PDA

View Full Version : A Question for all the "Newbies" out there

XFracture
08-25-2007, 10:06 PM
How did you get into DDO? Just curious, everyone keeps talking about how there isn't any advertising efforts on Turbines part so I was curious as to what is bringing in the fresh meat?

Word of mouth? Saw it in a store? Advertisement in a magazine?

UriahHeep
08-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Never new the game existed. Was walking through the store and saw it on the shelf. Was very hesitant on buying it since I had no idea what it was about. Just so happens I bought it on the third day of release.

I may have seen a magazine ad once a few months ago for it.

haggss
08-27-2007, 10:09 PM
I heard the DDO podcast, thought it sounded fun. I had played DD back in the 80's but hadn't played for years. Thought I have a go and I love it. Haven't figured out how to get in a party yet but I will. It is funny how this game is very much like I used to picture the game when I role played it except I'd rather it be a if you die you die game like we used to play instead of being restored. I know I could play it that way but the game is set up to die and restore.

Borror0
08-27-2007, 11:41 PM
I heard the DDO podcast, thought it sounded fun. I had played DD back in the 80's but hadn't played for years. Thought I have a go and I love it. Haven't figured out how to get in a party yet but I will. It is funny how this game is very much like I used to picture the game when I role played it except I'd rather it be a if you die you die game like we used to play instead of being restored. I know I could play it that way but the game is set up to die and restore.

1. To get in a party, open the Social panel, the rest is pretty natural. To open it, press O.
2. There are Permadeath on Thelanis, where when you die, you must delete the character or leave the game. One of them is called Sublime.

Dkmafia
08-30-2007, 04:42 AM
Never new the game existed. Was walking through the store and saw it on the shelf. Was very hesitant on buying it since I had no idea what it was about. Just so happens I bought it on the third day of release.

I may have seen a magazine ad once a few months ago for it.

Similar story.

Alvian_Naivla
08-30-2007, 09:15 AM
My wife was googling for free to play games, and DDO poped up with their 10-day free trial.

We had never heard of it before, and gave it a go...been playing on and off ever since.

As far as I can remember, we've never seen any adds, or seen a box in the stores.

svea
09-01-2007, 01:51 AM
My coworker told me about the game and it sounded like fun. Honestly, I am THOROUGHLY lost because I've never played D&D before! I hope I can figure it out...

Ghoste
09-01-2007, 02:14 AM
My coworker told me about the game and it sounded like fun. Honestly, I am THOROUGHLY lost because I've never played D&D before! I hope I can figure it out...
You're at a good start. The forums are a well of valuable information.

Borror0
09-01-2007, 09:53 PM

Like Thiocan said, DDOwiki is a really good source of information. Use the search option and you'll find reliable information. Also, just ask your questions here and we'll answer. :)

joracie
09-02-2007, 11:49 PM
I use to play some small FPS games in small league competitively play with intelligent mature people(staying away from big messy games full of idiots) and from their went to WoW. Whoops addicted. Well After playing for a long bit and some very very bad customer service, Some hard thinking about the people and gameplay and left(this is after re buying the game and going on a major grind on my new priest. No quest just kill mob kill mob kill mob kill respawned mob ETC ETC About 6 and a half days ingame time(6x24+12 hours)
In a few weeks.)

Well I stilled loved MMOs, Went to guildwars...Meh...Tried just about every free MMO out there(Knight,Silkroad,Fly for free,space cowboys just a few..Some I played for a month or two some for about two hours. I found most of the games on Wikipedia(they had BIG lists of MMOS) and some other websites. Found DDO and was in the begging very reluctant... But tried it...Combat? beautiful! People? amazing! smart! nice! not idiots! woohoo! and most importantly for me. Good story lines and well written quest that felt real. I am the absolutest opposite of people who want giant worlds with go kill 20 kobolds then 25 etc quest. I wanna walk somewhere and jump into a real narrated quest that is interesting with deep fast paced combat(brings back my old hostile intent league days!) that is just plain fun. I will not play another MMO again :)

I also like the small close knit comunity with active(and funny!) dev post on the forum. It brings back my old small halflife mod years! It is just the perfect game.

To make it a little shorter I used small FPS then moved to WoW...Decided I hated WoW and would be a little wary with all blizzard games from now on. Searched high and low on wikipedia and other sites for MMOS...Found some bad ones and found DDO...And me huggle DDO now!

Deriaz
09-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Been playing for almost a year now, but I remember seeing this game waaaay back, before beta. I surfed the forums, signed up for the beta, cause me and my friend were looking for a fun D&D game, but online.

Never got the beta invite, and eventually lost the site due to a computer problem. I forgot to bookmark the page again, and it faded from my mind.

After playing WoW for a year, I decided enough was enough, and canceled my account. But I was in love with MMOs by then, and wanted something fresh. I don't remember what game I WAS looking for, but I know DDO ended up on the list of pages for Google. I thought, "Hey, wait a sec. . . Is that. . .?" Clicked, downloaded, played the trial, fell in love.

