PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Must-have's

Beherit_Baphomar
08-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Ok so what does the average, or above average, cleric need in his backpack?

What should I be carrying around with me? Ive only really played melee (Paladin and Barbarian) to high level so this is the first time on a cleric. He's level 5 atm, its alotta fun but tough going compared to my barb or pally.

If you could, can you make your list as exhaustive as possible. I mean, tell me what I need at level 1 throo 14, wands, weapons, scrolls, potions, robes, etc. He's level five, like I said, and a warforged. He was created for a static guild party, but the leader of the party has had to take extended time off and I was having alotta fun playing him so Id like to keep on levelling him. The way I see him is healbot, but caster oriented. I mean more destructive/crowd controlling kinda cleric, not your average healbot, but not necessarily a battlecleric either. No levels of fighter, pure cleric...I want to get those DC's as high as possible. A Killerhealbotcastertype cleric, if you will.

I have been told by a very, very, very good sorcerer that I should be on the lookout for a potency item, so I acquired one of them. And I assume that I should just keep on upping them every chance I get. And I understand that devotion(?) helps with healing(?) but what should I look for?

What else would you guys recommend?

Oh and thank you in advance.

Syrbryce
08-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Heh Bee, you are branching out aren't ya?

Well from my minimal experience clericing and talking to clerics. Here's some stuff to look for:
1) Fearsome Full Plate - you can find this at AH round lvl 6
2) Regular High Plus Full Plate and Shield - for those undead quests
3) Devotion Item - higher the better, a good mid level one is Helm of the Flame from SC - the invaders token mace is something worth getting around 10-11ish? I think
4) Pearls of Power or Gemstone in trinket slot - Gemstone from TR is 50 sps
5) Decent elemental pure good heavy mace for when you do have to hit stuff sometimes
6) Wisdom Item - duh!
7) Charisma Item - helps with dv's/turns and such
8) 16 Cure Serious Wands at Lvl 5! - went through Delera's on elite and burned that many lol
9) Scrolls of Mass Sheild of Faith and Aid - saves ya a little sp in the mid levels
10) Res and heal scrolls at the higher levels
11) Lesser Restore wands, Bullstrength wands, other crappy wands at low levels
12) Good striders - for collecting stones and running away
13) Poison Immunity item, disease immunity item, blah, blah, blah
14) Grease Clickie! - everyone luvs a cleric with a sense of humor!

Others may contibute more than this cause my brain is mush....:eek:

PurdueDave
08-23-2007, 09:29 AM
IMX, the necessary stuff specific to cleric would be...

WIS item
devotion/potency VI (the more the better but I'd take improved VI over superior V becaue of the heal spell)
heal scrolls (I'm not saying to kill your plat by scroll healing but they're great to have around regardless)
rez scrolls
restoration scrolls (these are very handy and pretty cheap)
wands for all your debuff/state clearing spells (someone will always forget potions and they can replace the pots in your own inventory)
cure wands (whatever your comfortable with)

Other than that it's things most everyone wants (fortification, immunites, striders, etc.)

I probably forgot something.

Karethon
08-23-2007, 09:50 AM
3) Devotion Item - higher the better, a good mid level one is Helm of the Flame from SC - the invaders token mace is something worth getting around 10-11ish? I think
5) Decent elemental pure good heavy mace for when you do have to hit stuff sometimes
13) Poison Immunity item, disease immunity item, blah, blah, blah

Very, good list, but I wanted to comment on these few.

1) Since he's a warforged, it will have to be a docent. If he did not take a body feat, this is even more important. Good Moderate Fortification and Deathblock docents would be something to keep a lookout for, as well.
3) Devotion or Potency, the best you can get, as others said. With the described build, Potency is probably the item of choice since it benefits more than just healing. And the invaders scepter is ML 12, just as an FYI. It is nice, though for the healing lore that it carries.
5) I went with a ghost touch pure good mace for my cleric as my primary weapon. It's a nice generic that does damage to just about anything. I still carry a muckbane and an adamantine mace, for those times when I need them.
12) Just wanted to second this. Nothing worse than trying to heal if everyone keeps running out of range...except maybe not being able to run away from whatever pasted the rest of the party...
13) As a warforged, he can disregard most of this one (immune to poison and disease). Blindness ward would be a good thing, and can typically be found on goggles or rings.

The only thing I would add, is be sure you carry plenty of repair potions (unless you have an arcane that is willing to help with it), and you might want to be sure you get most of Healer's Friend enhancements. I have a WF fighting cleric in semi-retirement, and it seemed that I spent more mana and time healing myself than I did anyone else.

moops
08-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Argh, there was an awesome thread on this that disappeared.

