PDA

View Full Version : I Hate OOC

Jazz-Man
08-23-2007, 06:14 AM
I'm still using the 10 Day Free Trial, testing the game out to see if I like it any. Before I moved I was in a regular weekend gaming group for tabletop D&D and it was honestly the most fun I could ever have. Naturally, I was hoping I could get a little of that D&D fix with StormReach.

My first impression was amazing. DDO really is quite the black sheep of MMORPGs for not focussing on hack'n'slash. I love a game that's plot-oriented. The problem is that with MMORPGs, real plot has to come from two sources, the game, and the players' interactions with it.

The point of this post:
While the game mechanics are pretty amazing (despite a few problems, such as no monks, druids, half-orcs or gnomes), I don't think I'd be willing to subscribe to a game if the players I'll be surrounded with are characters named "rofl" or "Deathbringer" or "superbabe" or "hayIwannakillu".

I don't just want to run around accepting quests and trying to survive dungeons on my own because I can't stand net-speak. Level grinding just isn't fun. It's the time spent around others, interacting and appreciating others for their personality as well as their skills that makes the game worthwhile (and worth money).

So please, if any of you know where I can find a group of serious roleplayers who want to enjoy the flavor of the game, please inform me. After all, I only have eight days left to decide whether I want to commit or not.

Thanks,
--Jazz

P.S. It's no surprise DDO went with a pansy Eberron campaign setting. Such a silly place, with your Warforgeds and your flamboyant Drow. Me, I'm a Greyhawk man. Try finding yourself on the run in the Bandit Kingdoms with a pack of Suel on your trail, the Scarlet Brotherhood putting a price on your head, and even Iuz is starting to gain interest in your whereabouts, now THERE'S a real challenge.

tihocan
08-23-2007, 06:55 AM
Find a RP guild. Guild lists here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=117742
We have some on Thelanis :)

blakbyrd
08-23-2007, 08:56 AM
You will have to do some looking to find t he RPers in DDO. It was a bit disheartening to me to when I started playing to find the few bothered to care anything about actually role playing in the game. To this day, I might stumble across someone role playing maybe 1-2 times a month, but I rarely ever see it.

However, I love the game and continue to play because of the people I play with, RP or not. I find myself not even thinking about it anymore and enjoying the game just as much. Keep playing for a bit and make sure the game turns out to be what you like, make sure the people you play with are condusive to your playstyle. If so, play and enjoy. Start a guild of your own and attract the role playing types you want and you can end up with exactly what you wanted to find.

The RPers are here, you just have to find them.

Uska
08-24-2007, 02:11 AM
At least you didnt cry that it's not in the realms.....Greyhawk is dear to my heart but I love Eberron so much more.

Roguewiz
08-24-2007, 09:25 AM
To hell with Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms!

Give me my Krynn!

Dariun
08-24-2007, 09:34 AM

Give me my Krynn!

Meh, everything after Keep on the Borderlands is just new fangled gobbledeegook. Harrumph!

OP: agree with the other advice. Look for one of the self-declared role playing groups. Good luck.

Zenako
08-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Check out the Lightstorm Dragonslyers on Sarlona. They are one of the more prominent RP guilds. There may be some others are well from the others servers involved in the recent merging.

RP is a challenge in this medium. For some, they do not feel comfortable talking in character and want to only type, BUT, limiting your exchanges to just typing can be deadly and make REAL TIME encounters hard to manage. If you end up making a pile of quick macros to hit (for various text strings) to me that also would kill the RP aspects. REAL TIME Role play vs Turn Based Role Play are very different.

I know when using voice communication, that my male voice will go ok with my Male Human Paladin, but is probably not well suited to my Female Cleric and would be a distraction or conflict for some. I have thus tended to only take male characters into RP pugs I have joined with on occasion. I did get a little frustrated because I asked them (Out of Character) how they would like to have the characters interact, and pretty much got a "whatever??" answer. I tried to limit my characters comments to whatever they could see or reasonably anticipate at the time and keep metagame knowledge from entering the quest. It worked, but since most of the characters in the party seemed to want to type more than talk, it was not real successful. To me limiting yourself to typing would be like only passing notes to each other in a face to face game. You talk to the people at the gaming table. I am not an elf or gnome or dwarf BUT my character or your character might be. I can get by that in the PnP game, so I should be able to in a MMO game like DDO.

