PDA

View Full Version : Question for Overclocking Experts

Grenfell
08-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Recently, my gaming rig started to flip out -- turned out that I had cooked my video card (a evga 7800 GT) and am taking steps to deal with that particular problem -- namely, replacing it with a 7950 GT.

Nonetheless, while I'm at it, I want to upgrade my RAM as well. This is an older machine, running an AMD 3500+, overclocked to about 2.8Ghz (from its 2.2 base). I have some Corsair ValueSelect's in there -- 1GB total, which is low for DDO and newer games.

I'm thinking of upgrading to 2GB at least, especially since DDR memory is cheaper these days. The question is this:

I've tweaked with the timings on my memory to get it to run at 1T. I'm at work so I can't see for sure, but I believe I'm running 2-3-3-6 at 1T. I know I've had to tweak the voltage and such a bit to get it stable. But I'm not OC master; just a newbie in that world.

So... if I now try to replace this 1GB of RAM with 2GB of dual-channel... do I need to reset the BIOS or do any other funky thing, or can I just put the timings back to stock/automatic and go from there?

Many thanks,

/gren

PS: I have a DFI LanParty NF4-SLI if that matters at all.

thatguy
08-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Recently, my gaming rig started to flip out -- turned out that I had cooked my video card (a evga 7800 GT) and am taking steps to deal with that particular problem -- namely, replacing it with a 7950 GT.

Nonetheless, while I'm at it, I want to upgrade my RAM as well. This is an older machine, running an AMD 3500+, overclocked to about 2.8Ghz (from its 2.2 base). I have some Corsair ValueSelect's in there -- 1GB total, which is low for DDO and newer games.

I'm thinking of upgrading to 2GB at least, especially since DDR memory is cheaper these days. The question is this:

I've tweaked with the timings on my memory to get it to run at 1T. I'm at work so I can't see for sure, but I believe I'm running 2-3-3-6 at 1T. I know I've had to tweak the voltage and such a bit to get it stable. But I'm not OC master; just a newbie in that world.

So... if I now try to replace this 1GB of RAM with 2GB of dual-channel... do I need to reset the BIOS or do any other funky thing, or can I just put the timings back to stock/automatic and go from there?

Many thanks,

/gren

PS: I have a DFI LanParty NF4-SLI if that matters at all.

Actually dude you should be asking this question at www.overclockers.com