PDA

View Full Version : The Drow Necromancer (A build by request)

Aspenor
08-29-2007, 08:20 AM
After posting my various takes on sorceror builds in their respective forums, I was requested to post my necromancer build. Once again, I'm building this at work and it is thus a work in progress. Thank you for your patience.

Stryyf Brok
Drow, Wizard 14
Neutral Good

Starting Stats
STR -- 8
DEX -- 10
CON -- 14
INT -- 20
WIS -- 12
CHA -- 10

Current Modified Stats
STR -- 14 (+2 tome, +4 str gloves)
DEX -- 10
CON -- 20 (+1 tome, +5 item)
INT -- 34 (+2 tome, +6 item, +3 levels)
WIS -- 18 (+1 tome, +5 item)
CHA -- 10 (14 when Eagle's Splendor cast for selling)

Feats
Empower Spell
Mental Toughness
Spell Focus: Necromancy
Heighten Spell
Maximize Spell
Extend Spell
Enlarge Spell
Greater Spell Focus: Necromancy

Enhancements
Wizard's Intelligence III
Improved Spell Penetration III
Elemental Manipulation III
Lineage of Elements II
Lineage of Deadly Elements III
Energy of the Scholar IV
Concentration II
Improved Heightening I
Improved Maximizing I

Favored Gear
Robe -- Fearsome of Heavy Fortification
Goggles -- +6 Intelligence Goggles
Headgear -- Shining Crest of St. Marcus or Mystic Band, replace with Wiz V or VI if possible
Gloves -- Ogre Power Gauntlets (+4 Str)
Bracers -- Bracers of the Demon's Consort
Cloak -- Stormreaver's Napkin
Ring #1 -- Concentration +10
Ring #2 -- Ring of Stormreaver Prophecy
Belt -- Disease Immunity of Greater False Life
Boots -- Feather Falling of Springing(+10)
Trinket -- Pearl of Power X, replace with Head of Good Fortune if you own Wiz V or VI
Main hand -- Superior Potency VI
Off hand -- Appropriate Superior Lore or Arcane Lore Item, occasionally replaced with a spell penetration VII or greater spell penetration V item
Staff -- Sometimes, I use a staff. The Dreamsplitter. Tons of gianthold and other quests can easily be tanked by a wizard wielding a dreamsplitter, with displacement, stoneskin, haste, and using mass hold person, flesh to stone, and other hold spells.

Playing a Necromancer
Playing a necromancer is one of the most entertaining things for me to do in DDO. There is no quest I cannot dominate, and utterly control all monsters within. Undead quests are like walking through a park, and anything vulnerable to Finger of Death better be prepared to make a godly fortitude save. Anything vulnerable to fear shall cower in my wake.

At early levels, necromancy focus will come in primarily useful for charming or halting undead, and for blinding enemies. Blindness is a highly underrated spell. Many named monsters, not vulnerable to holds or other crowd control, are vulnerable to blindness. Blindness gives a -4 to-hit, and forces a concealment roll. Also, in a party with rogues, it causes the monsters to be flat-footed and thus rogues get all sneak attacks. Blindness is never removed by enemies.

Finger of death...enough said. You will love it. KILL EVERYTHING.

FEAR. I love fear. Fear saves me so much SP it's silly. Round up everything in a mob and symbol of fear, or just plain fear. Everything cowers. MWAHAHAHAH. Helpless, unable to attack. I have sent entire mobs of 20s and 30s of high level monsters cowering in fear across a dungeon, pin them in a corner and firewall them in a group, or laugh as the melees make easy meat of them.

teddok
08-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Once again, I'm building this at work and it is thus a work in progress. Thank you for your patience.

You to huh. Thats were i make my best builds.

Eldun
08-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Thoughts on min/max a human dumping all into int and con? With a +3 Int tome one could still hit LV14 34 while having close to 200hp's AND getting another extra feat (even toughness for more hp's).

Thanks for the post!

Eldun

Aspenor
08-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Thoughts on min/max a human dumping all into int and con? With a +3 Int tome one could still hit LV14 34 while having close to 200hp's AND getting another extra feat (even toughness for more hp's).

Thanks for the post!

Eldun

You can get the same spell DCs now, but when the level increase comes I imagine drow will again be superior. But, the extra HP, feat, and skill points may be worth it, that's your decision.

