PDA

View Full Version : Mr Personality (A build by request)

sigtrent
08-31-2007, 01:44 PM
From Sigtrent's Build Request Thread (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=117232)

Build Name: Mr. Personality
Author: Sigfried Trent
Requester: Kolvarg
Last Updated: 07/12/10

Key Words [Sorcerer, Divine Vitality, UMD]

Objectives
The request was for a sorcerer that splashed cleric for Divine Vitality and access to self healing. I’m not sold that this is especially useful, but its interesting. For the re-design I am also adding in a bard splash for UMD and making this a very charisma focused build all around.

Design
I’m starting with bard to get UMD established, then cleric for the DVs and then running the rest sorcerer. It takes a while for the build to establish itself so this may be best made with veteran status so you can start at level 4.

I decided this best works as a pure support character. It has pretty much no fighting ability at all, and doesn’t do much spell damage until low-mid levels. It can heal, replenish spell points, and is quite good at control casting, and eventually decent with damage casting. The loss of spell pen due to multi classing is off set somewhat by taking every spell penetration option available. Damage casting gets what is left over.

I went with a bit of subtle spell casting as its fairly effective when using CC spells and may help wtih damage spells. Wand/Scroll mastery is there to support the UMD and wand healing abilities.

One nice thing about the multi classing is the build does end up with a lions share of spell points early on. Cleric and Bard can provide a few low level utility spells which gives you a tad more range on your sorcerer spell selections.

On the down side, this build is a wall flower and very squish-able. You want to stay well out of danger and be ready to drop a defensive spell when needed. This to some extent helps encourage the kind of play the build is made for, stragegic defensive support.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.5.1
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 True Neutral Drow Male
(1 Cleric \ 18 Sorcerer \ 1 Bard)
Hit Points: 146
Spell Points: 2035
BAB: 9\9\14
Fortitude: 10
Reflex: 8
Will: 16

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 8 8
Dexterity 10 10
Constitution 12 14
Intelligence 12 14
Wisdom 12 12
Charisma 20 30

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 4 4
Bluff 5 11
Concentration 5 25
Diplomacy 9 14
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 9 21
Heal 1 1
Hide 0 0
Intimidate 5 10
Jump 3 3
Listen 1 3
Move Silently 0 0
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform 9 14
Repair 1 2
Search 1 4
Spot 1 3
Swim -1 -1
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device 9 33

Level 1 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell
Spell (1): Cure Light Wounds
Enhancement: Bard Song Magic I

Level 2 (Cleric)
Spell (1): Bane
Spell (1): Bless
Spell (1): Cause Fear
Spell (1): Command
Spell (1): Divine Favor
Spell (1): Doom
Spell (1): Inflict Light Wounds
Spell (1): Nightshield
Spell (1): Nimbus of Light
Spell (1): Obscuring Mist
Spell (1): Protection From Evil
Spell (1): Remove Fear
Spell (1): Shield of Faith
Spell (1): Summon Monster I
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality I
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning I

Level 3 (Sorcerer)

Level 4 (Sorcerer)
Spell (1): Hypnotism
Enhancement: Sorcerer Energy Manipulation I
Enhancement: Sorcerer Elemental Manipulation I
Enhancement: Sorcerer Energy of the Dragonblooded I
Enhancement: Sorcerer Charisma I

Level 5 (Sorcerer)
Spell (1): Soundburst
Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Energy I
Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Elements I
Enhancement: Sorcerer Wand Heightening I

Level 6 (Sorcerer)
Feat: (Selected) Heighten Spell
Spell (2): Web
Enhancement: Sorcerer Energy Manipulation II
Enhancement: Sorcerer Elemental Manipulation II
Enhancement: Sorcerer Subtle Spellcasting I

Level 7 (Sorcerer)
Spell (2): Blur
Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Deadly Energy I
Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Deadly Elements I
Enhancement: Sorcerer Spell Penetration I
Enhancement: Sorcerer Energy of the Dragonblooded II

Level 8 (Sorcerer)
Spell (3): Haste
Enhancement: Sorcerer Improved Heightening I
Enhancement: Sorcerer Charisma II

Level 9 (Sorcerer)
Feat: (Selected) Spell Penetration
Spell (2): Resist Energy
Spell (3): Displacement
Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Elements II
Enhancement: Sorcerer Subtle Spellcasting II
Enhancement: Sorcerer Wand Heightening II

Level 10 (Sorcerer)
Spell (4): Phantasmal Killer
Enhancement: Sorcerer Elemental Manipulation III

