PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Knight

Jundak
08-25-2007, 04:16 PM
First attempt at something like this, so I'll need quite a bit of feedback before I try to put this build into practice.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 2.70
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)
Level 14 Lawful Good Elf Male
(4 Paladin \ 10 Sorcerer)
Hit Points: 145
Spell Points: 1003
BAB: 9\9\14
Fortitude: 14
Reflex: 11
Will: 15
Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 14)
Strength 16 18
Dexterity 12 12
Constitution 12 12
Intelligence 8 8
Wisdom 12 12
Charisma 16 20
Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 14)
Balance 1 1
Bluff 3 5
Concentration 5 18
Diplomacy 3 5
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 3 5
Heal 1 1
Hide 1 1
Intimidate 3 5
Jump 3 4
Listen 1 3
Move Silently 1 1
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 -1
Search -1 1
Spot 1 3
Swim 3 4
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Paladin)
Skill: Concentration (+4)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness
Enhancement: Paladin Armor Class Boost I
Enhancement: Elf Melee Damage I
Enhancement: Paladin Toughness I
Level 2 (Sorcerer)
Skill: Concentration (+1)
Spell (1): Nightshield
Spell (1): Hypnotism
Enhancement: Follower of the Sovereign Host
Enhancement: Elven Arcane Fluidity I
Level 3 (Sorcerer)
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Spell (1): Ray of Enfeeblement
Enhancement: Sorcerer Energy of the Dragonblooded I
Enhancement: Sorcerer Charisma I
Level 4 (Paladin)
Ability Raise: STR
Enhancement: Elf Melee Attack I
Level 5 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good I
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands I
Level 6 (Sorcerer)
Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell
Spell (1): Jump
Enhancement: Elven Arcane Fluidity II
Level 7 (Paladin)
Spell (1): Bless
Spell (1): Cure Light Wounds
Spell (1): Divine Favor
Spell (1): Lesser Restoration
Spell (1): Protection From Evil
Spell (1): Resistance
Spell (1): Virtue
Enhancement: Paladin Armor Class Boost II
Enhancement: Paladin Toughness II
Level 8 (Sorcerer)
Ability Raise: CHA
Spell (2): Blur
Level 9 (Sorcerer)
Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness
Spell (2): Scorching Ray
Enhancement: Sorcerer Energy of the Dragonblooded II
Level 10 (Sorcerer)
Spell (3): Haste
Enhancement: Sorcerer Charisma II
Enhancement: Elven Arcane Fluidity III
Level 11 (Sorcerer)
Spell (3): Rage
Spell (2): Resist Energy
Enhancement: Elf Melee Attack II
Level 12 (Sorcerer)
Ability Raise: STR
Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell
Spell (4): Enervation
Enhancement: Sorcerer Improved Maximize I
Enhancement: Sorcerer Improved Maximize II
Level 13 (Sorcerer)
Spell (2): Melf's Acid Arrow
Spell (3): Sleet Storm
Spell (4): Fire Shield
Enhancement: Sorcerer Energy of the Dragonblooded III
Level 14 (Sorcerer)
Spell (5): Cloudkill
Enhancement: Sorcerer Charisma III

Attack Bonus:

9 BAB
7 24 Str (+6 Str Item)
1 Soveriegn Host
2 Elf Attack II
1 Weapon Focus: Slash
1 Rage
1 Divine Favor
4 G. Heroism
5 +5 Longsword

= +31/+31/+36 at level 14, Buffed

+5 Divine Power clickie

= +36/+36/+41

Armor Class:

10 Base
16 +5 Mithral FP/Kundarak Delving Suit
7 +7 Mithral Heavy Shield
2 Paladin Aura
2 Chaosguarde
2/3/5 Invaders Ring/Seal of Earth/Ranger Barkskin
3 Chattering Ring

= 42/43/45 AC

ASF:

25% Mithral FP
5% Mithral Shield
-10% Elven Arcane Fluidity
-10% Seven-fingered Gloves

= 10% Total ASF

Any feedback would be highly appreciated...especially on my spell selection. I want this build to be a mainline fighter, with the option to do some damage through spellslinging. Most of the spells that I've selected in this build so far, were based on a whim and nothing really concrete.

