PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use quicken feat?

Vinos
08-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Does it affect cooldown timers?

Edit. Ninja master today.

apollojuly
08-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Quicken Spell Feat

NOW
While this metamagic feat is active, spells cast twice as fast and cannot be interrupted by enemy attacks, but they consume twice as many spell points.
Prerequisite: Able to cast spells

SOON TO BE
The biggest change that casters will discover is that each metamagic feat other than Heighten Spell now has a fixed spell point cost increase rather than multiplying the spell point cost of a spell as they did before Module 5.0. These surcharges are as follows: Quicken Spell: +10 SP

Hmmm. At twice as many spell points, for me it was a no brainer that I wasn't interested. But now I am tempted to acquire it.

Two of my favorite spells are blade barrier and symbol of persuasion and they seem so painfully slow to cast to me. It would be sweet to get the spell off quickly, especially when I solo and got several other issues to address right away.

Also, as a "battle cleric" I'm often in the thick of a fight and I occasionally see my cure spells interrupted when I fail a concentration check due to damage. I have max base constitution skill and a good constitution, but no items or enhancement to really jack up the modifier. I suppose quicken would still work if I start a heal spell, then get runover by an air elemental half-way through the cast.

Has anyone else given this some consideration?

arminius
08-22-2007, 03:34 PM
It sounds tempting, but with such a limited number of feats I can't figure out what could be replaced.

Which of these would you lose to get quicken spell?

Mental Toughness
Extend Spell
Toughness (i.e. dwarf)
Improved Mental Toughness
Heighten Spell

That's a pretty thin list of options, with not too much spare to cut. If I were a human with an extra feat, then, maybe.

_

Blazer
08-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Damn it, I had this long response typed out then the forums went down just as I was trying to post it. Anyway, here's the summary.

Quicken isn't worth it in the current metamagic system, IMO. I had it on my cleric for a bit after the desert area came out. I was tired of getting interrupted by the skeleton and gnoll archers. It simply costs too much to have it on. Since it costs 2x the SP to cast without interruption, that's the same cost as having to cast it twice anyway. Also, Quicken only boosts your cast speed, not the cooldown of the spell. You cast super-fast like a sorc, but still suffer the same cooldowns.

Given the new system, it may be more worthwhile, since only 10 more SP is a drastic reduction in cost. Obviously, it's not an all the time feat, but many feats aren't used all the time anyway.

Arminus, based on your list, if you were looking to add Quicken, I would drop Extend. I'm sure our playstyles are different, but I find myself using Extend less and less. Certainly never for buffs anymore. I only seem to use it for casting Symbols, and even then only in certain quests (Reaver Raid, for example). Another option is to drop Improved Mental Toughness since I believe investing in the Dwarven Faith enhancement line (mostly?) balances out the SP loss.

TwoHeals
08-23-2007, 02:56 AM
This feat is fun to play with in PVP or when you need to cast BB, near inst cometfall in a hurry. It’s also useful in a big boss fights to cast heals without being interrupted but you might want to carry some SP pots when using it.

I wouldn’t recommend using this feat unless you have a very low concentration and are getting interrupted a lot in boss fights. A good example would be an elite queen raid and the BBs are interrupting you or in giant hold tor elite and the electric traps are interrupting you.

IMO this feat is a must have if you do a lot of PVPing, for example when dueling a sorcerer he/she will tear you up by time you get off a single damage spell.

I can’t believe the cost will be +10 sp that’s awesome, I can’t wait to start laying down some max-empowered cometfall in a snap more often :D

My main human cleric has Heighten, Enlarge, Quicken, Empower, Maximize and just recently added back Extend. I have just over 1k sp with one SP ring to help out but I have to be very careful to turn off all those feats when they are not needed. lol

Metamagics are very nice you just have to watch your SP usage.

apollojuly
08-23-2007, 08:25 AM
It sounds tempting, but with such a limited number of feats I can't figure out what could be replaced.

Which of these would you lose to get quicken spell?

Mental Toughness
Extend Spell
Toughness (i.e. dwarf)
Heighten Spell

That's a pretty thin list of options, with not too much spare to cut. If I were a human with an extra feat, then, maybe.

_

Yeah that's the thing. I like my current feats:

Mental Toughness (Human Feat)
Toughness
Extend Spell
Focus: Slash (Fighter Feat)
Maximize Spell
Improved Crit: Slash

Don't want to give up my combat feats (can't give up focus in fact) because it defeats my 30 strength build (32 if I can acquire a +2 tome). It's what makes me a combat cleric. I prefer like Maximize and Extend more than Quicken in regards to my metamagic feats

That leaves Toughness or Improved Mental Toughness. Toughness, with a +5 enhancement gives me +21hp (8% of my current total of 265). Improved mental toughness gives me +75sp (6.5% of my current total of 1146). HP is king in this game, so I guess if I were to pick up quicken I would drop 75 sp.

I might just do that for awhile, with all the free dragonshards about to hit the market. TwoHeals and Blazer make some good comments in favor of Quicken.