PDA

View Full Version : One more feat for a TWF spellsinger

geezee
08-23-2007, 08:45 AM
I havent decided on the level 6 feat for my latest reroll:
"Geezer" - Drow Bard (pure)
STR 14 DEX 16 CON 12 INT 10 WIS 8 CHA 18

DEX tome before lvl 9 (assuming the inter-server character transfer ever happens)
All level ups into CHA

Other feats: TWF, mental toughness, improved TWF, improved crit: pierce

All in all a very powerful and versatile build. By end game, he should be able to do everything except disable traps and DV. He will have powerful buffs, be able to cc, melee effectively for DPS/stat damage/max effect with TWF, heal, or even stand back and range.

I am considering power attack, improved MT, SF: enchant, skill focus: UMD
Please discuss the advantages/disadvantages of any of these (or other) feats for this build, as I am still trying to decide what will be the best fit.
Thanks for the input.

juniorpfactors
08-23-2007, 09:30 AM
at lvl 6 I always took extend...no need before that.....sf UMD is solid..for heal scrolling...but my current is a 2nd str based so i displace extended and power attack....your str is very low for using power attack so i would scratch that and go with umd or twf

Freeman
08-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Extend and SF:UMD are probably your two best options, and I think I would pick Extend between the two.

juniorpfactors
08-23-2007, 09:55 AM
thats why i went human extra feat at creation, then 1 splash fighter for another feat... i see no benefit of making a drow if you char isnt 20..go human and you will be glad you did

umd at creation, and toughness with the fighter lvl..drop your intel to 10 or 9(eat a tome) increase str+++++

geezee
08-23-2007, 10:22 AM
I overlooked extend because of the upcoming changes. It seems extend will be less useful for bards than for other pure casting classes. The number of spells I would extend is pretty small, and the amount of mana I would save is pretty much cancelled out by the times I forget to turn it off for offensive spells or the extra micro required to remember to do so.

I would probably only use extend for blur and GH. And since I like the idea of using a planar gird, mind fog, and mass suggestion, I wonder what I need extend for? Haste, rage, and displacement in really long battles maybe. The new rules will make extend all but useless for level 1 spells.

As far as STR being low for power attack, this toon's self-buffed attack roll will be comparable to a pure fighter's. Probably 30/25 with PA off/on. This is with bard +7/+5 song, focusing chant, haste, and 2 ranks in Drow attack. Not the greatest attack roll, but enough to make power attack useful in a number of situations. Could throw in a DP clicky if needed.

Good comments so far.

geezee
08-23-2007, 10:27 AM
Drow has the best stats for a TWF/cc bard. High DEX and CHA plus rapier/ shortsword enhancements. 18 starting CHA is an acceptable compromise. Almost as good as my pure cc bard, but with much better melee. The human wouldnt have enough points if he started 18 CHA.

I dont consider the extra feat on this character to be worth splashing fighter. I would hate to cost myself spells/enhancements when they raise the cap for a feat I dont really need. I cant even decide which feat to take as it is.

My INT is 10...cant lower it on a Drow!

EinarMal
08-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Drow has the best stats for a TWF bard. High DEX and CHA plus rapier/ shortsword enhancements. 18 starting CHA is an acceptable compromise. Almost as good as my pure cc bard, but with much better melee.

I dont consider the extra feat on this character to be worth splashing fighter. I would hate to cost myself spells/enhancements when they raise the cap for a feat I dont really need. I cant even decide which feat to take as it is.

I definitely agree I think Drow with rapier/shortsword enhancements are the best race as well. It is like three feats double weapon focus plus weapon spec. The dex and cha also make it very nice.

My vote would be for SF UMD or spell focus Enchantment. The winner would depend on play style really. Do you want to scroll Heal and other higher level scrolls without fail or would you be casting enchantment Otto's sphere more often. Sounds more like CC so I would pick SF Enchantment.

A_Sheep
08-23-2007, 11:41 AM
I'd say extend, but only if you plan to turn it on/off between buffing and crowd control.

Even if it is getting 'worse' after the update, it is still a huge savings in SP if you buff alot. All those savings would, of course, be negated if you 'wasted' SP on extended crowd control.

SF: Enchantment would be a good choice, too. I'm not a fan of SF: UMD.

Talengaard
08-23-2007, 07:29 PM
If you are taking the drow dex enhancements, weapon finesse for +2 to hit seems a decent option.