PDA

View Full Version : +1 Saves Feat for Paladin?

Rason
08-27-2007, 12:30 AM
Is it worth taking this feat as a paladin or would it be a waste? The way I see it it just means you need not bump your charisma up as high.

I'm curious on others opinions since alot of the builds I see out there are very + to attack based. My dwarven paladin has Toughness, Shield Mastery, Stunning Blow and the above feat (name escapes me, hero something).

As a note, my paladin's role is more around being a doorjam or a brick wall when it comes to being hit, hence making sure my saves are high as with the Dwarf Spell Defense.

Blazer
08-27-2007, 04:45 AM
Taking a saves feat on a pally is a waste. Since you get so few feats on a paladin, raising saves via CHA/Divine Grace is the smarter way to go. Spend the feats for offensive capabilities, not to enhance your saves.

Roguewiz
08-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Is it worth taking this feat as a paladin or would it be a waste? The way I see it it just means you need not bump your charisma up as high.

I'm curious on others opinions since alot of the builds I see out there are very + to attack based. My dwarven paladin has Toughness, Shield Mastery, Stunning Blow and the above feat (name escapes me, hero something).

As a note, my paladin's role is more around being a doorjam or a brick wall when it comes to being hit, hence making sure my saves are high as with the Dwarf Spell Defense.

No matter how high your Cha is...
No matter how many "saves" feats you have...
Doesn't even matter if you have evasion...

You still fail on a 1.

With that being said, Paladins already have the highest saves in the game, pushing mid 20s+ to all (typically). They also have one of the highest ACs in the game. About the only thing most Paladins lack, is offensive potential. Take the feats to increase your DPS, it'll be better in the long run.

Girevik
08-27-2007, 02:54 PM

I think you may have answered your own question there without really disagreeing with the previous two posters.

Paladins are expected to have a certain level of saves. There is a certain level of saves at which "more" no longer becomes useful, because you are only failing on ones.

If you shorted your Charisma in order to buy more Strength, knowing you would buy the "Luck of Heroes" Feat to fill in the saves gap, then you have in effect used your Feat to increase your DPS.

So, the questions you have to ask yourself, is how good is your other gear? How are your saves overall? If you are failing on ones and twos and can cut that in half, that is huge. If, however, your saves can handle the hit, then spend it somewhere else.

adamr09
04-05-2008, 05:34 PM
the feat u r talking about is Luck of Heros. honestly i dont really think it is worth it. its just +1 on saves and yes, sometimes that can save you. but mostly not. plus since u r a pally, ur saves should b ok as it is. plus once u get some nice gear, that +1 to saves will seem like a waste. i think you cud use that feat slot for something better than that.