Good luck on your quest, good times are out there, but you may need to temper your expectiations to fit the medium.

Zenako
08-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Meh, everything after Keep on the Borderlands is just new fangled gobbledeegook. Harrumph!

OP: agree with the other advice. Look for one of the self-declared role playing groups. Good luck.

Double Bah!! Temple of the Frog....

(from Blackmoor: the second expansion after Greyhawk for all those younguns out there....)

moorewr
08-24-2007, 10:18 AM

Give me my Krynn!

To heck with 'em all! Roll your own!

ErgonomicCat
08-24-2007, 01:56 PM

You newfangled kids with your "Classes"

I do light RP, but full RP isn't why I come to the game - I have a PnP group for that. ;)

I do like spending some time for RP, and playing around in character. But when it comes to fighting a red name, I don't want someone to hassle me because I say "wiz needs a DV!"

So it's about finding people willing to RP, figuring out what level you want to play at, and going from there.

I've found that most people are willing to do light RP if you start it, too. I find it particularly easy on Warforged. ;) Calling people Meatbags helps. So Does Speaking With All Frontcaps. It Makes Your Speech More Important.

Come, Meatbags. I Will Remove The Pesky Obstacle From Your Path So That Your Fleshie Bodies Are Not Threatened.

Good times.

Strakeln
08-24-2007, 02:10 PM
I don't think I'd be willing to subscribe to a game if the players I'll be surrounded with are characters named "rofl" or "Deathbringer" or "superbabe" or "hayIwannakillu".

I don't just want to run around accepting quests and trying to survive dungeons on my own because I can't stand net-speak.I think you're going to have trouble playing games on the internet without running into net-speak. If goofy names really get to you that much, and turning off name displays (shortcut key: "v") isn't enough to fix it, then I think you're stuck with PnP (Pen and Paper, forgot you don't like netspeak).

That said, the kids (read: those most likely to have names that displease you) tend to drop off after about level 8-10. There is a big distaste for younguns in this game, which I am happy with. I had mostly forgotten this, since I've been avoiding rolling new characters, but I was reminded last night:

Any time you have a chatty kid in the party, you will find that most/all other party members will outright refuse to use voice chat, and probably won't type unless absolutely necessary. I think the idea is that no one wants to encourage the kid with the squeaky voice to talk even more than he already is.

I'm not sure why the kids (in general) stop playing at around levels 8-10, but thankfully they do.

ErgonomicCat
08-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Any time you have a chatty kid in the party, you will find that most/all other party members will outright refuse to use voice chat, and probably won't type unless absolutely necessary. I think the idea is that no one wants to encourage the kid with the squeaky voice to talk even more than he already is.

I'm not sure why the kids (in general) stop playing at around levels 8-10, but thankfully they do.

I can't imagine why they would, with such an encouraging attitude....

Damn those kids, trying to pick up hobbies that are only for us adults, ruining our fun! Kids, get back to being quiet and not invading our video games, dangit!

Hopefully we can discourage kids from playing all together, and prevent any new game designers from being inspired to work.

Heck, in 30 years, we could be living in a video game free environment!

And lemme tell you, annoying behavior is far from restricted to kids. I have found far more "adults" in the 21+ category that think flirting with the only woman in the group, making sexual jokes at every opportunity, and talking about how awesome their other characters are is the way to interact....

Dariun
08-24-2007, 02:33 PM

The game gets much much harder at lvls 8-10.

Personally, the kids don't bother me much.

