PDA

View Full Version : Quick question regarding scroll formula

Nick_RC
08-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Whats the formula for using scrolls? im not worried bout minimum lvl requirements.

For example a lvl7cleric/lvl7 X trying to use a heal scroll - whats the fail rate?

CHeers in advance

Rage

Riorik
08-26-2007, 08:04 AM
It's the best of either:

UMD
Caster Level Checks

ASF (Arcane Spell Failure) is checked - currently it's being misapplied to True Sight Scrolls used by Clerics and may be fixed at some future time.

UMD rule is:
16+ 4*Level of Spell. Take the characters' UMD, add a d20 - if it's equal or higher, you succeed if you don't hit the ASF percentage (if relevant)

Caster Level Check.

Each spell requires a minimum caster level to succeed. For a Cleric/Wizard, a 5th level spell would require a 9th level caster, normally, to simply cast the spell. For each caster level required, you assume 2 points are needed...so, to succeed with a 5th level scroll, you would have to roll an 18 on your caster level check.

Each current level you have is worth 2 points - so at Cleric 7 - you have 14 points. On the d20 that gets added, you need to roll at least a 4 to reach 18.

Xirxx
09-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Just to clarify so I understand fully.

I am a level 5 sorc and trying to use Stoneshield scroll.

SS scroll is level 7 - so I need a 14 or better right?

Scenario #1
Level 5 x 2 = 10
I need to roll a four or better

Scenario #2
UMD is 14+ - no roll

Is this correct?

Impaqt
09-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Simply Put

Caster Level Check:

(2x{Your Caster Level} +d20) > (2x{Scroll level})

Xirxx
09-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Simply Put

Caster Level Check:

(2x{Your Caster Level} +d20) > (2x{Scroll level})

So, UMD willl not be taken into account ever?

GHOSTRYDER
09-17-2007, 11:01 AM
So, UMD willl not be taken into account ever?

if your chances of using the scroll are greater via umd, then umd comes into play, if your chances are greater via caster lvl check, it doesnt. the game automatically chooses whichever option gives you the highest chance to succeed

Mad_Bombardier
09-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Scenario #1
Level 5 x 2 = 10
I need to roll a four or better

Scenario #2
UMD is 14+ - no roll

Is this correct?Correct. For Arcane scrolls, you will ALWAYS use caster level check. For Divine Scrolls, you will use UMD check.

Edit: I say ALWAYS for pure classes because it's a better chance of success. Since you can use a scroll at most 2 caster levels higher than your own, you will always succeed on a 4+. The same cannot be said for UMD checks, which increase in difficulty by 4 for every spell level. Likewise, splash classes like 13Sorc/1Cleric trying to use a Raise Dead scroll will have better success with 21+ UMD than 16+ on a caster check.

Impaqt
09-17-2007, 11:09 AM
People Like to confuse the Issue.....

UMD is Pretty straight forward.. Most people "Get it" Take your UMD Skill and Add a D20 to meet or beat the DC. Period. No multiplication or other factors....

Caster Level check is what confuses most people....

The game takes whatever gives you the better chance at success.

Xirxx
09-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Correct. For Arcane scrolls, you will ALWAYS use caster level check. For Divine Scrolls, you will use UMD check.

Thanks!