PDA

View Full Version : How does one "Tank" in this game

Tenlanni
08-21-2007, 03:19 AM
I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Other than raw damage. In every other MMO i've played, there's been a method to hold agro. Weather it's spamming a button, or a few buttons over and over, using specific weapons, or executing a series of "High threat" moves. How does one hold agro in this game? :confused:

bandyman1
08-21-2007, 03:37 AM
Intimidate skill. A sucessful roll will give you agrro for 6 sec. It's important to note however, that the cooldown on the skill is 10 sec., so you may have to deal out some DPS to keep agrro if your opponets are gonna live longer than that.

Dylos_Moon
08-21-2007, 03:38 AM
I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Other than raw damage. In every other MMO i've played, there's been a method to hold agro. Weather it's spamming a button, or a few buttons over and over, using specific weapons, or executing a series of "High threat" moves. How does one hold agro in this game? :confused:

Theres a little button for a skill called intimidate, if you put ranks into intimidate and have a decent charisma you should be able to gain aggro that way, of course the cooldown is slightly longer then how long the effect lasts.

The only way you can be sure that you will hold aggro is to do the most damage to the target, which guess what means typically CASTERS have aggro more often then they should, if they are indeed using their offensive spells. (also spells generate quite a bit more hate then swords, now this does make an easier alternative to drawing aggro however. A dwarf can aquire a spell-like ability, their dragonmark, that is offensive in nature, this ability can easily draw aggro)

Tenlanni
08-21-2007, 03:48 AM
Thanks for the replies :) Guess I better find a way to up my charisma

Aranticus
08-21-2007, 04:31 AM
do take note that its a skill to use the intimidate skill efficiently. i normally use it when i see a caster running, escaping from a mob he/she cant kill. at this point of time, get the caster to run near you, hit the button and shift the agro over. that said some casters are good at kiting mobs so you guys can focus on others. when i'm on my wiz, i normally buff myself up, throw a firewall n proceed to jump around in the fire. do not take that as i cant protect myself for this is a tactic employed by many players. a couple of seconds is all i need for the mobs to burn but a poor tank will intimidate and draw the mobs away from the fire of death.

bottomline, there is a time and place for the skill :)

tihocan
08-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Other than intimidate, dealing damage is the way to go. Getting the cleave/great cleave or whirlwind feats can help you deal damage to multiple targets in order to hold aggro. Using two-handed weapons (that deal glancing blows) is another way, but it may not be a good idea to "tank" without a shield.

Tavok
08-22-2007, 01:01 AM
Other than intimidate, dealing damage is the way to go. Getting the cleave/great cleave or whirlwind feats can help you deal damage to multiple targets in order to hold aggro. Using two-handed weapons (that deal glancing blows) is another way, but it may not be a good idea to "tank" without a shield.

Yea Cleave/Great Cleave is the best way IMO.

Borror0
08-22-2007, 06:11 AM
Yea Cleave/Great Cleave is the best way IMO.

To Tank? Nah Intimidate is much better. If you want, you can however combine the two.

Aesop
08-22-2007, 07:52 AM
YOu might also consider the tactical feats... they seem to annoy NPCs and if they hit are even better control over said baduns as they are on the ground, looking stupid ... or at least easier to hit.

Aesop

blakbyrd
08-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Tanking in DDO takes a little more tact than in most MMOs. Probably one of the real new thresholds DDO has is its battle mechanics over than of the typical MMO, and thus mastering it's use is not nearly as simple.

To tank effectively you need to know many things and be prepared to handle many situations.

- What mob are you facing?
- Does it have DR and if so to what?
- What is its weakness?
- What is it immune to?
- Would a power 5 weapon be better or a DPS weapon?
- What backup do you have?
- What strengths does it have that may work against your weaknesses?
- Can you withstand the damage type the mob produces?

etc.

All of which is needed to know to become a truely good tank. AC of course helps alot as well, but the AC side of things begins to deminish as you near the end game. You need to have weaponds available that will allow you to maintain a higher form of DPS, or know when a smiter, vorpal, etc may be a better alternative. Many tanks specialize in being able to handle certain situations and are weaker in others. Some specialize in DPS, others in Stat damaging or paralyzing. It's a tough call to say what constitutes being a tank in DDO as many types of Tanks exist.

If your concern is simply how does one maintain aggro, thats a bit different. Intimidate helps of course but is limited in it's use as a situational ability. Paladins gain an enhancement (if you take it) that ups their threat alot for a short period of time helping to gain aggro from everything in range, unlike intimidate which is targetted to one mob. All in all, a high DPS is generally the default route for a true tank, as it helps to maintain aggro in all situations.

However the greateest determining factor on being a good tank, is not the tank themself. It is the group. A good tank is still hard pressed to match the DPS factor a properly built mage with a maximized firewall or fireball can produce, and the mage can quickly find themself grabbing aggro from multiple sources at once, negating the usefulness of the tank. For a tank to truely be effective all group members need to know their strengths and abilities as well as those of the other group members to effectively work in a cohesive effort. Without that, the "tank" can become anyone in the group, which can quite often become precisely the one that it shouldnt be, leaving the real tank running around trying to regain aggro. Aside from the group also comes a knowledge of one's surroundings and being able to take advantage of the terrain (ie, choke points, or areas where one may be safe while another is in melee, such as using a pit between the two, etc.)

