PDA

View Full Version : Intimidate or Taunt???

Mookie_Mashfoot
08-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Ok, something has been bugging me for a long time...the Intimidate skill shouldn't really be called 'Intimidate'.

I mean when you intimidate someone, in most cases they'd probably go running away like a dog with their tail between their legs instead of running straight for you trying to kill you.

But when you do want someone to come after you, I'd think you'd taunt them more than anything else. So, wouldn't 'Taunt' be more appropriate than 'Intimidate'???

MtnLion
08-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Ok, something has been bugging me for a long time...the Intimidate skill shouldn't really be called 'Intimidate'.

I mean when you intimidate someone, in most cases they'd probably go running away like a dog with their tail between their legs instead of running straight for you trying to kill you.

But when you do want someone to come after you, I'd think you'd taunt them more than anything else. So, wouldn't 'Taunt' be more appropriate than 'Intimidate'???

It seems that your statements are quite correct. However, if you are attacking a group; it is wisest to attack the biggest threat, or the most intimidating individual in the group, first. Right?

teddok
08-31-2007, 12:05 PM
I pointed this out months ago but was told dont worry about it.
Honestly though you are completey correct.

Mookie_Mashfoot
08-31-2007, 12:07 PM
I pointed this out months ago but was told dont worry about it.
Honestly though you are completey correct.

Sorry, didn't see your thread when I did a search. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's thought this! :)

Emili
08-31-2007, 12:12 PM

Well, is funny but in PnP the skill does exactly what you said... makes things run away in a fight (provided they understand you) or in the case of roleplay helps get an npc to do as you want.

Mercules
08-31-2007, 12:20 PM
They attempted to use the existing skills in many cases. Most MMOs have a "taunt" in the game to gain agro. Therefore they shoved Intimidate into that role.

MathGeek
08-31-2007, 05:03 PM
It seems that your statements are quite correct. However, if you are attacking a group; it is wisest to attack the biggest threat, or the most intimidating individual in the group, first. Right?

I totally agree: I know I go after the scariest monster first.

Intimidate currently scares off archers and casters. When they aggro on you, then run away to hit you from range.

So it's mainly their melee types who respond my charging you.

I could have sworn that there is a skill-based taunt mechanic in one of the supplements; I'll have to check when I get home. I know that there are spells for it though.

QuantumFX
08-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Yes the mechanics of intimidate are incredibly stupid but, unfortunately, are required. What's even more pathetic is that paladins have to cross class in order to get a taunt ability. I'd rather have a 1 AP enhancement called "I taunt you again for a second time" or "Talk like a sailor" that allows me to use this little class skill called diplomacy to taunt a single foe.

Gennerik
08-31-2007, 05:32 PM
Yes the mechanics of intimidate are incredibly stupid but, unfortunately, are required. What's even more pathetic is that paladins have to cross class in order to get a taunt ability. I'd rather have a 1 AP enhancement called "I taunt you again for a second time" or "Talk like a sailor" that allows me to use this little class skill called diplomacy to taunt a single foe.

Regardless of why it's Intimidate, Turbine really ought to change the Paladin skill list to include Intimidate as a Class Skill. That would be one minor change that would really make sense, even if it's not supported by the DnD rules.

Mercules
08-31-2007, 07:58 PM
Regardless of why it's Intimidate, Turbine really ought to change the Paladin skill list to include Intimidate as a Class Skill. That would be one minor change that would really make sense, even if it's not supported by the DnD rules.

They did give them a boost that increases hate from their attacks for a period of time. Why they didn't make it like the WF Hate mechanic of "turn it on and it is on till you turn it off", I will never know.

Korban_Dallas
09-01-2007, 11:25 AM

If only that were true, the way the AI (<-- LOL AI!!) works now is the mobs go straight for the Caster and/or the Cleric, cause I am sure there are tons of casters running around with 40+ Intimidate... But I can agree Wiz/Soc being most of the time, the biggest threat with FoD & PK and what not, I have an Intimidate tank and all I do with him is pull the mobs off the casters.