PDA

View Full Version : Using a +5 MTS questions

Velorn
08-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Some of you may remember a DPS build (Freebee) I posted some time back. That thread was lost in transition and there were a few suggestions concerning the fact I could use a +5 MTS to increase my AC because my dex was high. I now have one.:D

Couple of questions. I'm going to rework the enhancements a little further. Will taking the first 2 ranks in TSM (+2 max dex bonus) raise it even further? I also take -2 to hit...goes from 31 to 29 (with +5 Elemental Burst Khopesh). Is that a really big deal? I can run Madstone Crater (ugh) to try for the Steady Armbands (+1 competancy to hit) and reduce that penalty. I could try to work in a few ranks in the Fighter Attack Boost enhancement, but it's only 20 seconds with a 2 minute cooldown(?). Is there any other way to reduce it to 0 penalty or like I stated above, is it really a big deal?

If it matters...Str 30, Dex 22 with +5 MFP, 2 ranks FAM enhancement

Casta
08-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Just try it out, don't worry about what we say here. If you still hit stuff most of the time your good, if you can't hit something switch to a heavy steel shield or vorpal.

Blazer
08-22-2007, 05:23 PM
There is no way to eliminate the -2 penalty to-hit using a tower shield. Boosting your to-hit can compensate for it, but it's not like taking the Armored Agility enhancements to reduce/eliminate the Armor Check Penalty to your skills.

Really, 31 to-hit, 29 to-hit - won't matter that much, especially if that's your to-hit before buffs. Don't sweat it. Oh, btw, Attack Boost is a 20 sec boost with a 30 sec cooldown.

Velorn
08-23-2007, 09:55 AM
There is no way to eliminate the -2 penalty to-hit using a tower shield. Boosting your to-hit can compensate for it, but it's not like taking the Armored Agility enhancements to reduce/eliminate the Armor Check Penalty to your skills.

That's actually what I meant in my initial post. Poor choice of words on my part....me bad.

Really, 31 to-hit, 29 to-hit - won't matter that much, especially if that's your to-hit before buffs. Don't sweat it. Oh, btw, Attack Boost is a 20 sec boost with a 30 sec cooldown.

Thanks Blazer and Casta for your replies. I tested it last night and noticed no difference in the to-hit. I still hit. BTW Bard songs are great:D :D.

I took the first 2 tiers in TSM and noticed no difference to my AC when I took the second tier...so when the timer is up I will change around the enhancements and drop TSM II. Maybe for the first 2 tiers in Fighter Attack bonus or Haste bonus. Ahhhh, the joys of tooling.

Riekan
08-23-2007, 11:23 AM
The TSM enhancements will only affect your AC if you have the "unused" Dex to fill it out. I'm at work, so my numbers may be a little off, but say you have a dex of 20. Mithril Tower is Max Dex of 4, if I remember right. So, TSM level 1 you make the Max Dex off the MTS 5, which you have with a 20 dex. When you take TSM 2 it makes the Max Dex for the Shield 6, so you would need a 22 dex to get any extra benefit.

Also, as another thing that can bite you, you have to look at the Max dex of your armor. If your Max Dex on MTS is 6 (with TSM 2), but the max dex on your armor is 4, the best AC bump you get is from the armor and the extra you spent on TSM is wasted as it stops at the most restrictive. So, you may have to take Armor Mastery enhancements (Fighter or Dwarf) to get them both the Max Dex of 6.

Was a little rambly, but I hope that helps.

Velorn
08-23-2007, 12:35 PM
The TSM enhancements will only affect your AC if you have the "unused" Dex to fill it out. I'm at work, so my numbers may be a little off, but say you have a dex of 20. Mithril Tower is Max Dex of 4, if I remember right. So, TSM level 1 you make the Max Dex off the MTS 5, which you have with a 20 dex. When you take TSM 2 it makes the Max Dex for the Shield 6, so you would need a 22 dex to get any extra benefit.