Both my Clerics are offensive casters Level 14

1- Heavy Fort Belt ( In Wiz King switched out For Disease Immune of Mod Fort)
2- Spirit Site Goggles
3- Blue Dragon Scale Armor - ( Spell Pen 7, greater Lightning Resist)
4- Superior Potency 6 Club
5- Superior Void Lore Club
6- Abjuration Focus Club ( Since this is my least used line, I don't use the bracers)
7- Healing Septre from Invaders ( though one might use the Reaver Gloves-I switch back and forth as sometimes I need to wear Dex or Str gloves, the crit does stack)
8- Chaosguarde - I like to be able to take a beating
9- + 10 Concentration ring
Raid Loot
1- Seal of the Earth Ring = +3 Ac and 3x stoneskin
2-Dragon Helm - +6 Wis (though one can find +6 items on the AH now)
3- Dreamspitter--I love to cast hold and hit things, and running with caster who use flesh to stone.
4- Napkin ( I don't have this yet, I always defer to all the casters in the group-

Zenako
08-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Devotion Items of comparable power and effect to Potency will be lower ML to use.

You can also go the Weapon of Power/Magi route for mana boosts if you can be diligent enough to equip the weapon before the quest and at each shrine. I usually find I can effectively cast those bonus spell points as buffs before setting off and then swap to either a melee weapon or a devotion weapon.

Divine Healing is a nice boost for healing ability (and it works full effect on WF, albeit you cannot cast it on yourself...sigh).

I personally favor Heavy Fort on my armor for my cleric, leaving the other locations more free for quick swaps if needed.

Jaysensen
08-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Carry a Spell Pen item of some sort.

If you dont use Spirit Sight Goggles, look for Titan visor. Its Concentration on a slot that it normally cannot generate - goggles slot.

The best piece of Raid Loot for a Cleric is the Queen Torc - Neck slot. It isnt funny how good this item is.

Because you are a Wf, look for stuff with Light Fort built in and you can add up to Heavy without wasting an item slot.

Moops: how do you have POP on your back slot? Napkin is a cloak.

moops
08-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Carry a Spell Pen item of some sort.

If you dont use Spirit Sight Goggles, look for Titan visor. Its Concentration on a slot that it normally cannot generate - goggles slot.

The best piece of Raid Loot for a Cleric is the Queen Torc - Neck slot. It isnt funny how good this item is.

Because you are a Wf, look for stuff with Light Fort built in and you can add up to Heavy without wasting an item slot.

Moops: how do you have POP on your back slot? Napkin is a cloak.

Oops, someone told me it was a trinket back when the Raid first came out, and I just believed them lol, I never thought to check it out as I guess I wasn't really all that interested in it. I fixed it.

Sojourner
08-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Some of the gear will be build dependent. A battle cleric is going to have a slightly different list than an offensive caster.

A couple of comments on this list: (my comments are in red)

Well from my minimal experience clericing and talking to clerics. Here's some stuff to look for:
2) Regular High Plus Full Plate and Shield - for those undead quests

I'm also partial to adamantine fullplate or spear/axeblock fullplate.

Sadly, I think the helm from SC is the exact same as the ring from Tangleroot.

If you're a nannybot build or offensive caster build, you may not need more than one mace, for breaking boxes. But, you may want weapons for offensive spells (more comment on that below)

7) Charisma Item - helps with dv's/turns and such

Another build dependent item. Quite a few clerics don't even bother with the Dx lines. Right now it doesn't help at all, I think it is with Mod5 your turns will be based on current CHR instead of base CHR.

8) 16 Cure Serious Wands at Lvl 5! - went through Delera's on elite and burned that many lol

I would say 1 cure mod wand. Maybe a CSW wand once you get into the upper levels. Probably 3 at the most. If you burn more than 3 wands in a mission, you are somewhere you shouldn't be with other people that shouldn't be their either.

This one is crucial - if you're spending tons of cash on wands and scrolls, you're get screwed by your teammates.

9) Scrolls of Mass Sheild of Faith and Aid - saves ya a little sp in the mid levels
10) Res and heal scrolls at the higher levels
11) Lesser Restore wands, Bullstrength wands, other crappy wands at low levels

For wands I would say one of each - Lesser Restore, Remove Blindness, Resist Poison, (is there a remove curse yet?). These wands are easy enough to pick up, get used rarely enough that they don't cost you a ton of cash, but do save you some SP.

For scrolls - I keep a stack of 30 Heal and Rez scrolls. But, the only place you really should use them is Titan raid and Stormreaver Pre-raid. And even then probably only about 5-6 a run, depending on the team (some teams don't need you to use any, a couple I have burnt through all 30).

Anything more than that and you're either spoiling your party, wasting your money, or both. Sometimes makes runs easier to spoil your party a bit, but definitely not a "cleric must-have".

