PDA

View Full Version : Petition for First Person View - I'm Wiling to send money to turbine to do this!

Drith
08-29-2007, 10:07 AM
*** Preface ***
I just want to say that I think a first person camera view would make the game sooooo much more enjoyable that I'd be willing to send money to turbine just to add it in. No seriously... I'm considering setting up a donation site for this sole purpose. lol.....

Please help me put pressure on the game developers to delevope a first person view mode for Dungeons and Dragons Online.

The graphics in MOD 5 (and DDO as a whole) are absolutely incredible.

I was in the orchard just last night doing battle with various mobs and all I wanted to do was change the camera angle and take screen shots all night long.

Ever since the game has come out, I've found myself trying to position myself between walls and objects just to be able to get a closer and better view of certain in game objects, mobs or characters.

Last night while doing battle with one of the new Golems I was amazed at the detail however I was only able to really see all the detail and appreciate it when I positioned the camera at angles were it made it impossible to play the game. :(

The problem is when you use the 3rd person camera view (top down or behind the shoulder), we are running around adventuring and vewing the world from a NON-realistic camera angle. All the images on our screen are too small to fully appreciate! Not only that but a first person view brings so much more adventure, thrill and realism to the game.

I want to have the option that allows me NOT to be able to "see" what is behind me. "Hear" them yes absolutely! "See" them absolutely not.

All that is required is when you use the "ZOOM" in option to change the camera to the "over the shoulder" from the "top down" view... just keep going and place the camera a tiny bit further ahead so that the camera view is from the players eyes instead of a point behind the player's head.

I want to be fighting an ogre in front of me and then get scared when I can hear another one coming from behind but have not seen him yet. Or I want to be able to feel the realism of seeing the ogre's club coming right at me!!!

The 3rd person view just cannot deliver the level of fun, thrill, realism. Most importantly you just cannot feel completely engrossed inside the world of Dungeons and Dragons Online: Stomreach with a 3rd person "over the shoulder camera view"

Dear DDO player community:

Your support is incredibly appreciated and I fully understand how many of you do not enjoy playing in the first person view however I believe that it should at least be an option in the game for those of us who feel that all these amazing graphics are not being enjoyed to their full potential and also just to give the game that incredible "THRILL" feeling of being TOE TO TOE with your enemy. Rather then viewing your enemy from far away.

I'm willing to do whatever it takes to encourage everyone to put pressure on turbine to add a First person camera view to the game.

Thank-you very much for your time and support.

P.S. Turbine you rock! MOD 5 looks awesome!

All expectations exceeded! Please don't let the realism feel of the graphics go to waste! :o

DolfaTrueheart
08-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Petitions are f--king ******** ....

But I agree ... /sign.

Impaqt
08-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Full Zoomed in is Good enough for me..... I see no realy point other than to make this game even more Hack N' Slash

blakbyrd
08-29-2007, 11:27 AM
I am not against them adding this feature however I have no desire for it myself, and certainly wont put forth any cash for such.

If they want to add it or enough people ask for it so that they do, then great. Give the players more options, which I am all in favor of. Personally though, I ho need use or desire to have a first person view and would prefer developement time spent on currently remaining issues first.

Lorien_the_First_One
08-29-2007, 11:32 AM
I agree if for no other reason then I'm sick of something getting between my screen and "me" in game. Some hanging flag, spider web, whatever, and suddenly I can't see what I'm doing even though the way in front of my char is clear. Dumb...

ErgonomicCat
08-29-2007, 11:49 AM
You can send me the money, and I'll get right on it!

Vhlad
08-29-2007, 12:09 PM
I have two friends that I couldn't convince to play DDO because it wasn't first person.

Borrigain
08-29-2007, 12:12 PM
/signed. :)

They could just make it so when you scroll wheel zoom all the way in, you go to first person. That would make our awesome combat system even more enjoyable.

I think Oblivion Elder Scrolls does the same thing, but I haven't played it in months, so my memory may be kind of fuzzy.

Borr.

Dariuss
08-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Yeah Oblivion does - Morrowind too iirc

Personally, i like my camera pulled back as far as possible, so htis feature is of no interest to me.

But, I support it's development if it doesn't take away from building content

Drith
08-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Aye not at the cost of new content as it's just an option that probably 25 % of the community wants (will have to wait and see as that's a total guess in the dark).

