PDA

View Full Version : 32 pt Halfling Bard Prototype - Need Feedback

Ganak
09-02-2007, 10:33 AM
32 pt Halfling Bard - Level 14 (Spellsinger)

Stats
STR 12 - Ending at 18 (+6 Str item)
DEX 15 - Ending at 22 (+1 Tome, +6 item)
CON 13 - Ending at 20 (+1 Tome, +6 item)
INT 8 - Ending at 8
WIS 8 - Ending at 8
CHR 18 - Ending at 32 (+2 tome, +3 level up, +3 class, +6 item)

Level Feats
1st: Spell focus: Enchantment
3rd: Extend
6th: Mental Toughness
9th: Greater Spell Focus: Enhancement
12: Spell Penetration

Skills Maxed:
UMD
Perform
Haggle
Concentration
Jump

Spells Known:
1st
Charm Person
CLW
Expedition Retreat
Otto's

2nd
CMW
Blur
Suggestion
Heroism

3rd
CSW
Haste
Charm Monster
Good Hope

4th
Otto's Dancing Ball
CSW
Hold Monster
Freedom of Movement

5th
GH
Mass Suggestion
CLW Mass
Mind Fog

I'm set in stone on halfling for the character concept.

Looking to focus on song playing/buffing, enchantment spells and healing. Melee is secondary and would focus on wounding, cursespewing and paralyzing.

Dex = 22 because looking to wear +5 Mithral Chain or Fearsome Mithral Chain (if I can find it). I've got a +1 Dex, +1 Con and +1 Chr tome to apply right away to the stats too.

My biggest uncertainties are:
Feats? Are SP at a premium to where I need to consider Improved Mental Toughness? Greater Spell Focus: Enchantment or Greater Spell Penetration?

Spells I am missing?

Skills I should consider?

Thanks for all your thoughts!

Quartzite
09-02-2007, 05:42 PM
I haven't played the CC role much, but Hypnotism is often very powerful at low levels as a CC build (get it instead of Otto's single target dance). Also, once you get CSW I'd drop CLW out and get Grease instead. Glitterdust is great in the low-mid levels in places like the Catacombs and Delera's. Spells are relatively cheap to change. As long as you have a rough idea you can play around with it.

With your build I'd get Heighten. You have a lot of low-mid range CC spells that will be useless at 14 without Heighten. Being able to raise your DC to your caster level is a massive plus.

It is hard fitting all the feats in, but I'd probably drop Greater Spell Focus until level 15. Your DCs on spells will already be pretty good, and Heighten, imo, gives more of a net benefit (depending on what you plan on casting at high levels).

Of course, I've never been much of a CCer, so what I say is based on build theory and knowledge of other people's builds, rather than experience playing it. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

geezee
09-02-2007, 05:56 PM
If youre planning to do any meleeing at all, youll need finesse or some strength. You can forget melee with this build the way it is. You won't hit the broad side of a barn.

Also, heighten is a very marginal feat for bards. Some people like it, some don't. At high levels, you probably wont really need it. Bard's have issues with mana as it is, compared to the other casting classes.

With the upcoming change to Extend, you may consider IMT instead.

I have to wonder why halfling instead of human or drow with this type of build. Very similar to my first of about 20 bards.

EinarMal
09-02-2007, 08:02 PM
I think your to-hit won't be as bad as you think.

BAB 10
Weapon 5
Strength 5 (Can hit 20 with rage spell)
Song 8
Haste 1
Focusing Chant 1

That is +30 to hit if you really tried on the first swing. Bard's do not have to worry that much about hitting things when buffed. You aren't going to be top notch DPS by any means but you can hit things.

I like your feats for a CC Bard exactly like you have them.

Freeman
09-02-2007, 08:54 PM
My bard runs around with a 14 Str, including items. Fully buffed, I can have the following bonus:

+10 BAB
+2 Str
+6 IC
+2 IG
+1 Haste
+1 Circumstance
+5 weapon enhancement
--
+27/+27/+32/+37

Even on elite, most mobs aren't hard to hit, particularly when you are flanking them, adding another +2 to my attack bonus. And since most bards aren't the primary tank, that is usually the case. Rage would add another +1, but I've never really felt the need for it. Usually if the boss is that hard to hit, I'm better off pulling out a wand or scroll, since those can't miss. For tougher opponents and bosses, I'll usually start off with a Destruction weapon, lowering their AC by 4. Even if I'm not swinging at it, it will help the others hit.

On my new bard that I'm working on now(Up to level 5), I started with a 16 Str, and I'll likely end up with a 22(+6 item). That will give me another +4 to hit when he grows up.

Freeman
09-02-2007, 09:02 PM
If youre planning to do any meleeing at all, youll need finesse or some strength. You can forget melee with this build the way it is. You won't hit the broad side of a barn.

Also, heighten is a very marginal feat for bards. Some people like it, some don't. At high levels, you probably wont really need it. Bard's have issues with mana as it is, compared to the other casting classes.

With the upcoming change to Extend, you may consider IMT instead.

I have to wonder why halfling instead of human or drow with this type of build. Very similar to my first of about 20 bards.

I already discussed the attack bonus, but I forgot that a Halfling would have another +1 as well, just for being short. He won't have any problem with melee combat.

As for Heighten, I wouldn't call it marginal. While you can live without it on Normal difficulty, it makes a huge difference if you are planning on running elite content. I didn't have it at first on my bard, but I decided to try switching IMT out for it. I found that I used fewer spell points in the long run, because a lot more of my spells were landing the first time. Even with Heighten on 100% of the time, I still rarely run out of spellpoints. I would recommend Heighten for any CC-focused bard. I wouldn't recommend taking it until level 9 though, but at that point, I think it is necessary to keep your first and second level spells effective. A Heightened Hypnotism or Otto's Dance are some of the best spells a bard has.

Freeman
09-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Third reply in a row, but I keep getting interrupted. As for Extend, it will still be useful, particularly for spells like Haste and Displacement Extended Dance Spheres are great too, particularly in the Reaver raid.

Baervan
09-03-2007, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't take Extend so early because most of the low level bard spells are largely situational. Take Mental Toughness at 3rd and Extend at 6th.

You might want to play around with your ability numbers too. I always find that having an Int score at an uneven number is handy for a bard because should you ever come across a tome you'll be able to capitalize on getting those extra skill points.