My rule of thumb - if the party outruns my cleric, they get what the deserve. Probably a nice-to-have, but not a must-have.

Some other items I would add:
* If you are an offensive caster -- Spell Penetration item, Abjuration item, Enchantment item, necromancy item
* Fortification item - heavy if you can slot it in, at least mod if not.
* Protection Items are nice for when you don't have Shield of Faith up
* Feathfall item of course
* Balance items can be critical for certain missions
* A good heal skill item can save you from having to heal people after they've used a shrine

A good endgame gearlist for a melee-based cleric if you raid alot would be:
* Helm - Dragon Helm
* Goggles - Threnal Optics
* Bracers - Steady Handed Armbands - DEX+3/To-Hit+1
* Gloves - Stormreaver Gauntlets
* Boots - Featherfall of Balance, Striding - swap as necessary
* Rings - Heavy Fort & Chattering Ring
* Belt - Titan belt
* Cloak - Stormreaver Cloak
* Necklace - CON+X, DQ necklace would be 2nd choice if CON elsewhere.
* Shield - Stormreaver Shield
* Armor - Black Dragon Fullplate Armor
* Trinket - Battle Coin or possibly Head of Good Fortune (not sure if coin would stack with bracers)

arminius
08-24-2007, 09:05 AM
So far I have found the best armor to be mithril full plate with a mithril shield.

Now woah, there, wouldn't that be a big waste on a cleric?

No. With all or most of the limited number of skill points going into concentration, a cleric is as balanced as a newborn babe and can jump like a heavily salted slug.

Mithrill full plate allows movement based skills to be far, far less penalized. You still ain't going to be Chuck Norris, but at least you won't be Steven Hawking either.

One thing I didn't have confirmed till yesterday was that potency does not stack with devotion (or combustion, etc.). So keep that in mind. I thought I had tested it out that it did, but I came up with a false positive somehow. It makes sense that items don't stack, but for whatever reason I thought potency was different.

_

Eladiun
08-24-2007, 09:41 AM
OK, here's my list... (I'm gonna skip the obvious)

All of the Restorative wands available. (I.E. Neut Poison, Remove Curse/Disease/Blindness/Paralysis, Lesser Restore) Opens up a spell slot and saves spell point. The remove wands last a good long time, too.

Scrolls - I like having a handful of the following, Greater Restore in case someone gets zapped for massive neg levels, Heal, Resurrection, Raise Dead, Break Enchantment... I think that's pretty much all I carry and I don't ever plan on using more than 2 or 3 of each per a run. If I need to spam heal scrolls to keep the party vertical, it's time to find a new party.

Other than a devotion item, a spell penetration item and a heal item the rest is all build dependent. Get a feel for how you like to run and go from there. And don't listen to anyone who tells you you need double digit cure wands to complete a quest.

Impaqt
08-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Offensive Caster Cleric:

Fearsome Robe of Improved False Life
All Elemental Greater resist Robes
100 Heal Scrolls
Invaders Mace
Wands of Remove Blindness, Paralization, Poison, Lessor restor
Stack of Greater Restor Scrolls.
PoPX(dragonEye)

The Greenblade from the queen is nice for the Arcane Lore.. (Critcal Blade barriers are awesome)
Stormreaver Napkin :)
Reaver Gloves

Dorf Melee Cleric:
+5 Ady Full Plate/+5 Mith Tower Sheild
Greater resists on RIngs and Coaks
Rest the same except for Raid Loot.... Berevement is a bad-a$$ Battleaxe :)

Nestorious
08-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Bee,

OK, breaking it down for ya on a WF perspective....

Lower levels,
Grab every wand that u can use at each level and drop the spell to open more slots - remove dis/rem curse/rem blind/etc.... you get it. The more wands you have available for those lil fixes the more slots you can open to play with in your spells.

Think about bumping your Int - as it effects your repair skill as a WF when you shrine. (plus your skill points are VERY limited - remember a cleric sinks like a rock - or your case a WF)

Healer friendly - you wont regret it and you will either save $$ on the pots or stretch your mana a bit.

Fearsome docent (without question) another side is the diplomacy skill, with a good dip you will be amazed at how many things dont mess with ya and you can run right into the middle of the fray for some mass heals (or Blade barriers for that matter)

Dont really sweat the Con/Str/Dex issues - you can make up for these with a +4 bonus simply through Bears endurance/Cats Grace and Bull's str. This will cover you well until u can use +5 stat items

Potency/Devotion Items - mace/sceptre in each hand (these will stack for effect) the higher the better of course.

Offensivley - depends on the spells you will use. On the upper end I run Slay living and Destruction (these require a necromancy area) check your sceptres and such when doin your loot runs, you will become aware that those things dont always go straight to the vendor. Educating yourself as to Metmagics can be a pain to break it all down but its worth the reading as it will open up new ideas for ya on the possible "combat caster" side

Highest fort u can wear/use - answers itself

Use a power/magi Item in your weapon slot (easily switched out after your initial buffs) always think about keeping your slots organised and best utilised.

