PDA

View Full Version : Yet More Questions..

Khurse
08-20-2007, 12:13 PM
First off- a really stupid one, 99% sure I know the answer but..

After a week or so of contantly creating new chars, managing to loot a muckbane and selling it I had built up about 60K (which seemed alot of con to me- I know it's nothing for you guys ;) ) Anyway for whatver reason figured it would be better to restart Cowl (sorcerer) with a str of 10 rather than 8, transferred all the gear,deleted the char, realized I'd forgotten to transfer the coin.
Do GM's/Support generally track and fix this or am I out of luck (and cursing my stupidity).

Now on to the others..

1) While running around (after a mission was complete) to make sure I'd found everything I could, I had a Kobold hit me for 70 some odd damage (this was on hard in the smugglers gems in the warehouse mission). It wasn't a normal attack msg, was something alng the lines of "Kobold does xx dmg to you"
-Is this a game thing to make sure I don't spend tons of time searching the dungeon after the quest is done? Or was it a bug?
(Since I'm assuming there's very few 3rd level chars that can get hit for 70+)

2) Do rings/skills/whatever that effect spells (+20%dmg to first lvl fire spells etc)affect fire spells from wands/scrolls/ gear?

3)Another kind of stupid one- but I don't (usually) have to kill everything in a mission right? I've posted in the sorceres forums I keep getting killed while waiting for charm to wear off, but once the missions done I don't really have to wait around and kill whatvers left correct?
(Yes it's been a kinda "I'm so stupid" week..)

Anyway- as always thanks for any help you can provide!

Mad_Bombardier
08-20-2007, 12:23 PM
a) Your coin is gone.
1) That is a bug; the kobold "fell" on you. It happens enough to be annoying, but not enough to be gamebreaking.
2) Those items affect spells only. There is separate Wand and Scroll Mastery enhancement to increase the output of wands and scroll. It is currently available to Bards, Clerics, Wizards, and Sorcerers.
3) You only have to kill everything if that is a quest objective. Otherwise, killing everything will give you bonus XP (Aggression/Onslaught/Conquest), but is not required for completion.

Dariun
08-20-2007, 12:25 PM
3) You only have to kill everything if that is a quest objective. Otherwise, killing everything will give you bonus XP (Aggression/Onslaught/Conquest), but is not required for completion.

Also, you can get an XP bonus for killing as few things as possible.

For example, in Sewer Rescue you only have to kill 3 monsters and in Bringing the Light you only have to kill 2. The rest can be avoided, charmed, hypnotized, fascinated, etc.

You can get a bonus ("discreet bonus" I think) for killing the minimum.

Ghoste
08-20-2007, 12:26 PM
3) killing everything will get you more xp, but can potentially take a lot more time. For best time:xp ratio dont worry about conquest. There are other tricks to speed things up, most of which involve ignoring the whimpering tanks who complain they want to kill everything.

Khurse
08-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Perfect
(well except for that coin thing.. how is it I remember to transfer crossbow bolts but forget the huge amount of cash?? grrr)

Ah kobold's fall for damage.
Should have expected that.

Thanks for the quick replies!

tihocan
08-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Note that killing more monsters will give you bonus XP only if the quest is not over yet.
Once the quest is done and XP is awarded, you don't get XP anymore for additional kills. You may get XP from optional objectives though.

parvo
08-20-2007, 03:53 PM
...That is a bug; the kobold "fell" on you. It happens enough to be annoying, but not enough to be gamebreaking...

It seems they recently fixed a triple-hit bug that used to be a whopper. The falling Kobold (or assumably any mob) bug is still in effect. Although minor in "normal" play, it's a real pain in Permadeath play.

Mad_Bombardier
08-20-2007, 03:56 PM
It seems they recently fixed a triple-hit bug that used to be a whopper. The falling Kobold (or assumably any mob) bug is still in effect. Although minor in "normal" play, it's a real pain in Permadeath play.I thought most PD guilds had exceptions for death from excessive falling damage. Now, falling damage followed by death from repeated attacks because you were too lazy to drink a potion/heal yourself is another story. ;)

PurdueDave
08-20-2007, 03:59 PM
It seems they recently fixed a triple-hit bug that used to be a whopper. The falling Kobold (or assumably any mob) bug is still in effect. Although minor in "normal" play, it's a real pain in Permadeath play.

I didn't catch the triple-hit fix. I hope so. That was really annoying and seemed to happen, at least to me, way more than the "falling on you" bug.