All I know is that when I play Everquest, DOOM, HALO or any other first person game I'm like totally 100 % engrossed into the game... sounds behind me make me jump out of my chair... toe to toe fights make me sweat... going around corners in dungeons makes the hair on my neck stand up! Given Doom and Halo are FPShooters but no one can deny that if you played Everquest in a first person camera mode hanging out in the east commonlands watching the sun rise it felt like you WERE THERE!

In a 3rd person view it's so "Meh" I can see everything around and behind me... oh look a tiny club swinging at my little character bleh meh bleh blah....

Instead of OMG THAT SPIKED CLUB IS COMING RIGHT FOR ME!!!

I'll pay for the overtime !!!! 100 K plat an hour~! :eek: :eek:

Jarlaxel
08-29-2007, 09:58 PM
/signed

WilbyZ
08-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Sorry no interest... :) I'd like to see where I am standing and whats slightly behind me too (eg, when a mob sneaks up behind)

/notsigned.

Tenkari_Rozahas
08-29-2007, 10:44 PM
not signed. this isnt a FPH&S, his is a MMORPG. i like seeing whats around me, especially with the upcoming changes to invisible people detection.

Drith
08-30-2007, 09:08 AM
why the heck would you two even bother come here to say not interested... we already know that most likely 50 % if not more of the player base is not interested...

*boggle* :confused:

Lorien_the_First_One
08-30-2007, 09:49 AM
not signed. this isnt a FPH&S, his is a MMORPG. i like seeing whats around me, especially with the upcoming changes to invisible people detection.

Why does it being an MMORPG mean you shouldn't have first person view? Lets see...RPG...that means ROLL PLAYING GAME. Can you see from above yourself? Behind yourself? Seems to me the RPG part means we SHOULD have first person.

adamkatt
08-30-2007, 11:26 AM

The real question *** is an FPH&S?!?!

blakbyrd
08-30-2007, 11:51 AM
The real question *** is an FPH&S?!?!

First Person Hack & Slash

blakbyrd
08-30-2007, 11:54 AM
why the heck would you two even bother come here to say not interested... we already know that most likely 50 % if not more of the player base is not interested...

Not sure if I was included in that statment or not, but isnt this what the developement forum is for?

Players discuss why they want something and others discuss why they may not, or dont care if it is done or not. The very relpies can help Turbine decide where a suggestions importance is, and possibly bring up points they might miss in the development process of the discussed issue at their meetings.

I think it is a good thing that both sides participate or we could likely end up with new implementations that are screwed up due to situations they might have missed (granted it has happened before, so who knows if any of this really matters, it may just be here for players to talk).

Mad_Bombardier
08-30-2007, 12:11 PM
IMO, the big reason for the request is not to make DDO into a FPH&S, but to ease problems caused by quest layout. The danged 3rd person camera gets hung up on EVERYTHING in quests; tapestries, sconces, nooks, crannies, webs, moss, doorways, rocks, ladders, etc. The best I can do is zoom in and stare at the back of my big head. Which fixes the camera getting stuck, but makes it so I can't see anything smaller than a raid boss to target.

Beergut
08-30-2007, 12:18 PM
/signed

MtnLion
08-30-2007, 12:33 PM
In some cases it makes the actions retardedly difficult to not be ablet to put the camera in first person mode. An example would be swimming, since your body always blocks the camera, and changing the camera angle changes your swimming direction. So, I must concur that first person is desireable if not for the beauty of the game aspect, at least in practicality.

Ananvil
08-30-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm for it.

Drith
08-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Not sure if I was included in that statment or not, but isnt this what the developement forum is for?

Players discuss why they want something and others discuss why they may not, or dont care if it is done or not. The very relpies can help Turbine decide where a suggestions importance is, and possibly bring up points they might miss in the development process of the discussed issue at their meetings.

I think it is a good thing that both sides participate or we could likely end up with new implementations that are screwed up due to situations they might have missed (granted it has happened before, so who knows if any of this really matters, it may just be here for players to talk).

I completely agree with you blakbyrd and my post was not in response to yours. Your opinion was very constructive.

My response was to the following two below:

Sorry no interest... :) I'd like to see where I am standing and whats slightly behind me too (eg, when a mob sneaks up behind)

/notsigned.

What we are discussing is a request for Turbine to look the possibly of looking at implementing only an extra option for those of us who are having difficulties with their camera and feel that they would gain a lot more out of the game with a first person view of the world.

