PDA

View Full Version : Loading Screen

turkeymoon
08-21-2007, 11:30 AM
There seems to be a growing problem with loading areas (all areas). Would it be possible to have a Cancel option on the loading screen? I can't count how many times I've been stuck on the loading screen and how many problems it creates. The worst one is, 10 minutes later, getting a disconnect message. If we could have the cancel part then it might address area specific problems.

Before this gets slammed - I know Alt+F4 is the easy cancel but I would rather not have to restart the game on my machine when it's not an issue with my machine.

tihocan
08-21-2007, 11:38 AM
/signed

Citymorg
08-21-2007, 11:43 AM
I have been having mulitple problems recently, especially with login. It seems when I first log in (after restart from desktop icon) the game launches normally. When I quit out and try to relaunch from bar at bottom right (running program bar) I either get the black d20 or straight to login (skips the yellow/dragon splash screen) and hangs up. Exit out and restart fresh (end application) and it reloads just fine.

Additional, and per OP thread, when I first log in wich a character it almost always hangs up on the initial load screen. I usually have to Alt-F4 and restart the program, then it loads, sometimes slower than normal, sometimes normally. In addition, I have experienced longer loading times on most loading screens.

I have sent multiple error reports, but I an nearly certain they all say ended by user.

Dariun
08-21-2007, 11:44 AM
I've been having this problem too.

Game hangs on a loading screen. I can wait 10 minutes, but nothing happens. If I quit and relog, that will usually solve the problem. A "reset" or "retry" button would be better than quitting and relogging.

I have no idea what is causing these stalls on the loading screens, but if they can't be stopped maybe some sort of the "load failed try again" trigger needs to occur after a loading screen has been up for 45 seconds or so?

In_Like_Flynn
08-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Optimize your systems for gaming.

Laith
08-21-2007, 12:09 PM
once or twice, i can only recall it happening when leaving the Pheonix Tavern, the loading screen didn't come up AT ALL.

Poof, i was in the market, thinking i blinked and missed the screen. i start moving, only to get blindsided by the loading screen.

When the screen is complete, i am standing where i moved to and not right next to the door (so the server was apparently still listening).

just figured i'd throw this up here and see if i'm alone.

Since it happened this weekend, and i can remember seeing at least one player (can't account for NPCs, as none are visible there), it makes me wonder what exactly IS being loaded during that screen. :)

turkeymoon
08-21-2007, 12:12 PM

/noted

Lorien_the_First_One
08-21-2007, 12:17 PM

Why? I use it for other things. Besides not everyone has $1000 to upgrade for a game.

flowmaster
08-21-2007, 12:22 PM

Not the issue. My machine is a monster but the loading screens have been bad lately, and were horrible last night. Had the entire party get stuck on for 3 minutes simply going into a cave in Sorrowdusk (not a loading screen, but still a 'transition'), ALL SIX OF US at the same time. Turbine's problem, not ours.

Dariun
08-21-2007, 12:28 PM

True enough, but I've been playing for over a year on exactly the same system, so when I suddenly start having a problem that I never had before my first thought really isn't "oh gee, I guess my 2 gigs of RAM isn't enough!".

In_Like_Flynn
08-21-2007, 12:35 PM
The conditions have changed. More players means more work for your HD to load the toons. Optimize disk access and see improvement. Take loading delays to mean a healthier population, pet your cat and relax.

Raithe
08-21-2007, 12:39 PM
The conditions have changed. More players means more work for your HD to load the toons. Optimize disk access and see improvement. Take loading delays to mean a healthier population, pet your cat and relax.

This problem is server-side.

When my hard disk light actually starts blinking a little is when I know I'm going to get through. When nothing happens, that's when I know I'm going to have to type /logout.

Impaqt
08-21-2007, 12:39 PM
/logout will kick you back to the instance you were in... But you'll still be stuck.

It was particually bad last night though.. I froze a few times and I'm running a Dual Core at 3Ghz, 8800GTX, 2GIgs of Ram, Dual Raptors in Raid-0 on a Dedicated Gaming Machine. Optimization is not the solution.

Dariun
08-21-2007, 12:44 PM

You get points for being positive, but none for technical expertise...

Dariun
08-21-2007, 12:46 PM
It was particually bad last night though..

Yeah, I decided not to play last night after I got stuck on my 3rd loading screen in 15 minutes. Twas ugly.

Coldin
08-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Yeah, it's all server side. The server optimization they did really didn't seem to make much a difference with load screens. Maybe with Mod 5's engine optimizations we'll see some improvement. But this is certianly not client side.

/tangent

But since we are all getting a much longer look at these loading screens, I might as well make this suggestion again. How about instead of seeing screens of each house/tavern/NPC/ect, we're treated to some nice concept artwork. Go load into the Twelve and then tell me that seeing more art like that while at a loading screen wouldn't be nicer. And then make it slightly random too. That way everytime you load into the Marketplace you don't see the same old screen. Change it up a little.

/tangent off

Karethon
08-21-2007, 01:38 PM

I would agree if it were isolated instances. As flowmaster mentioned, when the entire party says "stuck on a load screen with no progress", I'm pretty sure it's not any one individual. I've noticed it most when dealing with wilderness areas, either entering or exiting, though I have had the "double load" from the Phoenix Tavern as well.

