PDA

View Full Version : Dismissal and Banishment are useless?

Taishi
08-27-2007, 10:07 AM
What spells do you cast against summoned creatures like mephit, elemental, flesh render and reaver? I use dismissal and banishment, but it seems these spells are often saved. PK is often saved, too. On normal, its ok(dismissal is still saved), but on hard or elite, even with enervation these dont work well. I have SF, GSF illusion, +1 DC items.

bandyman1
08-27-2007, 10:53 AM
What spells do you cast against summoned creatures like mephit, elemental, flesh render and reaver? I use dismissal and banishment, but it seems these spells are often saved. PK is often saved, too. On normal, its ok(dismissal is still saved), but on hard or elite, even with enervation these dont work well. I have SF, GSF illusion, +1 DC items.

Trust me, they aren't useless. Wait till you run the Reaver raid, lol.

Aspenor
08-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Dancing Ball + Mind Fog + Banishment = Easy Button

Impaqt
08-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Banishment and Dismissal are not Illusion.. THey are ABjuration.

WHats your INT?

My Cleric has no problem at all Landing Banishes and dismisals witha 30Wis and just +1 DC Via Reaver Napkin.

Mad_Bombardier
08-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Dancing Ball + Mind Fog + Banishment = Easy ButtonThanks for the tip on Mind Fog. I typically forget it because I don't need help with beating Will saves (I selectively use Will save spells on targets with already low Will). But, when HD is involved in the save, -10 Will save helps a ton!

Dariun
08-27-2007, 12:03 PM
What spells do you cast against summoned creatures like mephit, elemental, flesh render and reaver?

Charm. They make great pets.

Gulva
08-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Use Heighten.

Mad_Bombardier
08-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Use Heighten.Banishment is a level 7 spell for Wizards and Sorcs. Heighten has nothing to do with it; it's the mob HD included in the calculation.

MrWizard
08-27-2007, 04:29 PM

IT does depend on your level...a lot..

mephit- I find PK works unusually well, as does flesh to stone and charm
elemental- pk, fod, enervate for the elders

flesh render and (fire)reaver- flesh to stone, pk, fod, hold monster, charm monster, assuming you have the spell pen feats, otherwise forget it and go cloudkill/fog. Without spell pen feats against these, you are just wasting a lot of mana to kill them...just fog em and let the fighters take em out.

Taishi
08-28-2007, 04:26 AM
I think my Int is almost maximized(about tome, I have only +1 though). So monster level might be much higher than I. I have never used mind fog, so I will consider using it. Thank you for reply.

Gulva
08-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Banishment is a level 7 spell for Wizards and Sorcs. Heighten has nothing to do with it; it's the mob HD included in the calculation.
So dismiss and PK are level 7 too? Oh thanks, didn't know that.

Aspenor
08-28-2007, 02:22 PM
So dismiss and PK are level 7 too? Oh thanks, didn't know that.

Dismiss is level 5, banishment is level 7. Heighten only works on Dismissal.

On the note of cloudkill, I expect to see many reavers/renders/flensers to be immune to all poison, including Cloudkill, post mod 5. Check the WDA.

Vienemen
08-30-2007, 04:27 PM
I sense he was being sarcastic, and rightly so.

Arnya
08-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Try Greater Command + Melee :)

And have a minimum 28 wisdom as a cleric...

EDIT: I love orders wrath now too - works well in the reaver

Merjon
08-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Banishment's key is that it's a multi target spell. You get a group of mephits/hounds/reavers/elementals together in a dungeon like Invaders or on the Reaver Raid and watch up to 4 go down at a time. VERY nice in the right situation.

In general their fort saves are lower, but when you can hit more than one at once, or it's worth having mind fog up? Beautiful.