PDA

View Full Version : Build Critique

QuantumFX
08-27-2007, 01:05 AM
For my 1st character back at the dawn of DDO I decided to play my favorite class from P&P - the cleric. Quite frankly it was a disaster. With mod 4's arrival people I've played with for over a year had this to say "It's fun to play a cleric now." So, I'm going to try it again. :eek:

The following is the general game plan for my cleric. I need feedback. Do I have decent feat/enhancement choice going on?

Edit: this is version 2 based on some feedback I received.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 2.70
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 14 Neutral Good Human Male
(14 Cleric)
Hit Points: 174
Spell Points: 1101
BAB: 10\10\15\20
Fortitude: 12
Reflex: 4
Will: 16

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 14)
Strength 15 18
Dexterity 9 10
Constitution 15 16
Intelligence 10 10
Wisdom 16 24
Charisma 11 12

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 14
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 14
+1 Tome of Constitution used at level 14
+1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 14
+1 Tome of Charisma used at level 14

Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 14)
Balance 1 8.5
Bluff 0 1
Concentration 6 20
Diplomacy 4 18
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 0 1
Heal 3 7
Hide -1 0
Intimidate 0 1
Jump 2 4
Listen 3 7
Move Silently -1 0
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 0 0
Search 0 0
Spot 3 7
Swim 2 4
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Cleric)
Feat: (Human Bonus) Extend Spell
Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness

Level 2 (Cleric)

Level 3 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell

Level 4 (Cleric)

Level 5 (Cleric)

Level 6 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Mental Toughness

Level 7 (Cleric)

Level 8 (Cleric)

Level 9 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Spell Penetration

Level 10 (Cleric)

Level 11 (Cleric)

Level 12 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Spell Focus: Necromancy

Level 13 (Cleric)

Level 14 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Human Adaptability Strength II
Enhancement: Human Adaptability Wisdom I
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Empower Healing I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life II
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life III
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life II
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic II
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic III
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic IV
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot I
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot II
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot III
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot IV
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom II
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom III
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Cleansing I
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality I
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality II
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning I
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning II

Gennerik
08-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Looks fine to me. You've got DVs, which will make casters happy(er), decent healing skills (though you'll probably have to rely on wands a little bit, since your healing spells will be a little less powerful and cost more), and can still go around swinging a weapon if you want.

Grenfell
08-27-2007, 08:16 AM
Looks okay -- a bit of fighting, bit of healing, bit of offensive casting.

The one thought I do have is to make some choices and tighten up your focus a bit. No Life Magic IV, no Energy IV -- so you can pick up some other random enhancements? Not sure if that's a good use of enhancements.

I would take another look at that -- see if you can't shift points around to get those.

Also, Improved Empower Healing II (as currently implemented) isn't really worth the spend. I'd take Improved EH I but no futher -- and depending on how the metamagics are reworked, I'd eliminate it altogether.

I'm no fan of DH, but especially not if it's only DH 2 -- either focus on it all the way or don't bother with it at all. Those 3 AP's are useful elsewhere.

/gren

QuantumFX
08-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Excellent. I wasn't sure how focused I needed to be with the enhancement chains. Heres the update:

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 2.70
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 14 Neutral Good Human Male
(14 Cleric)
Hit Points: 174
Spell Points: 1101
BAB: 10\10\15\20
Fortitude: 12
Reflex: 4
Will: 16

Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 14)
Strength 15 18
Dexterity 9 10
Constitution 15 16
Intelligence 10 10
Wisdom 16 24
Charisma 11 12

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 14
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 14
+1 Tome of Constitution used at level 14
+1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 14
+1 Tome of Charisma used at level 14

Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 14)
Balance 1 8.5
Bluff 0 1
Concentration 6 20
Diplomacy 4 18
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 0 1
Heal 3 7
Hide -1 0
Intimidate 0 1
Jump 2 4
Listen 3 7
Move Silently -1 0
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 0 0
Search 0 0
Spot 3 7
Swim 2 4
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Cleric)
Feat: (Human Bonus) Extend Spell
Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness

Level 2 (Cleric)

Level 3 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell

Level 4 (Cleric)

Level 5 (Cleric)

Level 6 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Mental Toughness

Level 7 (Cleric)

Level 8 (Cleric)

Level 9 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Spell Penetration

Level 10 (Cleric)

Level 11 (Cleric)

Level 12 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Spell Focus: Necromancy

Level 13 (Cleric)

Level 14 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Human Adaptability Strength II
Enhancement: Human Adaptability Wisdom I
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Empower Healing I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life II
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life III
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life II
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic II
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic III
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic IV
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot I
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot II
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot III
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot IV
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom II
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom III
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Cleansing I
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality I
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality II
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning I
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning II

Sojourner
08-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Diplo is an odd choice for a skill on a cleric, but it might work for a melee cleric.

You've go the Concentration and Balance. Usually people look at Jump or Heal for their third. But, the ability to diplo mobs to give you some space to cast cure's might be a nice touch.

