would be pvp, even if it was raid vs raid size.

M1A1
09-04-2007, 09:38 AM
*nods*

Okay, I misunderstood. As a person who loves PvP myself (sometimes my entire game night is spent in the Lobster pit), I don't think this would be a bad idea...with one exception.

The rules would apply as if you're in an arena. Which means no auto-regen of hp, sp, stat damage, and clickies...and all spells work.

However...also as a person who believes that Dev time should be spent on other things first, I would highly recommend getting some folks together for arena combat. Just the straight kill-em-all scenario's arena is easily 20 times as large as any PvP pit in a tavern. It might be the answer you're looking for, man.

Only downside to this is getting people to want to go to the arena in the first place...until the PvP leaderboards are put back into place, I just don't see much arena combat happening. :(

I will try this, 20 times larger you say?

Jundak
09-04-2007, 09:39 AM
I will try this, 20 times larger you say?

Might be a slight exaggeration, but it's pretty big, man... :D

M1A1
09-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Might be a slight exaggeration, but it's pretty big, man. :D

Anything has got to be better than the lobster. I was in some other PVP pit the other day and it had levels and water and was ALOT better than alot of the pits. Thats what got me to thinking about an area where I could /invisible, sneak, lay symbols, etc and kinda get the Rainbow Six feel but on a whole other level.

M1A1
09-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Honestly, the maps for even most of the smaller missions are just to large for this to be feasible for the size of groups that would be pvp, even if it was raid vs raid size.

You cant justfy this statement

negative
09-04-2007, 09:49 AM
You cant justfy this statement

Sure I can. Have you ever played a First Person Shooter? Did you ever notice how the larger the map, the higher the recommended amount of players? If the map is too big, the PvP won't happen. You'll spend so much time running around you'll never find the enemy.

M1A1
09-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Sure I can. Have you ever played a First Person Shooter? Did you ever notice how the larger the map, the higher the recommended amount of players? If the map is too big, the PvP won't happen. You'll spend so much time running around you'll never find the enemy.

Come on, you can do better than that. Just say you dont like it or you do, but to knock it for THAT....try again.

negative
09-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Come on, you can do better than that. Just say you dont like it or you do, but to knock it for THAT....try again.

I'm sorry, what's your deal? I'm not trying to "knock" your idea or anything like that. I'm just adding legitimate constructive criticism. It's completely valid to point out that most mission maps are far to big for PvP on the scale that the game engine can support.

Ya know, there is an easy rebuttal to this criticism that if you were interested in having a mature conversation about your idea, you would have brought up initially, rather than trying to start a fight. Simply block off parts of the mission in some way (invisible wall, or just permantly lock some doors) and only use parts of the existing maps, to reduce the size of the area until it is an appropriate scale.

Then, when I read you typing that, I might agree and say that your idea has merit, or I might continue to offer constructive criticism so that the idea can be developed and enhanced into a viable addition to the game, that being the whole point of this forum and all.;)

M1A1
09-04-2007, 10:37 AM

So now that your applying your brain to your fingers, thank you, that is the kind of reply I would like.

Mercules
09-04-2007, 10:43 AM
They have this sort of thing, as said, in the Arena part. Then again people are too impatient to get the arena games started. You can't really see who else might be waiting so you have no idea if you are the only person in your level range waiting for a game or if there are people out there. Get a group of people together and all enter an arena game and see what happens. Bet you will like the areas as they are larger than the lobster and the rules are more interesting.

M1A1
09-04-2007, 10:44 AM
They have this sort of thing, as said, in the Arena part. Then again people are too impatient to get the arena games started. You can't really see who else might be waiting so you have no idea if you are the only person in your level range waiting for a game or if there are people out there. Get a group of people together and all enter an arena game and see what happens. Bet you will like the areas as they are larger than the lobster and the rules are more interesting.

Just need to organize it and try.

negative
09-04-2007, 11:13 AM
So now that your applying your brain to your fingers, thank you, that is the kind of reply I would like.

I'm sorry if you don't see my initial post as constructive; however, I still stand by my statement. I don't think I'm trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes, my forum name is "negative". Just because my post may be a little rough around the edges does not make it non-constructive criticism or invalidate my point.

Those arena's are all pretty good. The arenas also vary in size, which is nice, as some arenas are better depending on wether you are playing 6v6 or 3v3. The desert CTF is is pretty large and just about too big for 3v3 but the sewer CTF is nice for 3v3, while being on the small end for 6v6.