Borror0
08-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Hey Jundak!

I guess you went 4 paladin paladin because of Divine Favor? If so, you migth want to take into consideration that doing so cuts you from takin lv 6 spell like Greater Hero and Tenser.

You might also value Paladins's immunities, but honestly, they are over rated. With saves like this (c'mon 15 Will before items!!), you won't fail you saves often! ;)

As for spells, you'd might want to take Displacement instead of Sleet Storm (why are you taking this anyway?). Laslty, I think you'll miss Tenser's.

binnsr
08-25-2007, 06:01 PM
ASF:

25% Mithral FP
5% Mithral Shield
-10% Elven Arcane Fluidity
-10% Seven-fingered Gloves

= 10% Total ASF
I think you'll end up frustrated with even a 10% ASF if you're casting frequently.
.. So my suggestion is that you go with Twilight Mithril FP; you'll (probably) sacrifice a couple of points of AC and make up for the ASF. Also, as far as I know, however, there's no way to mitigate the ASF from a shield -- your enhancements won't decrease it and neither will the 7-fingered gloves. Therefore, I would also recommend switching your Heavy Mithril Shield for a Light Mithril Shield (another 1AC drop)..

Regarding AC - to fill the max dex on the KDS, you'll need a +6 item, elven dex I and a +3 tome if you start at a 12. The KDS has an ASF of 20% over the 25% of the Mithril FP. Alternatively, if you shoot for a +5 mithril breastplate, you'll have a 15% base ASF (+5 more for a heavy mithril shield) - then with 1 rank of elven arcane fluidity (or whatever its called) and the 7-fingered gloves, you'll be at 0% (other than the shield, of course). That would only cost you 1AC over trying to find a set of good twilight mithril full plate and give you 10 action points back. Going this route will also make you less frustrated than trying to keep it down while you loot run the titan for those stupid gloves :)

edit: my bottom line is go for a mithril breastplate - easier to hit its max dex with those stats, and probably easier to find.. and nets you less ASF to work off.

Jundak
08-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Actually, getting the Divine Favor spell is just a bonus...I took the fourth level of Paladin for Pally Toughness II (+10 hp), +1 BAB, and a +1 Fort save.

If I went with only three levels of Pally and took 11 levels of Sorc, I still wouldn't get lvl 6 spells...I'd have to drop down to a 2/12 in order to get G. Heroism, and I think Tenser's is a lvl 7 spell. Regardless, I'll be able to scroll cast them since a caster level check will be easily hit by level 10 to 14.

As for my choice for Ice Storm over Displacement...well, Blur just simply lasts longer. And I was thinking of many scenarios where this build could fight in the middle of his own Sleet Storm/Cloudkill combo. I'm not sure if that's been tried yet, but I think it would be an interesting experiment.

And, yeah...a +15 Will save is pretty nice. Which will allow me to shrug off the need to toss on Wis items and/or Resistance items. Frees up a few equipment slots for other things. :)

Jundak
08-25-2007, 06:19 PM
I think you'll end up frustrated with even a 10% ASF if you're casting frequently.
.. So my suggestion is that you go with Twilight Mithril FP; you'll (probably) sacrifice a couple of points of AC and make up for the ASF. Also, as far as I know, however, there's no way to mitigate the ASF from a shield -- your enhancements won't decrease it and neither will the 7-fingered gloves. Therefore, I would also recommend switching your Heavy Mithril Shield for a Light Mithril Shield (another 1AC drop)..

Regarding AC - to fill the max dex on the KDS, you'll need a +6 item, elven dex I and a +3 tome if you start at a 12. The KDS has an ASF of 20% over the 25% of the Mithril FP. Alternatively, if you shoot for a +5 mithril breastplate, you'll have a 15% base ASF (+5 more for a heavy mithril shield) - then with 1 rank of elven arcane fluidity (or whatever its called) and the 7-fingered gloves, you'll be at 0% (other than the shield, of course). That would only cost you 1AC over trying to find a set of good twilight mithril full plate and give you 10 action points back. Going this route will also make you less frustrated than trying to keep it down while you loot run the titan for those stupid gloves :)

edit: my bottom line is go for a mithril breastplate - easier to hit its max dex with those stats, and probably easier to find.. and nets you less ASF to work off.