Level 11 (Sorcerer)
Spell (2): Glitterdust
Spell (3): Halt Undead
Spell (4): Wall of Fire
Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Deadly Elements II

Level 12 (Sorcerer)
Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell
Spell (5): Hold Monster
Enhancement: Sorcerer Charisma III

Level 13 (Sorcerer)
Spell (3): Frost Lance
Spell (4): Enervation
Spell (5): Teleport
Enhancement: Sorcerer Spell Penetration II

Level 14 (Sorcerer)
Spell (6): Flesh to Stone
Enhancement: Sorcerer Wand Heightening III

Level 15 (Sorcerer)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Penetration
Spell (4): Dimension Door
Spell (5): Break Enchantment
Spell (6): Chain Lightning
Enhancement: Sorcerer Spell Penetration III

Level 16 (Sorcerer)
Spell (7): Finger of Death
Enhancement: Sorcerer Elemental Manipulation IV

Level 17 (Sorcerer)
Spell (5): Symbol of Pain
Spell (6): Greater Heroism
Spell (7): Otto's Sphere of Dancing
Enhancement: Sorcerer Energy Manipulation III

Level 18 (Sorcerer)
Feat: (Selected) Enlarge Spell
Spell (8): Polar Ray
Enhancement: Sorcerer Energy Manipulation IV

Level 19 (Sorcerer)
Spell (7): Waves of Exhaustion
Spell (8): Otto's Irresistable Dance
Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Energy II
Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Elements III

Level 20 (Sorcerer)
Spell (9): Wail of the Banshee
Enhancement: Bard Haggle I
Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Deadly Elements III

Play
Stay out of trouble. This is a team build that supports other characters that do the killing. At mid and upper levels you do have damage spells but they are more for support against bosses than for sweeping rooms. Beware the agro you can get from area control spells. If you cas’t a spell you really want to make sure it sticks. At upper levels you should be quite effective at “point and kill” but it will take a while to develop. This is not a good build if you want to play solo.

Variations
Dropping Cleric and Bard would be the first suggestions, but then you just have a classic sorcerer which there are probably better builds of out there.

Varis
08-31-2007, 02:26 PM
I dunno what to say heh... a pure sorcerer will have high enough UMD so he can use any wand that a cleric/sorc can and for scrolls the cleric/sorc will still need a UMD roll (heal, rez, etc)

You get a bit better will save... a bit more mana... you can cast cure light wounds in between wand timers... er... 4 more hit points... great loot table? =)

I dunno... a cleric/sorc is hard to justify without the mystic theurge prestiege class.

sigtrent
08-31-2007, 02:47 PM
I think there are two advantages of some significance for building this way.

#1: You get 14 DVs which isn't the most amazing thing ever but its something you don't get with pure sorcerer

#2: You get the use of the clerical wands much earlier in the characters life span and can use the higher end ones.

I think the requester was mostly curious to see what such a build would look like, a lot of the requests are like that. What stuck me most about this build was the nubmer of spell points.. pretty massive, but I suppose a Sorc splashing bard would have even more.

I'm not sure it's loosing out on all that much not having sorcerer 14. Clearly FOD is no fun to loose but aside from that it isn't a big difference in casting power.

I don't think the loot table is effected, it uses your dominant class for end rewards.

I'm curious what sorcerers think of the spell selection, I've never actualy built out a full sorcerer before, nor played one other than my WF who is not a typical socrerer at all.

Kolvarg
08-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Sigtrent,

Thanks for doing this. I appreciate your hard work and the thought you put into it. I have a few questions about your choices to help me better understand the build ideas. Note: I have only been playing for like 4 months and some of this is still new to me, especially casters.

So,

Why 10 for STR?
Why not max CHA?
Why human not Drow? (Drow = Higher CHA Correct?)
How high does UMD need to be for Raise Dead Scrolls? That is only avalable on scrolls not wands correct?

These are not meant as citisisms, just learning.

Love the CC and Electricity ideas. I was planning on mainly CC anway so perfect fit.

Keep up the great work!

wiglin
08-31-2007, 03:12 PM
Raise Dead Scrolls = 36 UMD

This build would have some advantages in a perma-death setting, but when looking down the line, umd on a sorc will get you use of any wand if built right. I know human sorcerers that have a umd of 36. At that point their really isn't a reason to mult-class for anything.

The dv's are a plus, but is one major mnemonic potion of spell points worth losing your highest level spells until the level cap is 20?

I know this is a build by request, so just something to think about for whoever made the request.

