PDA

View Full Version : Mentoring Revisited

Cupcake
08-21-2007, 09:51 AM
I know this has been discussed before. Just wanted some fresh input from you all.

One of the things I liked about EQ2 was its mentoring system.

I am wondering if it would work in DDO.

I know we have the slayer quests for a good lvl range spread but...

This morning for instance, I ran STK with my level TWO sorc. No magic missile. Poor me. Anyways.

There was a level 6 in the party so naturally I got badly power leveled.

If we had had some type of mentoring system, the level 6 could have mentored me, helping me on my way to lvl 3.

I know that in EQ2, when you mentor, the mentoree (me) gets what 50% more xp and the one mentoring gets his/her xp cut until the menotoree starts leveling, then they begin to get more xp also.

Do you think its a viable option to have a mentoring system in DDO?

I think it would be a good idea.

Thoughts?

The_Cataclysm
08-21-2007, 10:18 AM
The EQ2 method of mentoring wouldn't work because it was built around a scaling system so that a level 40 item could easily become a level 20 item for a while. In DDO, you would be left with a high level character with no equipment.

Tanka
08-21-2007, 10:19 AM
The EQ2 method of mentoring wouldn't work because it was built around a scaling system so that a level 40 item could easily become a level 20 item for a while. In DDO, you would be left with a high level character with no equipment.
Indeed, and the same is true with CoH's systems of similar note.

Laith
08-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Indeed, and the same is true with CoH's systems of similar note.yeah... without the abilities & equipment of a high level toon, the system was lacking.

what, in DDO, WOULD you get though? some HP & BAB obviously... what about feats/skills/spell slots? which of your possible 3 classes would it "level"? (i guess you'd have to have a dialog to choose all these things)

i'm just trying to figure out how mentoring would work in DDO. it'd definately be complicated.

Lorien_the_First_One
08-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Hmm.... A 14th level player suddenly naked in a dungeon and swinging like he was L4...could be funny.

If they allowed such a scaling down option I think I woudl be willing to keep a few pieces of low level gear in the bank. It would be helpful at times to be able to help out a new player or guildie...

Dariuss
08-21-2007, 11:01 AM
In FFXI they have a thing where you can put a 'mentor' icon above your head, indicating you are willing to help out new players, answer questions, etc.

I think something like that might work and be easier than some reverse levelling thing... just type /mentor and thing pops up. Then new peeps know who to ask questions of, an knowsomeone is there to help them out.

Especially in the harbor.

Tanka
08-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Actually, Turbine made a motion to get more experienced players to make characters that are less common (rogues, clerics) at low levels to help out new players, asking those players to put up an LFM that stated something along the lines of helping new players via mentoring.

Dariuss
08-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Actually, Turbine made a motion to get more experienced players to make characters that are less common (rogues, clerics) at low levels to help out new players, asking those players to put up an LFM that stated something along the lines of helping new players via mentoring.

Yeah I remember that. It lasted for about 4 days, iirc :)