Beherit_Baphomar
08-21-2007, 11:26 AM

After a week or so of contantly creating new chars, managing to loot a muckbane and selling it I had built up about 60K (which seemed alot of con to me- I know it's nothing for you guys ;) ) Anyway for whatver reason figured it would be better to restart Cowl (sorcerer) with a str of 10 rather than 8, transferred all the gear,deleted the char, realized I'd forgotten to transfer the coin.
Do GM's/Support generally track and fix this or am I out of luck (and cursing my stupidity). - Your coin is gone and there is nothing you can do about it. Deleted/lost/forgotten items are gone, the GMs wont/cant do anything, sorry bro. Are you Argonnessen? I can throw you a few gold to make you feel better if you are.

Now on to the others..

1) While running around (after a mission was complete) to make sure I'd found everything I could, I had a Kobold hit me for 70 some odd damage (this was on hard in the smugglers gems in the warehouse mission). It wasn't a normal attack msg, was something alng the lines of "Kobold does xx dmg to you"
-Is this a game thing to make sure I don't spend tons of time searching the dungeon after the quest is done? Or was it a bug?
BUG! Well known bug actually. The kobold fell on you..never had it happen to me, but Im laughing at you right now.
2) Do rings/skills/whatever that effect spells (+20%dmg to first lvl fire spells etc)affect fire spells from wands/scrolls/ gear? - No. Nothing affects wands/scrolls except the enhancement lines. It used to be that certain items would help out with wands/scrolls (Adherants pendant & cure wands) but thats long changed.

3)Another kind of stupid one- but I don't (usually) have to kill everything in a mission right? I've posted in the sorceres forums I keep getting killed while waiting for charm to wear off, but once the missions done I don't really have to wait around and kill whatvers left correct? - Some missions you do have to kill everything, and its always nice to get the extra XP for killing so many mobs, but no, generally speaking you dont have to wait around to kill the fella. Once the XP has been granted to you thats it, yer good to go.

I know you already got answers, but Im bored.

ArkoHighStar
08-21-2007, 11:37 AM
For #3 if you get the finish message, and the xp log sayes finish instead of recall, then you are done, there will be no more xp awarded except for optional encounters. A perfect example is sewer rescue where you can kill the cleric at the bottom of the ramp for an optional bonus. If you kill him before you talk to the girl and finish the quest, his death will be added to the kill count and you will get the optional xp. If you kill him after you finish the quest your kill count will not go up, but you will still get the optional encounter bonus xp.

jkm
08-21-2007, 12:02 PM
if you are on khyber ping felice. i'll send you some coin and some sorc items.

Khurse
08-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Again thanks all- guess it'll kinda of depend on my class.
I can see having my fighters walk around and find every last thing they can kill, my sorcerer is simply going to run screaming like a little girl from point A- point B though, until he gets to 6th or seventh level.
(Then he'll cast fireball and run screaming)
<no offence intended towards any little girls>

@ Beherit- lol..glad I brightened someones day, yes I'm on Argon, but no worries (thanks though) (same to everyone who offered)
I assume I'll actually make millions of my own someday, then look back at this and wonder why I was concerend about such a small sum.
Besides-I'm sure the loss builds character or something

Now- new question
(what a week)

Logged in today and noticed my dwarf didn't have his returning throwing axe (which is-btw- probably my favourite weapon in the game so far- damn throwing that thing over and over again amuses me,especially on normal where he can kill a kobold each hit)
Now I'm 99.9999 sure I didn't sell it by accident, and I know I didn't transfer it to anyone else.
Does stuff occasionally get wiped in this game? Has it been know to happen or is this a case of I must have actually done something with it.
(ie I somehow did sell it by accident..maybe I just like clicking buttone to much)

Again by no means a game breaking thing, just curious. Sent a note to the GM but then logged out and they (were very nice but) said they couldn't help as I logged out.

Also had some corruption issues on my systems HD this morning, just wondering if (in some weird way) that could have something to do with it.
(I don't see how but...)

Beherit_Baphomar
08-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Yes. Stuff disappears. In fact I recently traded a wounding of puncturing bow for a wounding of puncturing shortsword for a guildie and he had it all of 30 minutes before it disappeared. He contacted a GM and they eventually told him they couldnt reproduce what happened so they couldnt 'refund' his multimillion gold piece shortsword...made me so mad.

EDIT; Oh but that said thats the first and only time Ive ever heard of stuff disappearing, well wait, one more time was a lil Wiz I was running with had a +5 Greataxe of righteousness disappear on him...so it does happen, but very, very infrequently imo.

Khurse
08-21-2007, 12:42 PM
multi- million?

Well now I feel kinda silly complaining to the GM's about my 2k axe..