Although DPS tends to be the core rule in most MMOs for being a tank, in DDO, DPS is still quite important, but there are many other factors to maintain an awareness of as well. There are many abilities in the game that will help a tank maintain aggro or take advantage of the alternate method of simple stopping power (ie: trip, stun, crippling, hamstring, sunder, etc)...but again you need to be knowledgable of what mobs these work on which ones they do not.

Mhykke
08-23-2007, 02:45 AM
Paladins gain an enhancement (if you take it) that ups their threat alot for a short period of time helping to gain aggro from everything in range, unlike intimidate which is targetted to one mob.

This is incorrect. Intimidate is AOE, does not just affect a single target.

Drfirewater79
08-23-2007, 03:15 AM
if you are used to games where tanking is actually done here is the strat's for how it works in this game

there is only so much crowd control and because of the hightened AI they dont just pull like in some games

what tends to be the best strat for tanking is to get two fighters in a doorway or other easy to block off area while one high hp/ac fighter or barbarian runs around grabbing the agro the angry mobs will follow you to the door way as long as you dont out run them or try to pull from to far out

at this point the sheild blockers (who dont actually need a sheild or to block just stand still and swing) prevent the mobs from accessing the cleric(s) and caster(s) who will focus on healing and crowd control/aoe attacks respectivly

this method is similar to what would be done in games like City of Heros/Villians and other such games where tanks serve the purpose of hording enimies into a trap ... hence called tank because they head into battle absorbing massive damage while controling the enemies by causeing them to focus on it like a tank does .....

i personally dont suggest being the TANK type character in this game if you are not a barb fighter or a palidan with an ac at around 30 at low levels and 45 at higher levels and hit points over 200 simply cause you can be shot down by archers in seconds or be held and pounded on fairly fast

My suggestion for it would be dwarven/warforged barbarian or dwarven/warforged Fighter (ac build) anything else is likely to get held or pounded into a pulp

What you want to have

anything that raises will and or wisdom for will saves to prevent hold
monster/person and dominate

greater/lesser heroism either in clicky or pots or cast by wizard/sorc

a shield - even if you are not proficient with it you can still use a sheild

defensive fighting stance - yes use it it adds to your ac and you dont
need to do damage to pull just have to get them angery

a caster with web firewall fire ball hypnotism symbol of stunning or
dance ball can be a bard or wizard or sorc dont matter

a healing cleric - things can go bad if the cleric gets agro and things make
there way through the tanks if cleric wants to cast something other then
heal maybe greater/lesser command or commet fall

at least two other ac or dps fighters to hold door and help keep agro off
squishies by NOT MOVING and SWINGING from a STANDING STILL
POSITION

REMEMBER if your worried about your kill count then you are either already dead or killing your party check your counter between fights and dont get all hell bent on winning

especially if your playing with me cause you wont win anyway

even you Cyronax

any questions feel free to reply or party up with me or any other of the wonderful tanks of the Sons of Might (adar) on serlona

Aranticus
08-23-2007, 04:50 AM
if you are used to games where tanking is actually done here is the strat's for how it works in this game

there is only so much crowd control and because of the hightened AI they dont just pull like in some games

what tends to be the best strat for tanking is to get two fighters in a doorway or other easy to block off area while one high hp/ac fighter or barbarian runs around grabbing the agro the angry mobs will follow you to the door way as long as you dont out run them or try to pull from to far out

at this point the sheild blockers (who dont actually need a sheild or to block just stand still and swing) prevent the mobs from accessing the cleric(s) and caster(s) who will focus on healing and crowd control/aoe attacks respectivly

this method is similar to what would be done in games like City of Heros/Villians and other such games where tanks serve the purpose of hording enimies into a trap ... hence called tank because they head into battle absorbing massive damage while controling the enemies by causeing them to focus on it like a tank does .....

i personally dont suggest being the TANK type character in this game if you are not a barb fighter or a palidan with an ac at around 30 at low levels and 45 at higher levels and hit points over 200 simply cause you can be shot down by archers in seconds or be held and pounded on fairly fast

My suggestion for it would be dwarven/warforged barbarian or dwarven/warforged Fighter (ac build) anything else is likely to get held or pounded into a pulp

What you want to have

anything that raises will and or wisdom for will saves to prevent hold
monster/person and dominate

greater/lesser heroism either in clicky or pots or cast by wizard/sorc

a shield - even if you are not proficient with it you can still use a sheild

defensive fighting stance - yes use it it adds to your ac and you dont
need to do damage to pull just have to get them angery

a caster with web firewall fire ball hypnotism symbol of stunning or
dance ball can be a bard or wizard or sorc dont matter

a healing cleric - things can go bad if the cleric gets agro and things make
there way through the tanks if cleric wants to cast something other then
heal maybe greater/lesser command or commet fall

at least two other ac or dps fighters to hold door and help keep agro off
squishies by NOT MOVING and SWINGING from a STANDING STILL
POSITION

REMEMBER if your worried about your kill count then you are either already dead or killing your party check your counter between fights and dont get all hell bent on winning

especially if your playing with me cause you wont win anyway

even you Cyronax

any questions feel free to reply or party up with me or any other of the wonderful tanks of the Sons of Might (adar) on serlona

a clr has so much more to offer than to heal. blade barrier to chop them up, cometfall to trip and damage them. why must we have the fixated idea that a cleric should only heal and not do damage? then why else give them offensive damage spells? might as well roll a bard! (no offence to bards but most of the abilities bards have are non-threatening types, ie dance, fascinate etc)

blakbyrd
08-23-2007, 08:24 AM
This is incorrect. Intimidate is AOE, does not just affect a single target.

Ahh, thanks for the correction.