PDA

View Full Version : Thrown weapons?

ErgonomicCat
08-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Do ranged feats like Manyshot apply to thrown weapons?

It just seems like thrown weapons are entirely sub-optimal. But I'm really caught on the idea of a halfing ranger tossing daggers about, especially given that I found a set of +2 frost returning daggers.

Even if they don't, is a halfling ranger a viable choice? Allow ranger to grant you TWF and skills, mix in a level or three of rogue, dual wield daggers when close, and thrown weapons at range?

Or am I just gonna be sad playing this?

Mad_Bombardier
08-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Manyshot, no. But Precise Shot and Improved Precise Shot, yes!

Blazer
08-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Halfling ranger is a viable choice. You see fewer of them around than you do the dwarven rangers, but they make a good choice for the ranger class. Overcoming that -2 to STR can be tough for some, but in the end your playstyle will dictate his success.

Throwing weapons are woefully underpowered in DDO. I find it funny that you write "dual wield daggers when close, and thrown weapons at range" for a ranger. :) When you're at range, I recommend the bow instead of the thrown daggers. In fact, my ranger is the only character of mine who doesn't carry a thrown returning weapon...for obvious reasons.

rpasell
08-23-2007, 12:33 PM
I've been thinking about my next build being a 12/2 fighter/rogue halfling thrower. It just seems fun, plus I'd be willing to bet there are all kinds of cool thrown weapons to be had in house D and on the Ac for cheap since hardly anyone plays the build. Also I've been jealous of a former guildy ever since he pulled a +2 returning vorpal throwing axe.

I wouldn't use ranger though.

ErgonomicCat
08-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Halfling ranger is a viable choice. You see fewer of them around than you do the dwarven rangers, but they make a good choice for the ranger class. Overcoming that -2 to STR can be tough for some, but in the end your playstyle will dictate his success.

Throwing weapons are woefully underpowered in DDO. I find it funny that you write "dual wield daggers when close, and thrown weapons at range" for a ranger. :) When you're at range, I recommend the bow instead of the thrown daggers. In fact, my ranger is the only character of mine who doesn't carry a thrown returning weapon...for obvious reasons.

The core that I was looking for was the halfling thrower more than anything. It seemed like ranger might be a good choice, but only if the rangers feats worked for thrown weapons.

I have me a ranger already, using bows. I was trying to get the halfing thrower going too. ;)

sigtrent
08-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Thrown weapons are actualy great, but only for those who arn't focusing on ranged combat at all.

My cleric uses a chill shard fairly often. It does tollerable damage, requires no feats or proficiencies, and has the shortest "cool down" of any ranged weapon.

My dwarven barbarian bard uses a returning throwing axe. Between the nice crits, damage boosts from axe enhancements and song bonuses the damage is pretty solid and again, 0 investment in it.

But if you are trying to be a lord of ranged combat... it definately falls short.