I am by no means an advocate of pure sorcerer only, but always be aware of what you are giving up, and make sure it is worth it.

sigtrent
09-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Why 10 for STR?
Why not max CHA?
Why human not Drow? (Drow = Higher CHA Correct?)
How high does UMD need to be for Raise Dead Scrolls? That is only avalable on scrolls not wands correct?

10 Str because I hate having 8? I've had some 8str characters and I just can't stand not being able to cary much treasure. That and if you want to do any soloing at low level (which I often do) it helps to have a bit of Str. You could easily go with 8 and do fine.

Why not max Cha? Its close to max.. I just though the 3 points were better spent elsewhere and it didn't have a big impact on your final charisma score unless you score a +2 tome somewhere and even then it will sort itself out at level 15. Having the cleric level in there meant I needed a bit of wisdom, something I'd just dump if making a pure sorcerer. You could rely on item bonuses but then you would have to wait till mid levels to use any healing spells. So it seemed a small sacrifice to take one point out of charisma when all was said and done, but its somethign you could adjust without any great hardship to the build.

Why not drow? I cared more about con than dex and I wanted a decent number of skill points, so outside of charisma human was a better buy. On the charisma side you get the human charisma bonus which makes up 1pt of the drows advantage. Finaly the extra feat and the human boost to your skills and self healing seemed a nice deal. You could certainly make this a drow but I don't think there would be much advantage to it.

Raise dead is scrolls only. (wands only go up to 3rd level spells although some of the wand spells are higher level for some classes) Anyhow as noted 36 lets you always succede on raise dead. Still, 26 is 50% which is plenty decent if its something you do as an emergency. A human socerer with 36 UMD would have to be doing something pretty impressive to get that high... This character's UMD is about like this...

8pts for ranks, 10 from charisma, 4 from greater heroism for 22 without UMD items.

You can boost for 2, and wear a command time for 2 more. There is a +3 UMD item from the fixed Delera's tomb Loot. That gives you 29.

You can also get luck items, and I think those go up to +2 which scoots you to 31, but I'm not sure where the +2 luck item is found at.

It's not stellar UMD but it can get you buy in a pinch.

Jakylpops
09-06-2007, 09:10 AM
yeah the 14 baby DV's are cute, but everytime i see one of these I can't help but think they were built by somebody who doesn't know anything about bard abilities and spells.

1 level of bard gives you 2 songs per rest (fascinate or inspire courage), gives you full access to UMD (full skill point per level) skill, ZERO failure all the way up to cure CRITITICAL wands, Cure Light wounds spell if you want it, AND it gives you more SP since it's powered by your already jacked up CHA score...not Wisdom.

Grenfell
09-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Raise dead is scrolls only. (wands only go up to 3rd level spells although some of the wand spells are higher level for some classes) Anyhow as noted 36 lets you always succede on raise dead. Still, 26 is 50% which is plenty decent if its something you do as an emergency. A human socerer with 36 UMD would have to be doing something pretty impressive to get that high... This character's UMD is about like this...

Does anyone have a UMD/Cleric character to verify that you will use your UMD instead of caster level check for Raise Dead scrolls?

Because if it's caster level check, you're looking at some significant failure rates.

/gren

Aspenor
09-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Does anyone have a UMD/Cleric character to verify that you will use your UMD instead of caster level check for Raise Dead scrolls?

Because if it's caster level check, you're looking at some significant failure rates.

/gren

I can verify that whichever has the highest percentage chance of success at the given time is the roll that will be performed.

WolfSpirit
09-06-2007, 12:29 PM
yeah the 14 baby DV's are cute, but everytime i see one of these I can't help but think they were built by somebody who doesn't know anything about bard abilities and spells.

1 level of bard gives you 2 songs per rest (fascinate or inspire courage), gives you full access to UMD (full skill point per level) skill, ZERO failure all the way up to cure CRITICAL wands, Cure Light wounds spell if you want it, AND it gives you more SP since it's powered by your already jacked up CHA score...not Wisdom.

I'm big on this one. I thought this character build out throughly and settled on Supernovva, my 1 Bard, 8 Sorcerer (currently) I've very much enjoyed this build, and have Great UMD already. I use Raise Scrolls in emergency's (Though still high failure rate) Backup heal with all sorts of wands, and actually wear +5 mith chain with only 5% fail. (this will change once next enhancement opens for me or I go robes)
And the facinate is emergency useful and has already saved mine and my groups arses SEVERAL times. (get 2 with the enhancement)
And did I mention full UMD? Wait till I start using Heal Scrolls and all sorts of other items.
What? that uber gear is RR Warforged?
Pffft!

WELL worth giving up (for now) that spell level.