PDA

View Full Version : Drow Bard /w Heavy Repeater

Mahtan
08-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Hey folks, I would like to make a Drow Bard with proficiency in the Heavy Repeater. I was wondering if it is a bad idea to take 1 level of Fighter at first level to get the feat, or if I should just wait until level 3 as a full bard to get it. I don't intend on being the toughest or most bad-*ssed bard out there, just a general run of the mill fun bard. I intend on doing a fair bit of soloing and work with my guild. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Freeman
08-26-2007, 12:55 AM
No matter what, don't take a level of fighter at first level. If you start with a bard, you'll get 24 + (4*Int Modifier) starting skill points. Fighters will only get 8 + (4*Int Mod). By starting with bard, you can max perform, UMD, and other skills you want.

As for whether you should take a level of fighter at all, that one is tougher to answer. I suggest you use the character generator to map out your character all the way to level 14. Unless you absolutely need the free feat that you get for taking a level of fighter, you will probably be better off staying pure bard

CSFurious
08-26-2007, 08:38 PM
IMO you will find more standard crossbows v. repeaters in your looting & rapid reload still makes you shoot pretty fast

i have a banisher, cursespewer & paralyzer, all regular crossbows & because of rapid reload i can shoot pretty fast

peace

Baervan
08-28-2007, 11:07 AM
I've played around with two versions of a repeater bard and you should definitely take bard as your first class. Try to get a keen repeater at low levels (you'd be surprised how easy they are to find) and later on make sure that you grab the precision feat to take full advantage of stat damaging repeaters.

jarlaxle_dourden
08-28-2007, 11:20 AM
My heavy repeating bard is level 14 and I have to tell you ... that felt like the easiest char I ever took to 14 ... a lot of fun to play.

I took heavy repeater as one of my feats ... I swapped it in when I was level 10 (can't rem what I dropped) until then I used normal crossbows.

I find my bard very useful ...

1) I can buff the party
2) I can rapidly debuff the mobs

I don't draw much aggro because I don't do much damage but I do give lots of stat damage of various forms.

The key is to wait until your tank has aggro ... then start firing away ... if you try to hit first you are a dead man/woman :)

I would say this build is definitely worth your time and effort ... valuable to the party and a lot of fun to play ...

My best piece of advice to you ... start looking for your heavy repeating paralyzer now ;) It will make you everyone's best friend.

Cheers.

Tenkari_Rozahas
08-29-2007, 05:44 PM
My heavy repeating bard is level 14 and I have to tell you ... that felt like the easiest char I ever took to 14 ... a lot of fun to play.

I agree. my heavy repeater drow is fun. I got a couple bursting Repeaters... so I keep hold monster on me at all times. toss that up, if i see blue rings. i shoot like mad and many times i take down the mob before everyone focusing on the other monster get their target down.