Also, as another thing that can bite you, you have to look at the Max dex of your armor. If your Max Dex on MTS is 6 (with TSM 2), but the max dex on your armor is 4, the best AC bump you get is from the armor and the extra you spent on TSM is wasted as it stops at the most restrictive. So, you may have to take Armor Mastery enhancements (Fighter or Dwarf) to get them both the Max Dex of 6.

Was a little rambly, but I hope that helps.

If you'll notice the last line of my original post above...you'll see what I'm running with. With 22 dex, I have a +6 bonus. Max dex for the MFP, I think, is +6 and the +5 MTS is +4, so the tiers in TSM should move it to +6 as well. I lose nothing except -2 to-hit. I'm at work too, so.....when I get home I'll check the numbers to see if I'm even close.

Riekan
08-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Mithril Fullplate is Max Dex of 3 (2 more than regular full plate). So, Armor mastery 2 would get you to +5. That's where you're capped. You either need to spec out TSM 2 since your not getting any use from it, or pick up Armor Mastery 3 to get your armor to max dex 6.

Velorn
08-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Mithril Fullplate is Max Dex of 3 (2 more than regular full plate). So, Armor mastery 2 would get you to +5. That's where you're capped. You either need to spec out TSM 2 since your not getting any using from it, or pick up Armor Mastery 3 to get your armor to max dex 6.

Ahhh...gotcha. I am probably going to spec out TSM II and something else to get FAM III. I'll try that for a while.:D.

binnsr
08-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Ahhh...gotcha. I am probably going to spec out TSM II and something else to get FAM III. I'll try that for a while.:D.

Actually, to make use of the +6 dex bonus you have, you need BOTH Armor Mastery III (raising the max dex of your MFP from +3 to +6) *and* Tower Shield Mastery II (rasing the max dex of your MTS from +4 to +6). Your max dex is limited by the lower of the two..

Velorn
08-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Actually, to make use of the +6 dex bonus you have, you need BOTH Armor Mastery III (raising the max dex of your MFP from +3 to +6) *and* Tower Shield Mastery II (rasing the max dex of your MTS from +4 to +6). Your max dex is limited by the lower of the two..

So if I understand this correctly, based on my 22 dex I have a +6 max dex bonus. FAM I,II and III combined with +5 MFP (+3) = +6, +5 MTS (+4) with TSM I & II = +6.

So that's the best I can do based on my current dex...period.

binnsr
08-23-2007, 03:57 PM
correct.

Mad_Bombardier
08-23-2007, 04:26 PM
So if I understand this correctly, based on my 22 dex I have a +6 max dex bonus. FAM I,II and III combined with +5 MFP (+3) = +6, +5 MTS (+4) with TSM I & II = +6.

So that's the best I can do based on my current dex...period.Correct, though it will cost you 18 of your 56 APs to do so. Personally, I'd stop at Armor Mastery II and Tower Shield Mastery I. Only -1 AC but saves 8 AP (that's 2 whole levels worth! :)).

Velorn
08-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Correct, though it will cost you 18 of your 56 APs to do so. Personally, I'd stop at Armor Mastery II and Tower Shield Mastery I. Only -1 AC but saves 8 AP (that's 2 whole levels worth! :)).

And that's what I'm personally debating at the moment. 18 AP's is a lot. Because to go that way..I'd lose Human Imp Recovery II (4 AP) and Stunning Blow IV (4 AP)...both of which I really like. It makes the way I built him most effective.

Actually, I think I just ended the debate with the last comment. :rolleyes: :D

Mad_Bombardier
08-24-2007, 09:46 AM
It makes the way I built him most effective.

Actually, I think I just ended the debate with the last comment. :rolleyes: :DJust don't let the min/maxers hear you say that. ;)

Velorn
08-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Just don't let the min/maxers hear you say that. ;)

Shhhhhh....hear what...:D