Sybel
08-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Nice one Asp. This is almost a clone of my necro Dalmarin, with one major difference being that i took spell pen and imp. spell pen. instead of max and empower spell. Lets me cut right through almost anythings SR. I also focus on a lot of enchantment (ie. charms), with the philosophy that if you can beat 'em, recruit 'em. Works out great. Only thing im waiting for is when they raise the level cap, because at 15, ill get two feats. 3 guesses on what they are going to be. :)

Drfirewater79
08-30-2007, 04:02 PM
nice build could do the same thing to make a psionic wanna be if you switch out necromancy for enchantment or do the human thing and go both necromancy and enchantment or illusion what you dont pk you finger of death

cool build

Aspenor
08-30-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm redoing my enhancements tonight, so I'll post them when I'm finished.

*edit* Done.

NightbirdX
08-30-2007, 11:51 PM
This is very similar to my drow build I have started working on. I having never made a caster build before have a few questions. Do casters find that having the Feats Spell penetration and Greater Spell penetration are really over kill when you get to end game?

The second question is when do you find that the Metamagic feats are most useful, such as Heighten, Maximize, Enlarge, etc. Thanks :)

Sybel
08-31-2007, 12:18 AM
spell pen and greater spell pen arent overkill at endgame, they are almost necesary if you want to punch through SR. And as the levels go up, so will SR's so you want to keep your pen. as high as possible. as for metmagic feats: heighten is a must, extend is great if you plan to buff, enlarge is handy, but not needed, max an empower are nice, but instant kills and hold spells are just more effective endgame than nuking is. hope that helps.

GeneralDiomedes
08-31-2007, 12:20 AM
spell pen and greater spell pen arent overkill at endgame, they are almost necesary if you want to punch through SR. And as the levels go up, so will SR's so you want to keep your pen. as high as possible. as for metmagic feats: heighten is a must, extend is great if you plan to buff, enlarge is handy, but not needed, max an empower are nice, but instant kills and hold spells are just more effective endgame than nuking is. hope that helps.

hmm ... instakills .. mod5 .. undead .. constructs ..

Aspenor
08-31-2007, 08:26 AM
hmm ... instakills .. mod5 .. undead .. constructs ..

Yup. And once again, Stryyf will pwn all.

Btw-preferred gear and modified stats posted.

Aspenor
08-31-2007, 08:28 AM
You to huh. Thats were i make my best builds.

Okay I take that back, partially. I'm whipping this together from memory at work.

Sybel
08-31-2007, 08:28 AM
lol. inst-kills and spell pen may not be as important in the mod 5 content, but dont neglect them just because they might not be essential for the continuation of everyones least favoite quest line. We are talking about a necromancer build here, undead can be dealt with by charming and holding them. SR is going to be a much bigger issue as level increase, but yes, for mod 5 specifically, SR shouldnt be that big a deal, but who knows?

Sybel
08-31-2007, 08:29 AM
I cant wait to run around with my giant undead army.... :)

edit: What server are you on Asp? WE should run around and 2 man all these new quests if you are on Sarlona.

Aspenor
08-31-2007, 09:00 AM
I cant wait to run around with my giant undead army.... :)

edit: What server are you on Asp? WE should run around and 2 man all these new quests if you are on Sarlona.

Sorry Syb :( I make my demesne on Argonnessan.

Aspenor
08-31-2007, 09:02 AM
This is very similar to my drow build I have started working on. I having never made a caster build before have a few questions. Do casters find that having the Feats Spell penetration and Greater Spell penetration are really over kill when you get to end game?

The second question is when do you find that the Metamagic feats are most useful, such as Heighten, Maximize, Enlarge, etc. Thanks :)

I pretty much run around with heighten on all the time. Maximize for DPS, and maximize/empower for MAJOR dps, enlarge is only useful sometimes, but can be quite useful situationally.

For me, spell penetration doesn't quite fit into the build yet. I will probably take it as a feat at level 15, maybe even take both level 15 feats as spell pen/imp spell pen, but I might also take IMT instead.

Aspenor
08-31-2007, 09:30 AM
Fun things I have accomplished with this character:
Stormreaver solo
Wizard King Elite solo in less than 20 minutes
Hit the wisdom rune for the Dragon Raid (used +1 alchemy potion and borrowed a +6 wisdom item)
Various undead quests solod on elite
Offering of Blood solo
Demon Queen solo
and various other stuff I can't think of, at the moment.

I do laugh at people so obsessed with sorcerors they are blind to see the major benefits of being a wizard. A well played wizard can accomplish just as much as any sorceror.

Sybel
08-31-2007, 01:11 PM
Oh well asp, i suppose we will just have to romp those undead by oursellves :(