PDA

View Full Version : Heighten Mechanics

WolfSpirit
08-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Ok, Question. (They really have to make a Q&A Forum not titled Newbie)
I've a new character and because its talked about highly in the forums and seems to help my spells, I've been using Heighten Metamagic.
But I'm not sure how it works.
What does "Raises spells to the highest you able to cast" mean anyway?
Seems to me that if I can cast it then its already at the highest level I can cast.
Can someone please explain this in detail for me?
Like how it helps in every way?
What spells are affected?
Full Details?

Thanks guys & Girls!

tihocan
08-29-2007, 08:58 AM
The DC that your enemies have to overcome when you throw a spell at them depends on the spell level (it's 10 + spell level + various modifiers).
Heighten increases a spell level to the maximum level you can cast (for instance casting a heightened command (L1 spell) with a L7 cleric would make the spell behave like a L4 spell, increasing the DC by +3).
Spells affected are (except for bugs) spells that grant a saving throw.

teddok
08-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Say you are LVL 11 and you cast Web, it will be cast as a LVL 2 Spell. Now if you Highten it it will now be a lvl 6 Spell, thus a higher DC to resisit.

negative
08-29-2007, 09:54 AM
It's all about the DC, as pointed out. Makes spells with saving throws land more often, and keeps your lower level spells viable against high level mobs with better saving throws.

The calc for spell DC is (10+spell level+attribute modifier+misc bonus[spell focus feat/items]).

Heightening a 2nd level web at 14th level, granting it +5 more to the spell's DC, makes a huge difference in how well that spell will hit mobs.

WolfSpirit
08-29-2007, 10:14 AM
Ok, got it.
It increases the ACTUAL spell level (like Hypno is a lv 1 spell) To the highest level that can be cast (Like lv 3 wiz can cast lv 2 spells) Making Hypno (for ex) a lv 2 spell instead of a level 1, giving it +1 DC.
And a lv 20 Wiz can cast lv 9 spells, making Hypno a lv 9 spell(I think max spell level still) for him highened, making it +8 to the DC.
Cool.

Now it all gels together!

Thanks guys!