PDA

View Full Version : Bladesworn Battle Cleric

Kalanth
08-31-2007, 09:29 AM
I am not quite accustomed to building melee based characters, so some of this was flailing about while I built the character. The idea is a relatively capable melee character that can utilize the Bladesworn Enhancement while maintaining respectable healing abilities in the character. Having built a Warforged cleric before and played him to 14, I had an idea on how to make the cleric itself effective. I added the Paladin levels for the saving throws and the fighter was for the bonus feat of Weapon Focus.

With the Enhancement and the Feat, Power attack is effectively a -3 on your rolls vs. -5, and with a +5 weapon can be in effect a +2 overall. A penalty, sure, but you still do more damage. No need for shields here, so my standard use of Tower Shield Proficiency with a cleric also goes to the wayside since the Lord of the Blades enhancement is greatsword focused.

The +2 tome assumes that you got 1750, and the +1 assumes that you are willing to spend money on the character. With +6 items for Str, Wis, and Cha you can reach 24, 26, and 20 respectively. Place a +3 tome from reaver raid into Wisdom instead of the +2 and you can reach 28 with a +5 item. And no, I don't reasonably expect you to have a reaver raid +3 tome drop. Just happened to happen for my cleric once.

In effect, I would not say this character is a main liner, but should be able to add some decent supplimental damage to the battle and can still cast heal and raise the dead.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 2.70
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 14 Lawful Good Warforged Male
(1 Fighter \ 2 Paladin \ 11 Cleric)
Hit Points: 166
Spell Points: 720
BAB: 11\11\16\21
Fortitude: 17
Reflex: 7
Will: 15

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 14)
Strength 16 18
Dexterity 12 12
Constitution 12 14
Intelligence 8 8
Wisdom 14 20
Charisma 12 14

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 14
+1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 14

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 14)
Balance 1 -4
Bluff 1 2
Concentration 1 15
Diplomacy 1 2
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 1 2
Heal 6 6
Hide 1 -4
Intimidate 1 2
Jump 3 0
Listen 2 5
Move Silently 1 -4
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 -1
Search -1 -1
Spot 2 5
Swim 3 -6
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Adamantine Body

Level 2 (Paladin)

Level 3 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell

Level 4 (Cleric)

Level 5 (Cleric)

Level 6 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 7 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons

Level 8 (Cleric)

Level 9 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Cleave

Level 10 (Cleric)

Level 11 (Cleric)

Level 12 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 13 (Cleric)

Level 14 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Bladesworn Transformation
Enhancement: Follower of the Lord of Blades
Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy I
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil I
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic II
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic III
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot I
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot II
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot III
Enhancement: Cleric Charisma I
Enhancement: Cleric Charisma II
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom II
Enhancement: Cleric Wand Mastery I
Enhancement: Cleric Wand Mastery II
Enhancement: Cleric Wand Mastery III
Enhancement: Warforged Constitution I
Enhancement: Warforged Constitution II
Enhancement: Warforged Healer's Friend I
Enhancement: Warforged Healer's Friend II
Enhancement: Warforged Healer's Friend III

Impaqt
08-31-2007, 09:35 AM
Your gonna want to put those SKill Points in Concentration instead of Heal.

Other than that, looks like fun.

Zenako
08-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Got to agree with Impact, if you are only gonna be able to bump one skill, go for the Concentration. Nothing sucks more than taking some piddling damage and getting interrupted. If you have 2/pts level, then Conc and Heal would not be bad, but the Heal will really only be for your fleshy associates.

With all your battle type feats, you will be in circumstances where you will be taking incoming damage while trying to cast some spells.

Mad_Bombardier
08-31-2007, 10:22 AM
IIRC, Bladesworn Transformation is currently 1 minute out of 20. Which means in most quests, you cannot even use it at the beginning of the dungeon and again for the boss fight. :(

Kalanth
08-31-2007, 10:37 AM
Yeah, the refresh sucks. But like most good skills, knowing when to use the skill is half the battle.

I wasn't even paying attention to the skill points when I was whipping him up, honestly. Just absently clicking and moving on. I will change that over to concentration immediately.

Mad_Bombardier
08-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Another quick question: Why bother with 1 level of Fighter? WF:Slash is just not worth it IMO. Remember you have Divine Focus for to-hit boost and DP to get 14 BAB for more to-hit.

Use that level for 3 Paly (Fear Immunity) or 12 Cleric (more spells and 1 level closer to 13Cleric when the level cap goes up).

Kalanth
08-31-2007, 02:33 PM
Another quick question: Why bother with 1 level of Fighter? WF:Slash is just not worth it IMO. Remember you have Divine Focus for to-hit boost and DP to get 14 BAB for more to-hit.

Use that level for 3 Paly (Fear Immunity) or 12 Cleric (more spells and 1 level closer to 13Cleric when the level cap goes up).

It's a good question. I would say its because all the big kids are doing it. :) No, seriously it was to get the bonus feet and keep the BAB progression. The fear immunity was tempting, but considering that my WF cleric with roughly the same will save (when you factor in items) next to never fails against it I decided on fighter. I would have loved to splice in Barbarian, but that is a no go because of the alignment issues. WF: Slash to me is a good thing, but that is because I love and adore WF and WS feets. Don't ask me why, I am just nutty. In addition, having the Fighter Critical enhancement tossed in there is something else that just made me more comfortable. If I was / do replace it, I will change it out to Paladin, however.

amysrevenge
08-31-2007, 02:44 PM
I built mine as a barbarian1, just because at the time the Follower of the Lord of Blades enhancement didn't have that "grant proficiency with greatsword" ability - I needed to get MWP and I'd rather splash a level than waste a feat. In hindsight I wish I'd wasted the feat, because I could retrain the feat, but I can't retrain the Bbn level. :(