I would probably disagree with Grenfel on the Improved Empower Healing II enhancement. IEH III is absolutely way to expensive, and if you don't have I, then there is not much need to carry the feat. But, taking I or II is probably mostly a matter of choice and what else do you want for APs.

Personally, I took DVI and no DC or Extra turning, then put the extra points into IEH II and some Wand Mastery.

The differences are going to be pretty minor though. It's going to cost you a touch more per spell to heal people, but you'll be able to give casters more mana so they can kill stuff faster, possibly requiring less healing overall.

QuantumFX
08-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Diplo is an odd choice for a skill on a cleric, but it might work for a melee cleric.

You've go the Concentration and Balance. Usually people look at Jump or Heal for their third. But, the ability to diplo mobs to give you some space to cast cure's might be a nice touch.

I would probably disagree with Grenfel on the Improved Empower Healing II enhancement. IEH III is absolutely way to expensive, and if you don't have I, then there is not much need to carry the feat. But, taking I or II is probably mostly a matter of choice and what else do you want for APs.

Personally, I took DVI and no DC or Extra turning, then put the extra points into IEH II and some Wand Mastery.

The differences are going to be pretty minor though. It's going to cost you a touch more per spell to heal people, but you'll be able to give casters more mana so they can kill stuff faster, possibly requiring less healing overall.

Yeah the thought process for Diplomacy is to keep the baddies attentions on the wizard... :D I went with odd numbered stats to take advantage of +1/+3/and hopefully +5 tomes. I took Divine Cleansing 1 for the ability to dispel poison and disease. I'm hoping it would be nicer than having to cart wands around. Now I've been hearing nothing but mediocre things about wand mastery is it worth it?

Grenfell
08-27-2007, 10:59 AM
I think it's more focused.

I missed the 10 intel -- why? The 2 pts can go into making your Con 16 starting, or dex to 10 and cha to 12. Cleric isn't a high-skill class anyhow, so I think that's a waste of 2 points.

/gren

Shrazkil
08-27-2007, 01:25 PM
To be honest, i donot like it.

Any cleric can be a useful addition to a party, so i'm not doubting the usefulness here. You could however be much more effective if you focus'd alittle more on at least 1 strength.

Not having Heal skill will cost you immense amounts of mana, or money. Diplomacy is nice, but not needed, even if melee'ing. Your mild increases in some stats are far from needed , especially on a human.

Your feat selections and enhancement selections are spot on though. I would re-evaluate your stats however.

16 Str
8 Dex
14 Con
8 Int
18 Wis
8 Cha
If you wanted more of a battle-cleric

12 Str
8 Dex
14 con
8 Int
18 Wis
14 Cha
If you want more of a balance.

Going human eliminates your need for 10 Int, which is a huge human selling point. Wisdom is tough to give up, especially if you are going as far as taking spell focus feats for it.

QuantumFX
08-29-2007, 01:51 AM
Well I really really wanted Diplomacy, Concentration and Balance and a 10 INT was the only way to accomplish this. (I wouldn't mind jump as well but there's a spell to boost that.)

So far, Diplomacy's been working out well. (I have it hotkeyed to the same button my tank uses for intimidate.) It allows me to stay closer to the action because the moment stuff tries to hit me it turns around and goes after someone else. (If you have an intimitank around it helps push things to them for the 4 seconds stuff isn't under their control.) Being a noob to combat casting I need as much breathing room as I can get.

I also have a lot of trouble buying an 18 base Wis even though human's are the only race that can take advantage of an even numbered main attribute. 6 build points... :eek:

I'm glad that the only issues seem to be minor issues on build philosophies. Now on to some combat casting issues. One of the guys I know on Sarlona suggested I map my main heal spell and my main wand to the F and C keys. (I went with G and B because of my manly fingers on a dainty laptop keyboard.) Does anyone else have some ideads on other stuff I should have hotkeyed? How do you guys have your hotbars configured? (I figured spells would take hotbars 1-4, weaponsets 5, and items/clickies 6-10)

Sojourner
08-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Here's my cleric's setup (http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z180/sojourner9/?action=view&current=ScreenShot00125.jpg)

I use mouse for most everything, hotkey very few things. So, I put my healing spells right next to where the list of party members show up.

moops
08-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Heal skill is useless at mid to high levels--and at lower levels if you run with Twinks. I wish that I could redo the skill points on my 1st cleric and put them all in Balance. My 2nd dumped all her points into Con and Balance, and the rest in haggle.

I have my most used offensive casting spells mapped the the F Keys, I keep my healing bar Vertical and next to the Party bars--I can cast and heal pretty quickly like this. I tab to enemy hit whichever F Key, and then use mouse to heal a party member if I need to and then I tab enemy again and press an F Key again. Basically I can heal with my mouse while using my left hand to cast Destructions and Greater Commands, etc.

Here is my basic set up for both clerics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/simply_booked/ScreenShot00007.jpg