PDA

View Full Version : 28 point Drow pally/sorc questions.

Mogrim
08-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Now, before I start, allow me to say a couple of things. 1) I will be building up gear for this toon with my main. 2) I will not be waiting for 1750 favor to do this. Ok, I know that this toon can be alot of fun from what people are saying. I wanted a ftr/wiz hybrid, and most people said this would be better.

Questions:
1. What equipment should I look for throughout the character building process?
2. What skills should I look at building up, minus UMD?
3. What class levels should I take in what order for optimal results, reasons why?

Thanks ahead of time for any answers given. Plus I will be building a TWF toon with shortswords or rapier/shortsword. I will start with 16 str/dex and by 14 have 18 str and 17 dex for improved twf. If there are ideas as to why this might be bad, let me know. That being said, my heart is pretty much made up on the TWF bit. Again, thanks in advance.

Tavok
08-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Now, before I start, allow me to say a couple of things. 1) I will be building up gear for this toon with my main. 2) I will not be waiting for 1750 favor to do this. Ok, I know that this toon can be alot of fun from what people are saying. I wanted a ftr/wiz hybrid, and most people said this would be better.

Questions:
1. What equipment should I look for throughout the character building process?
2. What skills should I look at building up, minus UMD?
3. What class levels should I take in what order for optimal results, reasons why?

Thanks ahead of time for any answers given. Plus I will be building a TWF toon with shortswords or rapier/shortsword. I will start with 16 str/dex and by 14 have 18 str and 17 dex for improved twf. If there are ideas as to why this might be bad, let me know. That being said, my heart is pretty much made up on the TWF bit. Again, thanks in advance.

Drows always come in 28 points no matter what, so thats not really an issue. As for your questions:

1. +5 Mithral Chain Shirt, +5 Protection Items
2. Jump is always nice, and Concentration
3. For the level 14 cap I would recommend 12/2 Sorc/Pal then 2 levels of Rogue at the 16 cap, make sure to either carry bunches of GH scrolls or take the spell.

Mogrim
08-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the advice. As to levelling should I go sorceror levels first or pally? Do protection items stack? What clickies are found to be the best? What spells should I look at taking? Will the following starting stats be ok?

16 str
16 dex
12 con
10 int
8 wis
16 cha

Drow elf

Thanks again for any advice given :)

moorewr
08-22-2007, 12:07 PM
I went 20 CHA and 14 CON, with STR as my dump stat. HP and SP matter a lot if you are a caster first...

If you don't want a high charisma consider Human as your feats will be pretty tight...

I took paladin and toughness at 1st level... I'd recommend pal-8 sorc levels-pal, 4sorc levels...

I use lots of cure wands, stoneskin and greater heroism scrolls, and I drink tons of resist and protection pots. I don't use a lot of clickies or offensive scrolls/wands...

Thanks for the advice. As to levelling should I go sorceror levels first or pally? Do protection items stack? What clickies are found to be the best? What spells should I look at taking? Will the following starting stats be ok?

16 str
16 dex
12 con
10 int
8 wis
16 cha

Drow elf

Thanks again for any advice given :)

Mogrim
08-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the replies :-).

I still have some questions.

1. Do protection items stack? +5 ring of prot, +5 cloak of prot, etc.
2. With str as a dump stat won't that mean I will be doing less damage in the end? I will be planning on meleeing with this toon a fair bit.
3. Where does the white go when the snow melts?
4. What spells are critical for a sorc/pally?

Aspenor
08-22-2007, 05:41 PM

2. With str as a dump stat won't that mean I will be doing less damage in the end? I will be planning on meleeing with this toon a fair bit.

1. No, bonuses of the same kind do not stack, except dodge bonuses from different sources.
2. if you want to fight with this build, i actually think your original numbers look good. probably go strength fighting, and use the elven dex enhancements to increase your dexterity to fill out a light armor (like mithral chain shirts). Drow can achieve 0% arcane spell failure (ASF) via enhancements or loot with one of these, easily.
3. The ocean.
4. For a fighting sorc/pally: haste, displacement, stoneskin, and elemental resists would be nice. all increase your ability to melee safely. if you decide to take two weapon fighting or two handed fighting, take shield.

Mogrim
08-24-2007, 03:50 PM
I went with a melee sorc/pally. I just enjoy mixing it up to much. I went with my original idea and am now a level 2 paladin and going sorceror from here on out. Thanks for the advice, I will check back from time to time and will show how he is doing come about 8th level.

Varis
08-24-2007, 04:10 PM
warforged wiz/fighter

or

drow sorc/pally

as others, I enjoy the sorc/pally immensly. It takes a bit of getting used to but he turns out to be a very tough melee that can bust out a max+emp firewall to fight inside when he needs to.

moorewr
08-28-2007, 09:30 AM
zombie thread!

How is your sorc/pally doing? Happy with the build?

#2 - yes. My build was designed to be a less squishy nuker. If you are focusing on melee more than I am, your stats look good. In fact, you might ignore our advice to go Drow for the extra Human feat. I couldn't make the numbers work but I wanted the high CHA for my DC. 16 CHA is OK if your spells are mostly buffs

My buff routine right now (still 2Pal/8Sorc) -
cast extended nightshield and blur
recite scrolls of greater heroism and stoneskin
drink a barkskin pot

Plus haste and displace right before fights. Then I stand in maximized firewall and whack whatever has aggroed on me till they kill my stoneskin. Fun!

You'll probably take some of the same, plus Tensor's, which if I recall correctly you can start reciting at level 11. I plan to carry some tensors win another level for when the SP run out.

I never lose sight of of how tight this build is on feats and spell slots; I can't afford any non-caster feats except toughness - you want extend and toughness but otherwise you can take a combat chain. Again, Human is tempting for the extra feat.

jjflanigan
08-28-2007, 08:07 PM
mmm....sorc / pally. My favorite.

Haste, Chill Touch, Wall of Fire, Shield (or Nightshield), Cloudkill, Solid Fog, Jump, Invis

The rest just whatever you like for spells. It's an insanely powerful build, it's the one I used for my 170+ solo Whisperdoom runs trying to get the named items (never did) and also was able to solo The Pit on elite with it.

Razdan
09-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Good info, going to try this one out.

Mogrim
09-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks for all the information. Unfortunately my fiancee is winning the game/wife battle at the moment with our upcoming wedding. So I haven't had as much time to play as I would have liked. I am definitely stoked to see how he will turn out though. I should get some playing in today and tomorrow so I may be able to hit 4th. Thanks again and keep any advice you got coming :)