Yep...I'm currently running a fully armored (Mith FP) Warchanting Battlebard with a 42 AC and 30% ASF. Fortunately, spells like Blur and Otto's Dance Party (:p ) don't have somantic components, so there's no ASF rolled. My spells succeed often enough with that build to satisfy me...except for my damned cure spells. I seem to roll between 10 and 15% every single bloody time I actually need them!!! :(

I am, of course, looking for both types of armor that you described: Twilight Mithral and Mithral Breast Plate. Unfortunately, they seem to be either: A. Extremely Rare or B. Horded by those that find them.

binnsr
08-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Yep...I'm currently running a fully armored (Mith FP) Warchanting Battlebard with a 42 AC and 30% ASF. Fortunately, spells like Blur and Otto's Dance Party (:p ) don't have somantic components, so there's no ASF rolled. My spells succeed often enough with that build to satisfy me...except for my damned cure spells. I seem to roll between 10 and 15% every single bloody time I actually need them!!! :(

I am, of course, looking for both types of armor that you described: Twilight Mithral and Mithral Breast Plate. Unfortunately, they seem to be either: A. Extremely Rare or B. Horded by those that find them.

I have both +4 mithril chain and +4 mithril bp sitting in a bank if you want either of those in the interim..

Jundak
08-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Hehe...

Thanks, Bro. You might as well keep them right now...this is a long term project. I'm still trying to perfect Taldyn right now, so he's my main concern. This will be my next project once my Battlebard is up to speed. :)

Borror0
08-25-2007, 10:13 PM
If I went with only three levels of Pally and took 11 levels of Sorc, I still wouldn't get lvl 6 spells...I'd have to drop down to a 2/12 in order to get G. Heroism, and I think Tenser's is a lvl 7 spell. Regardless, I'll be able to scroll cast them since a caster level check will be easily hit by level 10 to 14.

Why don't you got for 12/2, honestly, paladin 3rd level IS overrated. How often will you get disease/fear with +15 save before items, answer: on a 1. I have a 12 figther/2 paladin and so rarely get feared/diseased that I'm happy of my choice. I'm just letting you know that. Also, by going 10/4, you'll only get your lv 9 spells at epic levels.

binnsr
08-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Why don't you got for 12/2, honestly, paladin 3rd level IS overrated. How often will you get disease/fear with +15 save before items, answer: on a 1. I have a 12 figther/2 paladin and so rarely get feared/diseased that I'm happy of my choice. I'm just letting you know that. Also, by going 10/4, you'll only get your lv 9 spells at epic levels.
In the same vein .. by going 12/2, you'll be casting your own GH which gives you the same effect

Borror0
08-26-2007, 09:45 AM
In the same vein .. by going 12/2, you'll be casting your own GH which gives you the same effect

And you'll get Tenser and True Seeing at the next cap. (And a lv 7 spell of your choice)

Jundak
08-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Hmmm...let me crunch some numbers and get back to ya.

My style of gameplay involves hitting something hard, so I want to make sure that I don't lose anything in melee combat before I make changes like that.

As for Disease/Fear Immunity...I don't think it's over-rated in the least. Exact opposite, actually. Besides, Disease Immunity by itself would save me money on wands, potions, and a item slot. Can't always count on a Cleric/Pally to heal your arse...it's best to be self-sufficient, imo.

~Zornochio
08-26-2007, 03:41 PM
You can get a 2nd Lay-on-hands with 3 pally levels too.

narizue
08-27-2007, 08:47 PM

The Skyvault Shield (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/CJGMURPG/DDOitems/SkyvaultShield.jpg) from gianthold tor provides the same AC as a light mithril shield +5, with a better DR. It might be an option. I would also suggest gearing towards a MBP or MCS. I know that ASF will drive you nuts Jun. Zero ASF will be much more palatable.