-D

Tequila
09-05-2007, 10:23 AM
I had been playing D&D PnP off and on since 1979 but hadn't played in a long time. I introduced my kids to it back in the 80s'. Then one Sunday, about a year ago, my son was over my house and we were talking about D&D and he told me he'd been playing the on-line version of it for 'bout a month. So he showed it to me and I downloaded the free trial version and been hooked ever since.

Now I'd never played a MMO before this so out of curiousity I've tried WOW and Guild Wars in the past year. Even though they're fun I don't think they compare to DDO. The maturity and helpfulness of the people in DDO for the most part is great. I think for a lot of us it falls back on the table top days. Plus those lucky enough to belong to good guilds just amplify the fun and community experience.

But that's just my 2 cp for what it's worth.

PranasP
09-10-2007, 04:36 PM
We got high speed internet access in house last fall my 12 year old wanted to play a free game their friends recommended, Adventurequest I think. And... they wanted me to try with them. I started and wanted something a little more sophisticated. Got in contact with old PnP friends who were WoW addicts. Tried it but wasnt addicted. While lloking for more fre games for the boys came across the free trial version., took it on laptop for week long work trip that had a lot of down time.

Addicted. Subscribed. (secretly). 3 weeks later boys gave me store version for Xmas present I had to pretend to be happy (which wasnt hard).

trinket
11-17-2007, 09:18 AM
How did you get into DDO? Just curious, everyone keeps talking about how there isn't any advertising efforts on Turbines part so I was curious as to what is bringing in the fresh meat?

I'v played the d20 system for about 6 months with friends and learned about this from them. I'm in the process of downloading the free trial to check it out and plan on buying within a week.

Azure83
02-18-2008, 08:53 PM
My brother actually introduced me to the paper version of D & D, and I just got into this as a way to play whenever I don't do that. We just moved cross country and I haven't had a chance to meet anyone with similar interests. Plus, online is nice because if I want to play at 3 AM- I play.

bhuma
02-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Recent changes to another MMO forced my girlfriend and I to start looking for another game. Went to mmorpg.com to research alternatives. Already played EQ, EQ2, WoW, Lotro, CoH, so we were looking for something different. DDO fit that bill nicely. Ive been in game for a couple of days testing the waters, and I like it a lot. She will join me here tommorrow.

samnoth
02-20-2008, 05:36 PM
I remeber being excited that game was coming since I was a pnp player way back. But when i read about the style of the game, the heavy emphasis on groups and near total instancing, I decided to stick with WoW. Now after playing way too much WoW and dealing with far too much guild drama, instead to quitting the guild I had formed over 2 years ago, I decided to play something different and the free trial made it a no-brainer to try. I am having fun playing, but am slightly more impressed with the community than the game, especially having come from WoW. I have found people to be very helpful.

IgorUnchained
02-22-2008, 06:57 AM

I was/am a console gamer. I had a few friends who were playing and I heard about one of them going overboard (been around since day one and still floating around nightly on Khyber). I saw the game being played at his house and was really impressed (never played WoW, but was never impressed with the way it "looked"). I didnt have a pc that would play it at the time, but when I did I gave it a shot. Pretty much hooked now (while I have time).

Most people I talk to have never heard of DDO....but they have heard all about WoW. I dont know the answer to that, but I do see it as reality in my area.

C00LBR33Z3
02-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Had been aware of it since the beta release, but my old computer did not have the video processing capibilities to run. When I bought my new computer, I was here with in a week.

Kalari
02-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Well I was looking for an MMO while trying to avoid my overly hyped up WOW loving friends. I used to play mud games and alot of them converted to the graphics style ones. I was also apart of a large PNP group that I had to leave when I moved after having my son so I was really missing D&D. Tried chat and everything for it (which blows ugh even with a good group of gamers). Went on ebay to look up games and seen DDO got it for a decent price to but put it up in my closet. It sat there for a good 3 months before I realized I had it. Went to different MMO's and hated them almost gave up till the game literally bonked me on the head while searching my closet. I installed it waited a looong time for it to finish lol. And now ive been playing almost 2 months in and loving it.

Sometimes it just takes a good bonk on the head to get me to realize a good thing ^_^

JaeBeam
02-22-2008, 11:08 AM
I played EQ for a looong time. Tried AC2, and really thought that Turbine put out a great product. Unfortionately, server populations were so low that the game wasn't playable, and stopped.

I play PnP DD3.5, and when I saw Turbine's name attatched to the game, I knew I'd eventually give it a shot. I started Jan/2008 after giving the 10 day trial a test drive.

So far, so good. I'm glad I waited a few years before starting, I don't think I'll have content complaints that some of the beta types seem to have.

I do miss EQ, but DDO is a close second.

FTosca
02-22-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm a LoTR player and have pretty much maxed out my characters there. I love LoTR and plan on staying--fantastic game. I love my kin and I love the game---but lately things have become a tad big stagnent. I've heard quite a bit about DDO in the past but it was always fairly negative---it's not a game that appeals to everyone. Lately, our kin board in LoTRs has been quite active with other games people are playing. DDO has been a big topic of discussion. Then on the LoTR forums, there has been quite a bit of discussion about how games need more depth in terms of customizing your avatar. Again, DDO came up as an example of a robust and very interesting way to truly create a unique avatar. After all of the DDO references, I've been sitting on the fence about actually trying it.

