PDA

View Full Version : Advice for new players

KoboldKiller
08-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Ok, I know there have been other threads of this kind however they become obscure and hard to find. This is something that should be kept fresh so new players can easily find it.

1) Do not send random blind invites this is rude and will not be received well.
2) Do not be afraid to ask questions.
3) Do use the forums often as there is good information.
4) Do not take the jabbing and rhetoric in the forums to seriously.

All long term players and new players that have additions please do so. Just trying to do my part to help new players get acclimated to the game.

WolfSpirit
08-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Enjoy this game!

And to reiterate,
ASK QUESTIONS!
There are many people who know this game back and forth, take advantage.
Also, make your characters carefully!
There are many "Builds" available here on the forum to help you make a character that will stand the test of time and help you achieve that fame and fortune you so desire!

Good Luck!!!

Lewcipher
08-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Also, in the harbor...you cannot make the jump going to the leaky dinghy off the cliff without featherfall :P

MasterofDungeons
08-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Also, in the harbor...you cannot make the jump going to the leaky dinghy off the cliff without featherfall :P

Bah! You just have to land on another player if you do... SQUISH!

ArkoHighStar
08-30-2007, 04:04 PM

If you do it right you can land in the water:D

frederjoe1
08-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Bah! You just have to land on another player if you do... SQUISH!

You may not be able to make it to the walkway leading to the Leaky Dinghy, but you can create a good splash....

Arnya
08-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Don't jump, just fall off the 'pergola' and fall backwards and slip between the cliff and the next 'pergola' at the middle of the ramp - you slide down and take very minimal damage!!!

Rentz
08-30-2007, 04:21 PM

if you have a decent tumble score you can jump off this and take no damage (without feather fall). just an fyi. :)

KoboldKiller
08-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Alright, alright I appreciate the help. Is there something other than the "how to jump off a ledge to the leaky dinghy" we can come up with? :D

Kindoki
08-30-2007, 04:59 PM
I gotta be honest, learning to swim and learning to jump of the cliff to the leaky dinghy were pretty much all that was on my plate the first week of the game! :D

But you are correct, there are some good guidelines for people new to the game to know.

I add;

5. Don't be afraid to group with people, and don't be afraid to leave group after a quest if they don't play the way you want to play. There are lots of people out there - someone out there runs a quest the same way you want to.

6. Lots of playing happens in a guild, take the time to find people who's playstyles you like and then don't be afraid to join their guild if offered. Don't be afraid to ask to join either.

7. Learn how to be a self sufficient, team player. It's not as oxymoronish as it sounds. Don't rely on others for what you need, but always offer a helping hand to others. i.e. carry heal potions and resist potions as a fighter, give wands you find as treasure to the casters in the group, etc.

8. if you think it could be useful to use an expendable item, do so - there will be more.

9. Most importantly, don't be afraid to be new. Most people will take the time to walk you through stuff. Those that don't - see rule 5.

That is all for the moment.

KoboldKiller
08-31-2007, 01:19 PM
Here's another.
try to avoid the "I'm leaving" posts. 95% of the time they are mindless ramblings that offer nothing constructive.

Dariuss
08-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Communicate.

Tell people you are new - don't be shy:)
(if you want, you can just say you haven't done that particular quest before)

If you don't communicate, theres a good chance of joining a 'zerging' group of alts, which won't be as fun.

Also, tellign the group you are new will likely lead to people being more helpful.

Oh, and go to the forum of whatever server you play on and introduce yourself. You'll probably get some offers to group up or guild up from that.

Borrigain
08-31-2007, 01:39 PM
I got one: chat.

"enter" key is general chat: everyone in your general vicinity will hear you.
As in: "Does anyone want to help me try to get muck?"

use / to open up other dialogue options.

/p is party chat (green text): only the party you are in will hear you.
As in: /p Where are you guys?.....ok, on my way
party sees: "Where are you guys?.....ok, on my way"

/g is guild chat (blue text): only guilded members will hear you.
As in: /g Anyone need this uber item I just pulled but can't use?
guild sees: "Anyone need this uber item I just pulled but can't use?"

/tell is personal chat (yellow text): only person directed to will hear you.
As in: /tell Nuggett you look funny you shrinkazoid halfling.
He sees" Borrigain tells you "you look funny you shrinkazoid halfling."

/r is reply to personal chat:
As in: /r toss yourself you smelly dwarf
I see: Nuggett tells you "toss yourself you smelly dwarf"

/rt is re-tell: you can send personal chat again to same person before they respond. (Note: once they have responded, you can then also use /r to reply to them)

/ignore is just that, ingore tells from person whose name you place next.
As in: /ignore Nuggett

and of course....life just isn't as fun with /emote: direct your character to do something that is not an establish emote (you won't actually "do" this, but it will say it in general chat)
As in: /emote pats Nuggett on the head
World sees: "Borrigain pats Nuggett on the head"

Hmmm....there may be more, but those are the ones I use the most.

Happy Hunting,
Borr.

Alvian_Naivla
08-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Don't be afraid to ask directions to <insert quest here>. Most people will be more than happy to tell you and/or lead you directly to the quest door. If they're not...you probably don't want to group with them anyway.

If you are the new type that either doesn't like asking questions, or too nervous, the ? on your main bar in game (usually top of screen) has tons of wonderful information. You can find out what your stats do, and even look up quest titles, and quest givers for locations.

It's been said before, but if you're in a group in which you feel is going too fast, and your groups members aren't explaining what's happening, don't be afraid to recall out, and leave the group; it's your game, you play it the way you will enjoy it.

Don't listen to those who will tell you, "no one does <insert quest here,> you should just do <water works, stk, tangleroot, Gianthold> until <insert level.>
There are tons of new players, and vets either working on favor, or will jump at the chance to revisit old quests to help a new player out.

Make your own groups! Don't be afraid to put things like "New, group choice on quest," "Never done this before, would like leader," "Want to do conquest," "I don't like zerging." You will get helpful people who will jump at the chance to group with you.

Dariuss
08-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Oh Oh

Use your map!

If you click the little button in the corner it gets bigger

Mouseover the icons ot see what they are

Golden Cups are either quest givers or quest locations

Sokar6000
08-31-2007, 05:03 PM
This game uses the d20 system. If you don't know what that is, DON'T PLAY!

simon159
08-31-2007, 06:59 PM
i have no idea wot the d20 system is and i have had no trouble playing what so ever, in fact i have 6 lvl 14's all capped and 2 lvl 10's and this comment will only put people off.