PDA

View Full Version : Ranger question.

Lexaraj
08-27-2007, 04:02 PM
I was thinking of picking Ranger or Rogue as my first class. I'm leaning more toward Ranger but I wanted to know if they need to use all ranged attacks. In most of the offline DnD based games I've played I made Ranger characters that played more in the melee than in the ranged field. Although I still had them use bows in some situations.

Would I be crippling myself/making myself unwanted by groups if I geared a Ranger character more toward melee than Ranged. Thanks.

DemonMage
08-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Nope, you'll be far more useful than if you were bow-focused. However do try and keep a good bow on you, especially once you get multishot and improved precise shot. They come in handy for a variety of situations, even if your standard mode is melee. Pulling, kiting, perching, air elementals, using multishot to actually do somewhat resonable damage, etc.

Mad_Bombardier
08-27-2007, 04:15 PM
A great many Rangers in DDO are Strength-based, melee characters. In DDO, you get both TWF and Bow combat styles for free as you level up. So, no. No one will look at you funny.

Lexaraj
08-27-2007, 04:29 PM
So would taking the Weapon Fineness talent and going for a high Dex and moderate strength score be the way to go?

Dariuss
08-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Just to re-iterate what they said:

My new favourite character is a melee Ranger. You won't be gimping yourself at all by going that route.

There are probably alot of builds you can look at in the Ranger forum.

PS. Some groups stil lassume Ranger=Ranged, so oyu may have to explain you are melee.

Mad_Bombardier
08-27-2007, 04:42 PM
So would taking the Weapon Fineness talent and going for a high Dex and moderate strength score be the way to go?That's what I did on my "old school" Ranger. However...

Rangers get their combat feats regardless of DEX score (no DEX prerequisite). So, the new trend in Rangers is to max STR and forget about Weapon Finesse. Put all of your level up points in STR and use the DEX enhancements to get enough DEX for the Max DEX bonus of your light armor.

KoboldKiller
08-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Play your ranger however you wish. I have two, one is a elf Dex build the other a dwarf Str build. They both do quite well. The dex builds are quite equipment dependant, however once you get a few bows such as curse spewers, wounders, and such you will be a great part of any party. Now a Dex build will never keep up with the melees but they still can hold their own. The Str build does great in melee but suffers a little in the Ranged dept. They also lack a little in ac due to being dual weilders (can go to shield if needed). Anyway not sure if this helps or not.

negative
08-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Also, FYI, if you plan to splash rogue levels (presumably for traps and such) you should make that your first level and then take ranger from there on out, you'll get slightly more skill points that way (a total of 8), as well as having the trapsmithing skills as class skills from level 1.

Lexaraj
08-27-2007, 05:05 PM
So what would you recommend as a starting stat build for a melee oriented Ranger?

Also, a bit off topic, but what is the max character level?

Symar-FangofLloth
08-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Currently, level cap is 14. Expect it to go up (very) end of this year or early (to mid) next year to 16, probably.

boldarblood
08-27-2007, 07:32 PM
I was thinking of picking Ranger or Rogue as my first class. I'm leaning more toward Ranger but I wanted to know if they need to use all ranged attacks. In most of the offline DnD based games I've played I made Ranger characters that played more in the melee than in the ranged field. Although I still had them use bows in some situations.

Would I be crippling myself/making myself unwanted by groups if I geared a Ranger character more toward melee than Ranged. Thanks.

I actually prefer melee based Rangers over Ranged Rangers. At end game content imho they are alot more viable.

I just recently built my first ranger and it has quickly become my favorite character. I built a Strength Based Dwarf 1/13 Rogue/Ranger. Have full function Rogue on top of incredible combat ability. I built a character very similiar to Grenfells Round Mound of Astound Build. (under Steffon: The Round Mound of Astound) http://divinity1.21.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?p=574#574

Its a very solid build and a heck of a lot of fun to play.

JelloMold
08-27-2007, 08:38 PM
The best thing about a melee ranger is you are essentially a great front line damage dealer that can heal himself and others, throw buffs, and still be around to pick up stones from the damage dealers who couldn't heal themselves :p . Rangers can do just about everything. Even if you go with a more "traditional" ranger and Weapon Finesse, you will still be welcome right up on those front lines. I love dealing some damage while not taking much since I'm not the main damage dealer (aka aggro magnet). Your extra level of rogue is nice then for the sneak damage bonus.

With the disparity between ranged and melee attack speeds (for reference you can read about 50 threads on the subject that all say the same things), you'll find that unless you have some really sweet ranged weapons, you'll be much more effective as another meleer. With that said, I still like ranging as it makes it easier for me to help out with the healing and in controlling the flow of really nasty mobs.

Rangers are a blast to go all the way with, but you'll also see a lot who take ranger for the first 2 levels to get 2 weapon fighting for free and then continue on as another class. Both have some merits.

A while back a bunch of threads with nice builds were lost. Not sure what is on the ranger forums now, but that is definitely a great place to check it out. As you've already said, you kind of have to decide now if you want to go DEX focused, STR focused, or a mix. One thing that I'd recommend is not worrying too much about your WIS score. That is where your spells come from, but +4 items are pretty common by mid levels, and there are even +6s floating out there. You should be fine starting out around 11 or so.

Also, pay attention to the bonuses offered for each race. Depending on the direction you want to go, one race may be a better fit.

Welcome to the game!

Aranticus
08-27-2007, 10:49 PM
i play a dex ranger with 36 dex, wear robes and swings toothpicks. i have to admit when it comes to battle, i'm not able to put alot of dmg out due to having only 20 str. but in many quests, i'm still able to perform decently. its not a matter of what but rather how you play a particular build.

for me it means holding back until the bigger nastier tanks engage the mobs then wade in with my wounders. w/o agro, i dun get hit and with 7 con per round, the mobs drops like flies. on my own, i can put up some nasty bites dual wielding a +3 shocking burst rapier of puncturing and a paralysing light pick. when my multi shot is ready, i usually use my wounding of puncturing bow. different situations calls for different weapon sets. but my main purpose is to mitigate agro and damage.

no agro = no damage. helpless mob = no damage. ranged = no damage. i do this becoz i'm squishy (less than 200 hp). compare to other classes, rangers are perhaps the most versatile. but this versatility can be a burden if you do not know how to utilise it

Delzon
08-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Also check out the ranger forum for a lot of build types.