PDA

View Full Version : Permadeath guilds and their setup

Lethelyn
08-20-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm new to the concept of permadeath (to a point, I realize it's a "if you die and your cleric can't raise, TFB kinda deal) but I was wondering if any of you had any way of regulating what counts as a "death". My friends and I are thinking of starting up a perma death group, and I've been sitting here (as usual) thinking up "What if" scenarios.

I mean, I wouldn't say it's a fair "death" if, say... the cleric LD's. Or, what if someone aggros a huge mob and drags it back while some people are AFK?
I realize I'm probably worrying needlessly, but our group is a bunch of Zergers. Yes, going to this form of play will likely be difficult (to an extent)

Anyways, as I've said, I'm mostly looking for pointers/how some of the permadeath guilds regulate it and what kind of rules (if any) they have about what constitutes a legit "death"

Thanks in advance for any insight you might offer :)

Beherit_Baphomar
08-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Check out the Sublime...lemme see if I can getcha a link.

LINKAGE! (http://thesublimeguild.net/forums/)

They have the rules posted on that website somewhere. Of course, permadeth is more a personal play choice rather than hard, fast rules.

Lethelyn
08-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks a bunch Beherit. :)

Spakerman
08-20-2007, 02:44 PM
I have to say that this appeals to me.

Think I'll be rolling up a char on Thelanis tonight.

parvo
08-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi,
I'm a long-time Sublime player and founder of the new Mortal Voyage Permadeath Guild.

Each guild may have particulars but the way we've played it, death is death. Lag deaths count. AFK deaths count. Falling off a bridge to your death in a city counts. The only deaths that don't count are known bug deaths, of which there are few. With large active guilds, that is the only fair way to do it. However, dedicated groups could easily for a group consensus in any given case.

If you're interested in the other rules look up Sublime of Thelains, Extreme Explorers of Sarlona or check out Mortal Voyage here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=117297

Lethelyn
08-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.

Spakerman
08-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Had fun on Thelanis last night. Running through Durk's on hard as a level 1 who is actually afraid to die was a LOTof fun. Got held by a shaman and thought it was all over... survived thankfully. Would have been embarrassing to not even make it to level 2 :)

Thanks guys for the invite. see you on again soon.

Sojourner
08-23-2007, 11:13 AM
but I was wondering if any of you had any way of regulating what counts as a "death".

In general, 3 types of death rules for a PD guild:

Death = dead. No shrines, no 'raise dead' spells/scrolls/rings/etc. This is pretty hardcore, not sure there is anyone out there running under these rules.
No Shrines. Using cleric spells, scrolls, rez items, etc is ok. But the DDO 'rez shrines' are out. There are also two sub-variants to this rule:
Run get the cleric!! As long as it isn't a party wipe, and there is a rezzing cleric in the guild that someone can run get, you can go get him.
No cleric in the party = out of luck. This variant is probably the most common set of PD guild rules. Doesn't matter if there is a rezzing cleric in the guild or not. If he isn't down in the mission with the party, he doesn't count.
No party wipes. As long as there is one party member alive that can drag your sorry carcasses to the exit, it is assumed he can find someone outside to rez you. This is kind of "PD-Lite".

Those are just the 'death' rules.

On top of that there are usually rules about how to handle the dead person's possessions:
All items a traded to party members
All items are passed down to your new character
Most items are given to party members, but a limited number (usually 1 or 2 items) can be passed to your new character as an 'heirloom'

How to handle teaming and levelling
You can only team with guild members
You can only team with other permadeath players
You can team with anyone, but must abide by the death rules
You can team with others in order to level up to a certain level, but after that teaming is restricted. Usually:
You can team upto the level of the other guildes. ie - speed level to 4 or 5 or whatever they're at and then join them.
You can team upto a set level or area, then you're under teaming rules. ie - you may be able to team with anyone until you hit level 3. Or until you're ready to do market missions.

Usually once you decide how your guild runs, there is only 2 or 3 rules for you to play by and they're pretty simple. Don't want to make PD guilds sound rule heavy, just trying to show some of the various options.

Lethelyn
08-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Again, thanks for the feedback. Much Appreciated :)

deepshadow
08-23-2007, 03:47 PM
My guild has a small Permadeath group.

Here's a link to our rules.

http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=72855&TabID=916688&Article=22041#Library