PDA

View Full Version : Through with ... that other MMO. Hello DDO!

Senex
08-24-2007, 02:40 PM
I have been hearing in several forums that a lot had changed and the game play was what they expected around here ~ So, after having been able to help test and participate in the DDO beta, I figued why not give it another shot. Needless to say I have no regrets! In fact, I cancelled my WoW and LineageII accounts this morning.

I rolled on Ghall as a Dwarf Barb, so anyone willing to share their experiences with this class and play style, or simply offer me some general do's and dont's coming into the game so late are greatly appreciated!

Not wanting nor interested in a DDO vs WoW here. To each his own :)

Quanefel
08-24-2007, 02:42 PM
I have been hearing in several forums that a lot had changed and the game play was what they expected around here ~ So, after having been able to help test and participate in the DDO beta, I figued why not give it another shot. Needless to say I have no regrets! In fact, I cancelled my WoW and LineageII accounts this morning.

I rolled on Ghall as a Dwarf Barb, so anyone willing to share their experiences with this class and play style, or simply offer me some general do's and dont's coming into the game so late are greatly appreciated!

What server?

dragnmoon
08-24-2007, 03:28 PM
What server?

LOL.... first thought that came to my head was that you want to know what server he was on on WoW... so you can ask..

"Can I have your Stuff?"

:D

ErgonomicCat
08-24-2007, 03:45 PM

I'm in the same spot as you - I played DDO during beta, made some suggestions, and didn't see them implemented, so I chalked it up as a good test, and moved on.

Last month, I ended my PnP campaign, and decided I needed something to fill the time. WoW was boring me (played that since 1st beta), so I did the trial.

Then I bought three copies and three subs (me, my wife, my daughter).

It's definitely better! I'm on ghall too - I've found a couple nice guilds, but I'll put you on my friends list so we can figure out how to play together some time. ;)

ErgonomicCat
08-24-2007, 03:47 PM
LOL.... first thought that came to my head was that you want to know what server he was on on WoW... so you can ask..

"Can I have your Stuff?"

:D

Oh, and I can have your stuff?

DaveyCrockett
08-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Take the Toughness feat at least one time (and enhance it with Dwarven Toughness IV and Barbarian Toughness IV Enhancements). Thank me later.

(That's 116 additional hitpoints)

The_Silver_Griffon
08-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Always use Diplomacy on chests.

Note that this also works on hot chicks wearing pink sweaters.

Disclaimer: Diplomacy does not actually work on chests. At least not the ones in DDO...

Dariuss
08-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Yes, I've found most hot chicks are impressed by anything that involves rolling a multi-sided die.

The_Silver_Griffon
08-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Yes, I've found most hot chicks are impressed by anything that involves rolling a multi-sided die.

Especially when you compliment their Charisma modifier.

Casta
08-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Take the Toughness feat at least one time (and enhance it with Dwarven Toughness IV and Barbarian Toughness IV Enhancements). Thank me later.

(That's 116 additional hitpoints)

Never take toughness on a barb. You should end up with close to 400 hp without it, you don't need more then that ever. Barbs have to many other things to spend feats and enhancments on, I coulden't get everything I want without wasting all the points in toughness.

Senex
08-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks a lot for the suggestions and warm welcome. Keep them coming, please!

:snicker snort: No, you can't have my stuff. I passed my war and mage to a good friend/guildmate so they could continue to get use out the epics they helped me obtain, that and a well geared/knowledgable tank are harder and harder to come by. Regardless, wooowooo DDO!

Senex
08-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Disclaimer: Diplomacy does not actually work on chests. At least not the ones in DDO...

Got me so good, that I was in game trying to figure out how to place diplomacy on my action bar so I could utilize it. Then I caught your disclaimer.

Oh man, never thought I'd literally think to myself, "you newbie!"

JelloMold
08-24-2007, 06:24 PM
Welcome to Ghallanda both of you! I think you'll find it a great place to play. We seem to have a nice mix of laid back/causal types, roleplayers, and powergamer types. There are several great guilds out there and the server is quite PUG friendly as well. If you ever see me on, I'd love to run with you and help you get adjusted.

See you in town.

Lifetakers and Heartbreakers Guild
Marge Inoverra: ranger6/wizard5
Hammond Eggs: ranger10
InstantKarma: paladin4
GooglyMoogly the Great: wizard4
Anita Bath: ranger3
ZiggyStardus T: bard2

stickfigurehero
08-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Another noob here. Im a long time pen&paper D&D fan (played NWN..but only a bit) also shaking off WOW to give this a shot. I was in the beta way back when but I figured I would take another look a DDO and see if I can get into it.

See ya in game when this DL finishes :D

Symar-FangofLloth
08-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Welcome, and other forms of salutation!
As a note of warning, you will find your fair share of loot-runners, power-gamers, and whatnot in this game as well. Just ask them to take it slow with you at least the first couple times through quests- most will oblige happily (or at least oblige grudgingly). Just... don't expect an exact literal rendition of everything D&D. It can't be done. So many people expect the impossible and complain when they don't have it. That said, it is a very fun game and does stick pretty close to the rules when and wherever it can.
Have fun, enjoy, and if you're ever on Thelanis I'd be glad to help you out.

stickfigurehero
08-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Sweet sounds good. Yeah im expecting a decent amount of hardcore power gaming types but they exist in every MMO these days. I may take you up on your offer of assistance if I am totally lost.

Anyway its almost done patching (finally) so time to make my monk/shadowdancer......wait.....nevermind....

Symar-FangofLloth
08-25-2007, 09:39 PM
monk/shadowdancer
Monks are in the works.... somewhere.
Advice for a newbie to the game is to play as a human or dwarf fighter until you get the feel for the game, then make whatever. I started as a human rogue- still have the character, although it's not the greatest, and now I realize rogue is a bad choice for beginners.
And the closest to PrCs we have right now are a few enhancements for rogues and bards, although clerics and paladins have some fun customization too (albeit semi-racial based). The devs have said they'd like to add more specialization enhancements, and I'm looking forward to them.

Hvymetal
08-26-2007, 03:33 AM
Just want to say welcome back to all of you and may the loot gods smile down upon you:)

hannika
08-26-2007, 09:47 AM
newbies on ghallanda i'm generally always running a low lvl toon these days (i have a 3, 7, and 9) (bard, sorc, bard) feel free to look me up, i'm a powergamer but generally have a soft spot for the new players that need the help. that mothering instinct i'm trying to surpress i guess. :) my little toons are atallia, adallia, allesa.