Figure where ya want to keep your FF item and stick with it, it will turn out in the end to be another switchable item slot (I prefer ring or trink)

*** EXTEND FEAT ** can I say this again? *** EXTEND FEAT ***
stretching your buffs as much as you can - this feat will basically double your durations and cost you less mana in the long run.

Find a good Charisma piece - mod 5 will finally allow you enchanted stats to actually calculate your DV's/Turning

Concentration is a key skill for a cleric - throw what you can in there.

----------------- SIDE NOTE ---------------
Think about taking 1 lvl in sorc (will stack with the fact that you are trying to bump your charisma anyway) to open repair wands for yourself. Higher levels this really wont come into play since you will use heal on a regular basis but its always nice to rip off your metal and throw a DDoor in a tight spot or have offensive wands when you are tapped on mana.

Alot of ppl go the scroll route - to me this is no different than someone wand whipping cures, manage your mana wisely as a cleric and you wont need em much but still keep a stack of about 10-15 of Heals/Cure mass/res and such as backups.

As a cleric you will realise that you will be carrying ALOT of stuff on you, use your inventories wisely. Devote an Inv page just for things you carry as a healer and then maintain it!

ALWAYS let ppl know you take wand donations - I know once you're up there this doesnt matter much to some cause the economy has fallen apart and $$ really isnt worth the metal its pressed on but at the lower levels wands can eat you alive - dont fund your cleric with your other toons, let the party you are in help with the costs.

Troll the cleric builds in the forum threads - lotta good info to be had in there, start with this one ona discussion about empower or not to empower
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=118422

Anything I can ever give ya a hand with or ya scratch your head over, Hit me up in-game under any of my guys, I'll answer whatever I can for ya...

TwoHeals
08-26-2007, 12:06 AM
jump skill item, balance skill item, concentration item; skill items since we clerics don’t get many skill points. Most of these can be found in the auction house for a cheap price.

Heavy fortification item. I find it hilarious to see people that don’t wear a heavy fort item and they don’t understand why they died in two hits or less.

I recommend scrolls or wands of remove fear, remove blindness, lessor restoration, restoration, greater restoration, remove curse, remove disease, neutralize poison, and remove paralysis so you can have those spell slots open for something else.

IMO Try getting scroll versions because if you only have 1 wand of say remove blindness and it breaks then you could be sol. Also be aware that casting scrolls is a little slow but most can be cast in-between fights

Ozoro
08-27-2007, 06:54 AM
What should I be carrying around with me?

Haggis

muffinlad
08-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Haggis

Paul Haggis? The Director? What does a cleric need him for?

muffinebert

PurdueDave
08-27-2007, 03:22 PM
IMO Try getting scroll versions because if you only have 1 wand of say remove blindness and it breaks then you could be sol. Also be aware that casting scrolls is a little slow but most can be cast in-between fights

A lot of scrolls are treated as arcane so you need to remove your armor to have a good shot at casting them. Since they'd be for emergency use only, you'd probably be better off with a stack of potions (or just bum some off a melee guy if your wand breaks).

actaeon
09-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Bah to you healbots!! max, empower, quicken, heighten, toughness (not da mental kind), and a good set of striders to go with some excellent maneuvering skills :P

maxed con and wisdom is all ya need to succeed

pvp ftw!1! muaha

Steam313
09-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Current good gear:

Dragon Raid helm/+6 wiz neck
Black Dragon Scale Armor
Devotion V / Invaders! mace
15% striders of Balance (or better)
Disease Immunity belt of Heavy Fortifaction (helps TONS!)
20-25 CSW Wands
20-25 Raise Dead/Resurrection Scrolls
2 wands of Bull Str/Resto/resist(or Prot) energy
Proof Against Poison item(neck or ring)
Napkin/Kardin's eye/(low lvl) SP trink
Wiz V or better item
a good lowbie Elemental Burst of shattermantle or PG(shattermantle for SR dmg =D to set up for offensive)
besides that.. alot of plat!
and your basic adventuring gear (feather fall item plz?) and mebbe some self pots for Sp conservation

Yvonne_Blacksword
09-11-2007, 06:03 PM
ear plugs, bifoculs and something that makes the area of effect spells less over bearing...

and everything a tank would have minus the martial weapons...and maybe the pots...

And most clerics bring snacks and drinks...

edited~~ oh! I forgot. Excedrine Migrain kept handy.

...what was that other stuff?
components, those stick thingies, the paper roll up thingies...shhh...shhh...honey! Mommy Juin cant give you resists right now, she has a headache from all the other times...