Now my *boggle* :confused: is a bit less *boggled* thanks Blackbyrd. You are right in that Turbine should also collect the information as to how many don't care versus do care so that they can decide how important something like this should be in their list of priorities of things that they may wish to allocate resources to. :)

I wish I was rich cause I'd hire a few more FTE's for Turbine if I was lol.... :rolleyes:

Drith
09-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Bump !

Arlith
09-04-2007, 02:07 PM

Because then the Devs might think everyone wants this. You say not interested then they know that some do and some don't or some do and a lot don't, or a lot do and some don't.

skraus1
09-04-2007, 02:39 PM
I think it would be a great idea. I get tired of looking at the back of my head and the game is not as engrossing as it could be.

DSL
09-04-2007, 05:33 PM
This is not something I would use, but frankly I was a little surprised that DDO didn't have it from the outset, given how common it is in both MMO's and non-MMO RPG's. I know many people who like this style, and assuming that it wouldn't hinder the existing camera views, I would have no problem with it.

That said, I for one find 1st person views ruin a game's immersiveness by so severely limiting what can be seen. Sure, in real life I can't see from above and behind me, but neither am I legally blind with a 30-degree field of vision. I for one in fact have a particularly wide field of vision (220-degrees), so the claustrophobic feel of 1st-person games makes me feel like I'm wearing blinders, or one of those deep, mysterious figure, can't-see-my-face hoods.

But that's me, and as I mentioned I am well aware that many people seem to prefer this. It's absence makes me suspect that its inclusion was simply prohibitive for the Dev's.

Drith
09-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Hey Arilith you're right and I retracted that stement. :)

DSL very good points and comments.

I think that making it so that at least your body dissapeared (even if they kept the camera position the exact same) would be equally as beneficial if not an even better solution).

So instead of your character being semi-transparent when you zoom all the way in and you still see the back of your forehead... they could simply just make your character become invisible at the absolute maximum zoomed in camera mode....

I mean certainly there cannot be any limitations to them to do this... they've already coded the game for you to go somewhat transparent... now they just need to move the little cursor over all the way so you become 100 % transparent.

Tell ya what Turbine I'll pay ya half what I was originally going to offer for this compromise. :)

Beherit_Baphomar
09-05-2007, 03:54 PM
I wouldnt use it, but its just another thing in-game that would make someone happy. And that can only be a good thing.

/signed.

DSL
09-05-2007, 04:25 PM
I think that making it so that at least your body dissapeared (even if they kept the camera position the exact same) would be equally as beneficial if not an even better solution).

So instead of your character being semi-transparent when you zoom all the way in and you still see the back of your forehead... they could simply just make your character become invisible at the absolute maximum zoomed in camera mode....

This seems like an excellent compromise. How doable it is I can't guess, but it would presumably be easier than a full-fledged 1st-person mode.

Shamguard
09-05-2007, 04:41 PM
A first person toggle is the one major feature that this game has been missing since beta. For me it just is so much more realistic to see through my characters eyes rather than the back of his head.

wundernewb
09-05-2007, 05:57 PM
The 3rd person view just cannot deliver the level of fun, thrill, realism. Most importantly you just cannot feel completely engrossed inside the world of Dungeons and Dragons Online: Stomreach with a 3rd person "over the shoulder camera view"

It would be neat, but until the technology exists to give you peripheral vision, many would find it frustrating, especially in quests where you need to negotiate obstacles. Some would say that having to look down at the ground to time a jump properly, or having to swing your view to pick up motion to that side, would be unrealistic, like adventuring with blinders on.

Not that I'm against it if it were optional, but IMO, 3rd-person is a nice view, because it at least gives you an artificial substitute for peripheral vision or spatial awareness which computer games currently lack.

Partymaker
09-05-2007, 06:29 PM

I mean certainly there cannot be any limitations to them to do this... they've already coded the game for you to go somewhat transparent... now they just need to move the little cursor over all the way so you become 100 % transparent.

Tell ya what Turbine I'll pay ya half what I was originally going to offer for this compromise. :)

I think that would be the best compromise, no doubt.