What bothers me are the players who know how the quest *should* be done, insist on telling everyone what to do every single step of the quest (cast web here, stand by this door, two witchdoctors are around the corner, need X, Y, and Z buff now, trap on the right, secret door on the left), and then get angry whenever something doesn't go according to their plan. I'm somewhat tolerant if it is the party leader doing this, but I can't stand it when it is a random party member.

It annoys me even more when they do this even though the party is clearly overpowered for the quest and most of the 6 people in the group could easily solo the quest (except maybe for the end guy).

It totally drives me around the bend when they do all this and they are WRONG (e.g., "you have to kill the kobold brother on the right first if you want Muck to spawn!!!!!").

It sends me back off to soloing or only playing with my static group when the same person then quits the group midquest because the party did not follow their unnecessary and inaccurate instructions.

Compared to that, an excitable kid is fun to have around.

Quanefel
08-24-2007, 02:41 PM
Double Bah!! Temple of the Frog....

(from Blackmoor: the second expansion after Greyhawk for all those younguns out there....)

Heck yeah! Love all the Blackmoor quests. If you didn't know, the guy who came up with them started is own d20 gaming company of sorts and has a few new Blackmoor quests/books. I have like 3-4 of them? Good reads.

lenric
08-24-2007, 02:43 PM
The most roleplayers are on the Thelanis and Sarlona servers. A very nice tight nit roleplaying guild is our Order of the Sword and Rose on thelanis.

Strakeln
08-24-2007, 03:03 PM
I can't imagine why they would, with such an encouraging attitude....

Damn those kids, trying to pick up hobbies that are only for us adults, ruining our fun! Kids, get back to being quiet and not invading our video games, dangit!

Hopefully we can discourage kids from playing all together, and prevent any new game designers from being inspired to work.

Heck, in 30 years, we could be living in a video game free environment!

And lemme tell you, annoying behavior is far from restricted to kids. I have found far more "adults" in the 21+ category that think flirting with the only woman in the group, making sexual jokes at every opportunity, and talking about how awesome their other characters are is the way to interact....Calm down, have some dip. I stated a fact (that adult party members clam up as soon as a kid is in the party) and an opinion (it doesn't break my heart that we don't see kids at later levels), you're all up in my **** about it.

You must be a teacher. Or a parent. Either way, I'm sorry to hear that.

Aranticus
08-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Calm down, have some dip. I stated a fact (that adult party members clam up as soon as a kid is in the party) and an opinion (it doesn't break my heart that we don't see kids at later levels), you're all up in my **** about it.

You must be a teacher. Or a parent. Either way, I'm sorry to hear that.

fact: not all adults clam up

fact: some kids do get to L14

fact: you were a kid once

fact: if we never give them the chance, they never will have the chance

fact: if we want a better future, u need kids with proper upbringing (think of the greying pop problem)

a little help goes a long way. give them the chance, they may learn to be a team player. but if we do nothing, shun them, what do they learn? they learn to be exactly like what you are! be intolerant towards people younger than them.

Strakeln
08-27-2007, 11:01 PM
a little help goes a long way. give them the chance, they may learn to be a team player. but if we do nothing, shun them, what do they learn? they learn to be exactly like what you are! be intolerant towards people younger than them."Intolerant" and "not heartbroken if they're not around" are not very similar. For instance, I'm quite tolerant of my wife's parents, but it REALLY doesn't break my heart if they're not around. :D

Mercules
09-19-2007, 01:21 PM
And lemme tell you, annoying behavior is far from restricted to kids. I have found far more "adults" in the 21+ category that think flirting with the only woman in the group, making sexual jokes at every opportunity, and talking about how awesome their other characters are is the way to interact....

Don't forget the ones that reference 420 or talk about how stoned/drunk/high they were/are. Lets not forget the adults that feel talking with the only person in a group of 6 they know in real life about basically gossip through the whole quest completely monopolizing the voice chat is just fine. If someone dies because they couldn't hear the Rogue's trap warning or the Cleric say, "Held." or something else someone is going to learn to keep quiet of find a new group. :)

cdbd3rd
09-19-2007, 01:27 PM

FTW! ;)