Anyway-Thanks! Good to know it does happen so that's it's possible I didn't pull two completely bonehead moves in the same day. :D

PurdueDave
08-21-2007, 01:05 PM
multi- million?

Well now I feel kinda silly complaining to the GM's about my 2k axe..

Anyway-Thanks! Good to know it does happen so that's it's possible I didn't pull two completely bonehead moves in the same day. :D

Make sure and lock your items (with the little lock icon in the corner). It's real easy to sell or discard stuff by mistake.

Lewcipher
08-21-2007, 02:27 PM
I had +2 Elven Chain disappear out of my lowbies inventory after they did the 4.0 upgrade. DM's pretty much said tough doo

The_Cataclysm
08-21-2007, 02:39 PM
I had an Adoryn's Malice disappear on me once. Inbetween getting it and the forge and going to mail it to my after the raid was complete it disappeared.

Citymorg
08-21-2007, 03:50 PM

Newbie Q&A nothing is stupid here, this is the place to post stupid questions without feeling stupid

3)Another kind of stupid one- but I don't (usually) have to kill everything in a mission right? I've posted in the sorceres forums I keep getting killed while waiting for charm to wear off, but once the missions done I don't really have to wait around and kill whatvers left correct?

As posted before there are XP bonuses for kill as few as possible and getting "conquest/aggression" etc. Anything you kill after the madatory objetives are complete will not increase your bonus. What I wanted to add: If you charm/summon/suggest creatures in a dungeon, when you leave they release and will attack other party members that may be left behind

Again thanks all- guess it'll kinda of depend on my class.
ILogged in today and noticed my dwarf didn't have his returning throwing axe (which is-btw- probably my favourite weapon in the game so far- damn throwing that thing over and over again amuses me,especially on normal where he can kill a kobold each hit)
Now I'm 99.9999 sure I didn't sell it by accident, and I know I didn't transfer it to anyone else.
Does stuff occasionally get wiped in this game? Has it been know to happen or is this a case of I must have actually done something with it.
(ie I somehow did sell it by accident..maybe I just like clicking buttone to much)

Again by no means a game breaking thing, just curious. Sent a note to the GM but then logged out and they (were very nice but) said they couldn't help as I logged out.

Also had some corruption issues on my systems HD this morning, just wondering if (in some weird way) that could have something to do with it.
(I don't see how but...)

This does happen, but it is much rarer than say the falling bug. Most of the time this turns out to be a mistake made by the player, but not always.

Lewcipher
08-21-2007, 04:26 PM
I have sold things on accident, but I remember this one distinctly, as I had just gotten my lvl 2 rogue the +2 elven chain mail the day before the update. Put it on him, and then the next day they did the 4.0 update. Log in the day after the update and my toon shows up on the character screen naked! I'm like "whiskey tango foxtrot"? That's the only item i've lost that way though. Just hope it doesn't happen to a paralyzer or disruptor.

MrWizard
08-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Do GM's/Support generally track and fix this or am I out of luck (and cursing my stupidity).
You are SOL, if you are on xoriat..oops, thelanis, look up devestate or dreadreaper and I will help you out...if on argo, look up dreadreaper

Now on to the others..

Dunno

2) Do rings/skills/whatever that effect spells (+20%dmg to first lvl fire spells etc)affect fire spells from wands/scrolls/ gear?
no

To complete a dungeon, you only have to do the objectives NOT listed as 'optional' in the little screen in the upper right of your monitor. Killing everything is usually something people do to spend a LOT more time in a dungeon to get a few percent more xp. It is called conquest. Conquest will get you a bonus of 25% of the base XP...which is 10% more than onslaught at 15%....so in a base 2000 quest, the extra time will net you about 200 xp....which can be lost by simply dying once. I suggest just calling out when it is done and completed to save xp.

You are not stupid. This game is a bit much for newer peoples and not very good in the complete instructions part (heck, the manual only goes to level 12 stuff and we are at 14 for gosh sake)...

Just have fun, look for newer people like you to adventure with, and find a good guild where people are more like your temperment and remember to have fun..this is a game.

tihocan
08-22-2007, 09:10 AM
I never got any item to disappear on me. One thing to do to prevent accidental mistakes is to systematically use the lock system on all your items. Also avoid messing with items (mail/bank) when you notice a lot of server lag.

Beherit_Baphomar
08-22-2007, 11:16 AM
I had an Adoryn's Malice disappear on me once. Inbetween getting it and the forge and going to mail it to my after the raid was complete it disappeared.

You know what Cataclysm, my guildies WoP shortsword disappeared after the Titan raid too.......hmmm....interesting.