PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Damange and kill counts

shoebox747
08-24-2007, 05:19 AM
i was reading a previous thread about ranged damange and people were agrueing that even if manyshot was active full time it wouldnt be worth anything at the kill count or anything. Now i know that thread was recent but after a while when it gets to long it loses its point and i wanted to restart it. Becasue as a ranger i started out using bows never thought i would ever pick up a meele weapon till i started gettting declined from groups and i had to change my char to a fighter and only use my bows sometimes which annoyed me. See instead of duel weiding vorpals disruptors smiters and stuff which i dont have i would rather have manyshot active all the time with a greater bane bow. I have a greater elemental bow and when i put manyshot they die very quickly but that just aint good enough to use every 2min for 20sec i have a greater bane bow for almost every type of emeny besides a few and i love useing em but i have to now just get meele casue ranger bows are worthless. I love my ranger, being a ranger has always been my fav type of char but it seems they are becoming absolete or being over looked and fighters and casters keep gettting better and better weapons spells and stuff the ranger gets lower and lower

Glenalth
08-24-2007, 06:49 AM
Effective ranging with a high-level ranger is an exercise in geometry...

It's nice to have the tank run around a corner in Twilight Forge and see a row of 10 ogres all paralyzed and standing on their podiums as you shoot every one of them at once.

There is still a big gap between melee damage and ranged damage, but you can make up for it.

Shaamis
08-24-2007, 07:37 AM
A ranger is much more performance dependant on his/her weapons, than a fighter, but if you find the right bows, you can be an awesome ranger.

Dont forget, rangers are more about a balanced party member, than a killing machine.

Rangers scout, back up heal, back up evade, and back up fight.

Fighters......just fight. and drink potions. and intimidate enemies into, well, fighting. and then they drink more potions.

Do not mentally limit your ranger into the role of a fighter, they are so much more.

I have a +2 Holy burst Comp. longbow of pure good, and when I use flaming arrows, use multi-shot (lvl 14 ranger) and hit the back member of a charging mob, I see so many red numbers, I can't possibly count how much damage I am doing.

Rangers are awesome.

~Clo
08-24-2007, 08:03 AM
Rangers do not equate to ranged weapons. Sure they are better than any other classes with the bow but in hand to hand they will out kill a paladin a few levels higher than they are and usually have a better armor class. The real trick with a ranger is to know when to shoot and when to swing.

A ranger who just uses a bow with auto-attack on is a party wipe waiting to happen. Walk around a corner, target a monster, and pull the whole mob in before the rest of the party even knows they are there. On the other hand a ranger who knows what they are doing can save the party with heals, barkskin, resists, protections, and most of all fighting skill.

I love my rangers. One is a duel weilding wounder that will remove constitution from an enemy so fast it doesn't know what hit it. That usually results in a fighter walking up and one hitting it and taking all the credit. On the other hand when you have enemies up high where the fighters can't touch them, you can take them out in a couple of shots, while a fighter will stand there for 30 minutes with their bow or thrown weapon playing battle mage. Miss, miss, miss......

Jaysensen
08-24-2007, 01:24 PM
A ranger is much more performance dependant on his/her weapons, than a fighter, but if you find the right bows, you can be an awesome ranger.

Dont forget, rangers are more about a balanced party member, than a killing machine.

My Rangers are killing machines... but it is because I TWF 95% of the time. And I hate that fact.

Shaamus makes a great point about bows... If you dont have rare-mod bows, you basically suck. You dont need rare-mod melee weapons to not suck.

I started a discussion in the Ranger forums. Check it out.

Mookie_Mashfoot
08-24-2007, 01:31 PM
My dog had 'damange' once, it took awhile to get rid of it...:p

But, yeah, I love playing my ranger. Like mtmouse3 said, when I use my burst bow of pure good along with some acid arrows or bane arrows I do some pretty good damage. Sure it's still not on par with melee, but it's close, I'm sure range will get a boost at some point.