But here again, that would means a LOT of testing, cuz I can already hear what's coming out of this! :eek:

"Turbine, when I zoom, my character becomes invisible to...everyone!" :p

"Turbine, when I scroll back, I can't see my toon at all til I log out!" :rolleyes:

:D

blakbyrd
09-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Now my *boggle* :confused: is a bit less *boggled* thanks Blackbyrd. You are right in that Turbine should also collect the information as to how many don't care versus do care so that they can decide how important something like this should be in their list of priorities of things that they may wish to allocate resources to. :)

I wish I was rich cause I'd hire a few more FTE's for Turbine if I was lol.... :rolleyes:

Well to be completely fair in this issue, as making a determination on whether to do something or not do something, throwing in a grey area response (such as mine) probably doesnt really help much at all.

So, if it comes down to an "agree" or "disagree", in this type of mechanic, I will generally opt for the side of more options for players, and thus would agree to give the players the first person view ability. I am just neither for or against it as I simply wouldnt use it even if it were available, but I know many would and in that case I would side with them to try to help add such a basic option to the game that really doesnt affect anyone other than those who want the ability now but can't.

More options are a good thing as far as I'm concerned, especially when they are options that no one has to deal with if they don't want to.

Devlin
09-06-2007, 09:52 AM
/signed :)

The option would be a good one and I too have had people say they would play DDO if it were available.

Mark_G
09-06-2007, 10:21 AM
If first person were an option (and not the only choice), I would support it for those who want to use it. I, however, could never use first person viewpoints because I'd get motion-sick. Can't ever play Doom or Halo (or even watch someone else play).

In hindsight, not being able to play those games probably saved me hundreds of hours in my life! :)

Lorien_the_First_One
09-06-2007, 11:22 AM
If first person were an option (and not the only choice), I would support it for those who want to use it. I, however, could never use first person viewpoints because I'd get motion-sick. Can't ever play Doom or Halo (or even watch someone else play).

In hindsight, not being able to play those games probably saved me hundreds of hours in my life! :)

See I love doom because you get engrossed, because you can be surprised. Whe you are jumped from behind in Doom you actually jump. In DDO you see them coming from 10 ft behind you...*yawn*

It would be neat, but until the technology exists to give you peripheral vision, many would find it frustrating, especially in quests where you need to negotiate obstacles. Some would say that having to look down at the ground to time a jump properly, or having to swing your view to pick up motion to that side, would be unrealistic, like adventuring with blinders on.

Not that I'm against it if it were optional, but IMO, 3rd-person is a nice view, because it at least gives you an artificial substitute for peripheral vision or spatial awareness which computer games currently lack.

As long as you had the ability to toggle views (as you do now for zoom in/out) that wouldn't be a problem.

Drith
09-11-2007, 08:49 AM
bump....

Dane_McArdy
09-11-2007, 09:17 AM
DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying I'm for or against first person view.

But the reason they don't have this is because of the twitch nature of the combat system, and the ability to do things like tumble and such.

Can you imagine what your view would become while in first person and tumbling?

Sure, they could code it to swing out to a behind view while tumbling and then back in, but that could be just as bad, and would require a major reworking of the coding system.

That's the reason dev's have given. More dynamic combat, but that means no first person view.

Mad_Bombardier
09-11-2007, 09:27 AM
Can you imagine what your view would become while in first person and tumbling?

Sure, they could code it to swing out to a behind view while tumbling and then back in, but that could be just as bad, and would require a major reworking of the coding system.

That's the reason dev's have given. More dynamic combat, but that means no first person view.Dane, that's one of the many things I do NOT like about most FPS/twitch games. You can jump, tumble, etc. and there is no ill-effect whatsoever. In other games, you maintain your target and can immediately attack/shoot after tumbling. Sure, your screen does a little shake animation as you tumble, but that's it.

If it were really 1st-person, your camera would look at the ground, then the back wall, then the ceiling, then in front again as you tumbled and you'd lose your target/focus.

DSL
09-11-2007, 11:38 AM
If it were really 1st-person, your camera would look at the ground, then the back wall, then the ceiling, then in front again as you tumbled and you'd lose your target/focus.

But that's not really realistic either. Anyone who's good at tumbling can flip, somersault and roll without losing their spacial sense (and in fact from what I've heard it helps to focus on a stationary point of reference). This is largely how trapeze artists can flip through the air and still catch the next swing bar - they are tracking it in motion. a madly swinging camera POV does not account for a human's ability to move their head and eyes to keep their target in view through 80% of the maneuver.