Laith
08-21-2007, 01:41 PM
when the entire party says "stuck on a load screen with no progress"
either it's a server-side issue completely OR it's that one "loader" gets hitched up, which causes everyone else trying to make that load have to wait until the hitch is fixed (or that player drops). Ever noticed that when it happens, EVERYONE gets freed up at the same time?

In a sense, that IS one individual causing the problem... everyone in line behind him suffers though. That problem could very well be that client's system (or at least its connection to the server).

edit: it's more than likely that it's a combination of the two: a server-side prioritization problem in addition to overloaded clients.

Dariun
08-21-2007, 01:48 PM
either it's a server-side issue completely OR it's that one "loader" gets hitched up, which causes everyone else trying to make that load have to wait until the hitch is fixed (or that player drops). Ever noticed that when it happens, EVERYONE gets freed up at the same time?

In a sense, that IS one individual causing the problem... everyone in line behind him suffers though. That problem could very well be that client's system (or at least its connection to the server).

edit: it's more than likely that it's a combination of the two: a server-side prioritization problem in addition to overloaded clients.

Do you really think the server operates on a "first come, first served, one at a time only" basis?

If so, sounds like an absolutely horrible server set up since it will necessarily force all users to operate at the speed of the slowest user.

Laith
08-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Do you really think the server operates on a "first come, first served, one at a time only" basis?

If so, sounds like an absolutely horrible server set up since it will necessarily force all users to operate at the speed of the slowest user. First In, First Out IS probably what they use. But odds are they allow hundreds of requests at a time.

"One at a time only" most definately isn't the limit (that was a simplification), and we don't know exactly how their servers or their operations work, but odds are there are "a ton of cars on the road" at any given time. Basically, many different gateways on may different servers could feasibly be going to the same place at the same time.

( (I recall a WoW Dev stating that no matter what "shard" your character was on, when you visited certain instances you were technically being routed through 1 particular set of computers, distributed by load, NOT shard.) )

More reasonably it takes a lot of "one"s to create the problem. Traffic jams on highways use the same principle: look at a small piece of road. When the cars coming in is greater than the cars going out for a period of time, you'll eventually get a jam. Consider this example to be more like heavy traffic that causes a wreck... that possibly causes a BIGGER wreck. Until the wreck is removed, traffic is boned up.

Just a possibility of course, quite likely that i'm completely off base. Putting it on the table though that enough sub-par client machines could possibly cause it to look like a server issue.

Karethon
08-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Just a possibility of course, quite likely that i'm completely off base. Putting it on the table though that enough sub-par computers could possibly cause it to look like a server issue.

Definitely a possibility. It might help explain the "lag walls" that pop up in the wilderness areas, too - someones machine hasn't properly buffered the zone so everyone has to wait.

Then again, it could be a problem with the hand-off between servers when you transition from instance-type-A to instance-type-B. Without any knowledge of their setup, it's really hard to say.

Raithe
08-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Ummm.... if User Smith has a top end machine, but his game performance is being affected by several other game clients who have low end machines, its still a server-side issue for User Smith. There is nothing User Smith can do about anyone's machine but his own (and what's more, I doubt client machines ever talk directly to each other - that would be a pretty serious security issue).

Several of you are acting like several low end client machines ruining the experience for an invested gamer is not the developers problem.

I guarantee it is.

Laith
08-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Several of you are acting like several low end client machines ruining the experience for an invested gamer is not the developers problem.They can, and it is.

Only one person in this thread has told the users that it is their problem to fix.

Proposing a cause isn't the same as assigning responsibility for the fix. McD's may have ruined my six-pack, but i'm not about to make them pay for my gym membership.

Until Turbine releases different minimum specs for DDO, i expect Turbine to support the current ones as best they can. I will also add, that i mentioned a "server prioritization issue" which, in the end, is the exact same thing as the "traffic jam" example earlier... it just sounds like i'm blaming the client machines less (and makes for a MUCH dirtier example. i'd have to add in a construction crew that put up "rocky pavement (code); drive slow" signs every mile :)).

on second though, that would have been fun for me (more confusing though).

Cthugha
09-05-2007, 05:59 PM
having the same problem, it started today, been playing for 8 months with a 64 bit processor, 1 giga ram, nvidia 7800 256 mbs and never had a problem. Seen a lot of discussion around here but not a single proposal for technical help or some tips to try to fight this thing around. Any ideas people? need a resolution for this, its starting to suck big time.

turkeymoon
09-05-2007, 06:38 PM
having the same problem, it started today, been playing for 8 months with a 64 bit processor, 1 giga ram, nvidia 7800 256 mbs and never had a problem. Seen a lot of discussion around here but not a single proposal for technical help or some tips to try to fight this thing around. Any ideas people? need a resolution for this, its starting to suck big time.

There was one post I read that claimed to cut down lag - it went something along the lines of going into your who panel, unchecking the any class and then clicking find. This was to address the who panel always updating with whomever was logging on or off.

I've tried it but it might just be a "turn three times, jump, then tumble" on a chest for better loot because it's still an issue more often than not.