Now I downloaded it and am on the 10 day trial. I'm really enjoying it but it is certainly different. I'm also on quite a steep learning curve but I absolutely love it---need new challenges.

Osco
02-22-2008, 08:36 PM

Was in beta, became disenchanted with the lack of content and Troop telling us that it was intended that we run every mission multiple times in order to rank up, so didn't pick it up on release.

Been thinking about how much I missed my sneaky, tumbling halfling rogue after burning out on WoW and almost burning out on CoH, so when the Penny Arcade guys made fun of the recent video, and mentioned that the game had gotten a lot better (TWO years now? Holy ****, would have sworn it's only been six months since beta) I seriously started thinking about it and started reading the boards.

When I stopped by a CompUSA that was closing, looking for a replacement headset for the one I rolled my desk chair over, I saw the game on sale for $7.19. I figured "Hell, 30 days for the price of a Biggie-size Value meal? Why the heck not?"

So, here I am!

Just rolled up a halfling rogue, did the tutorial and found out as I was started the dockside quests that they took the gate down! I've totally forgotten which skills and feats to take, so I'm going to save my APs until I hit level 2 and go back to the docks and do the Goodlight(?) quests before tackling those dang robot dogs in the Miller's house.

(Are you still forced to kill the robot dogs to get the gate to raise? That was a major bummer, stealthing to the gate and not being able to get to the goodies.)

Emperor_Septim
02-25-2008, 11:54 AM
I started with Dragonrealms. Played some UO. AO for awhile, and then alot of WOW. I also fooled around with many other MMO's but I didnt play them long enough to even mention. After getting burned out on WOW I looked around in desperation for a new MMO. I went to MMORPG.com and just went through their entire MMO list looking for something interesting :P I stumbled across DDO. I always liked Turbine, thought LOTRO was decent and enjoyed playing the D&D RPG's on my PC and reading the books when I was younger so I thought I would give it a try. And here I am.

PirateRose
03-04-2008, 10:25 AM
My hubby has been playing since beta. I've tried it here and there, but I had never gotten further than Wavercrest. I'm VERY casual gamer at best (I think can think of only two or three games I've actually beaten - Kingdom Hearts being one of them). We did try CoH for a while (I loved the costuming) but we didn't stick to it.

One afternoon a couple weekends ago hubby wasn't playing and I decided what the heck and rolled a character (Granuaile Koppercorn on Ghan) I was hooked and now Granuaile is a lvl 3 ranger (soloed the entire time). But now I wanted more play time and the one account/one pc (I have a mac) wasn't cutting it, so hubby dragged out and dusted off his old pc and we broke down and got a second account last night! Woo hoo! So last night rolled a new character on the new account (Gitta Koppercorn another ranger who has an intial splash of rogue - on Argo). And hubby's going to roll a new character (probably Sorc/cleric) and I get to bother him online!

Hubby's old computer had DDO on it already but the mod patches had to be updated - we had a little problem logging in last night on the old computer - but I'm sure hubby will figure it out!

Heladron
03-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Friend told me he had a beta key and that he wasn't going to use it so he gave it to me. There were only two days or so left before beta servers went down, but once I played I knew I wanted to stay.

I was notified that head start was going to be coming out so I ordered the head start as well and have been playing ever since.

So word of mouth.

Extar
03-05-2008, 01:49 PM
I been playing MMOrpg's since they were invented. You name it I probably played it. I got tired of the sameness of them and gave up trying to find a good one. I knew about this game for quite a while and one day decided what the heck. So here I am and so far I like it.

I used to play PNP way back but did not like the rule changes. ( I guess I am one of the few that actually liked THACO :) )

So far I have tried a Bard, Sorc, fighter and pally. When I decide on the class I like I will then go looking for a guild.

Davorn
03-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Word of mouth. Friend I play LOTRO with said they had a 10 day free trial. So I gave it a shot. Pretty good game, though I still play LOTRO more. I was interested in the game when it first came out. But I was deployed to the Middle East at the time. So I waited till I got home, talked to a few friends that tried it, they didn't care for it. So I gave up on it until I heard it had improved.

tangleshark
03-12-2008, 03:24 PM
I five-fingered the promotional copy of DDO from my cousin's NWN2 box when he wasn't looking.

I turned my ankle pretty good a few weeks ago playing basketball and my cousin lent me a few games during the downtime. I was interested by the Neverwinter2 game (I remember liking D&D when I was younger), but it game played really poorly on the computer. My ankle's pretty good now, but I think I'll keep playing DDO a little longer.

Gaermain
03-22-2008, 11:54 AM
I was an EQ, then EQ2 player. In the fall of 2005 I did a job change/cross country move so the game went to the back burner. My moderately significant other was chomping at the bit for DDO to come out (what a geek, eh?).

For the first couple of days I sat in the background and taunted. Then I snuck the guest pass.

Still here - both of us.

=)

Fleeta
05-05-2008, 10:51 PM
and thought it might be neat to play again but online seemed the way to go. I am lost though being a newbie and using the free trial. I don't even know where to begin.