PDA

View Full Version : Rogue/Ranger Multi-Classing

Findecano
08-20-2007, 01:56 AM
Hi all,

I am looking to build a Rogue/Ranger combo. This is what I am looking to do be able to do.

* Detect and Disarm Traps
* Pick locks
* Detect secret doors
* Hide and Sneak
* Deal ranged DPS with a Bow

What would you all suggest? I also like the idea of being able to use divine spells.

binnsr
08-20-2007, 09:26 AM
There are a lot of successful characters who are 1rog/13rgr or 3rog/11rgr that I've seen.
Take Rogue at 1st level (and 9 and 14 if going 3rog)
Max DD/OL/Search/Spot (Since you want to be sneaky, be sure to put points into Hide and Move Silently)
For a 28-point build, I would go 10 / 18 / 12 / 14 / 10 / 10 and make him a halfling
For a 32-point build, I would go 12 / 18 / 12 / 14 / 12 / 10 and keep him halfling
For a Drow, I would go 12 / 18 / 10 / 16 / 12 / 10

You shouldn't have any issues with any but a few elite end-game traps.
By taking almost all ranger levels, you'll get a lot of your important archery feats for free.
For feats, I would take:
1 (rog) Nimble Fingers
2 (rgr) favored enemy: reptiles (switch this to undead before leaving the harbor)
3 (rgr) weapon finesse
4 (rgr)
5 (rgr)
6 (rgr) Weapon Focus: Ranged Weapons / Favored Enemy: Giant
(you could take Skill Focus: UMD here if you wanted - would put you closer to no-fail rez scrolls)
7 (rgr)
8 (rgr)
9 (rgr or rog) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons
10 (rgr)
11 (rgr)
12 (rgr) Improved Critical: Piercing Weapons
13 (rgr)
14 (rgr or rog)

(Your third favored enemy will depend on how many rog levels you take, I would take FE:Abberation or FE:Evil Outsider - and remember, that you can switch these out with dragonshards if you find that you're not liking it)

Roguewiz
08-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Bow Ranger? Ranged DPS sucks in general. Sure, Rangers make the best bow user, but that is for 20 seconds every two minutes. It is everything in-between that makes it suck, especially if you take into account that 10-12 strength sucks for Bow Strength.

For Drow:
Also, 14 INT is more than adequate to peform the functions of a Rogue. Rogues get 8+INT per level, and Rangers get 6+INT per level.

14 INT and 16 DEX, use the points you save and put them into Strength, if you really want to ranged DPS that is.

For 32pt Halfling:
Same thing for the most part, drop dex to 16 and instead of INT (which is already 14), I'd drop the 2 points of wisdom and raise Strength with whatever is left over.

WeiQuinn
08-20-2007, 02:25 PM
I just unlocked 32-pt builds so I deleted my 28-pt Ranger/Rogue and rerolled him.

I went with these stats:
STR 14
DEX 17
CON 10
INT 14
WIS 12
CHA 9

as for feats:

Dodge, Mobility
Weapon Finesse
Skill Focus: UMD
Improved Critical: Piercing
Improved Critical: Ranged

This character is definately a support character. I don't plan on him being a front line fighter.

Roguewiz
08-20-2007, 04:41 PM
As a support character, a Ranger/Rogue is decent, providing you have good status effect bows, like paralyzing and cursespewing (as an example)