PDA

View Full Version : Barb/Sorc Multi-Classing

Findecano
08-20-2007, 01:52 AM
I am looking to create an armored (light/med/hvy) melee/caster. I want to wield a 2-hander since a shield would hurt my spell chance and I don't need a shield hurting my spell chance when I already have armor doing that for me. Ideally, I would prefer to wear Heavy Armor or at least Med. armor, but the rules severely hamper my spell casting abillity in those armors. So I decided to roll a barbarian with a sorceror. I want sorceror, because I don't need an abundance of spells to choose from, plus I get more spell points.

This is what I am looking to be able to do with this character:

* Take a moderate amount of dmg in melee combat. I don't want to be the tank.
* Be a damage dealer with combined dmg from a 2-hander, touch dmg spells, and maybe some self enhancing spells.

What do you all suggest?

spifflove
08-20-2007, 02:03 AM
I am looking to create an armored (light/med/hvy) melee/caster. I want to wield a 2-hander since a shield would hurt my spell chance and I don't need a shield hurting my spell chance when I already have armor doing that for me. Ideally, I would prefer to wear Heavy Armor or at least Med. armor, but the rules severely hamper my spell casting abillity in those armors. So I decided to roll a barbarian with a sorceror. I want sorceror, because I don't need an abundance of spells to choose from, plus I get more spell points.

This is what I am looking to be able to do with this character:

* Take a moderate amount of dmg in melee combat. I don't want to be the tank.
* Be a damage dealer with combined dmg from a 2-hander, touch dmg spells, and maybe some self enhancing spells.

What do you all suggest?

I suggest the warforged warchanter.

Findecano
08-20-2007, 03:43 AM
Could you please explain what that is for a person who hasn't played since release.

Thank you

Casta
08-20-2007, 04:00 PM
The whole advantage to playing a barb is rage, but you can't cast while raging. Go fighter or paladin instead of barb if your really set on being a melee sorc, paladin would be better I think becouse the cha you use for casting gives you saves.

A paladin/sorc could work but you might be better off making a battle bard, iv seen some very good bards who can come close to my barbs kills in most quests they might even beat me if they didn't buff me.

moorewr
08-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Paladin/Sorcs seriously rock, but have to be very focused. My whole build was based around being able to survive all the Wall of Fire Aggro (armor, toughness, blur, etc), and it was quite the march to level 10 (2Pal/8Sorc) before I had Wall of Fire!

I'm quite interested in Battle Bards. May have to build one once I'm done leveling up my current batch...

The whole advantage to playing a barb is rage, but you can't cast while raging. Go fighter or paladin instead of barb if your really set on being a melee sorc, paladin would be better I think becouse the cha you use for casting gives you saves.

A paladin/sorc could work but you might be better off making a battle bard, iv seen some very good bards who can come close to my barbs kills in most quests they might even beat me if they didn't buff me.

Findecano
08-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Okay, I originally chose barb/sorc because barb is a heavy hitting light armor wearer and Sorc have fewer spells and more spell points. Since I don't need a plethora of spells, I figured a Sorc might be better. BUT I am open to suggestions, because I don't know DnD that well. I know what kind of class I want to play, but I DO NOT know which two classes can achieve that and how.

So far this is what I have suggested:

Battlebard- which is?
Fighter/Wizard- benefits over barb/sorc?
Pal/Sorc- better saves and both use char (this combo makes the most sense so far)

My question is what are the differences between a battlebard, a fighter/wizard, and a Pal/Sorc?

I stated this before, but will restate it. I want to be able to:

* Be a high Damage dealer in my group with the use of BOTH a 2-hander & Touch Spells and maybe some self enhancing spells.
* I DON'T want to TANK, BUT..
* I DO want to be able to take a hit, since I will be in the fray

To save you all from having to keep coming back to this post, but armor would you all suggest for all of those suggestions? Light armor for all or Light armor for those that can't wear higher?

I REALLY appreciate you all helping me here. Because I am have very little knowledge with DnD character building.

moorewr
08-21-2007, 07:04 AM
If you go wizard or sorcerer you'll want to take the Elven Arcane Fluidity Enhancements and use mithril or twilight armor to keep your Arcane Spell Failure down.

My Pal/Sorc has a decent, not great AC from twilight chain and a light mithril shield, and his ASF is 5%. Once you have displacement and blur, that will be your armor - you'll never get to 45+ AC with any of these builds.

At least, I certainly don't know how to. :)

My pal/sorc is a caster first, but I took one level of toughness, and he also melees. With such a low BAB you need a high plus weapon, a strength item, and to burn through a lot of greater heroism scrolls...

A WF combat build I've see a lot of is five levels of wizard for haste + blur, extend, and the rest fighter or paladin...

* Be a high Damage dealer in my group with the use of BOTH a 2-hander & Touch Spells and maybe some self enhancing spells.
* I DON'T want to TANK, BUT..
* I DO want to be able to take a hit, since I will be in the fray

To save you all from having to keep coming back to this post, but armor would you all suggest for all of those suggestions? Light armor for all or Light armor for those that can't wear higher?

moorewr
08-21-2007, 07:07 AM
Fighter/Wizard- benefits over barb/sorc?
Pal/Sorc- better saves and both use char (this combo makes the most sense so far)

Wizard > Sorc if you want lots of levels in your combat class. Wizards get more spells and get spell levels one level ahead of sorcs.

Fighter or Paladin > Barb because you can't cast while raged, and because...

Fighters get bonus feats, so do wizards; otherwise it is awfully hard to fit in the feats you need (even with the human bonus feat). You can really increase threat range, use tactics, etc with a fighter...

Paladins have awesome saves, and you can use clerical wands & scrolls...

RemoJr
08-21-2007, 09:09 AM
i think you may be looking for something along the line of this: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=115924

tihocan
08-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Just a small piece of advice: forget about armor. A 2H barbarian is not going to be able to reach any kind of decent AC with no shield, rage, no combat expertise, etc. Go for robes.

Tavok
08-21-2007, 05:44 PM
If you go wizard or sorcerer you'll want to take the Elven Arcane Fluidity Enhancements and use mithril or twilight armor to keep your Arcane Spell Failure down.

My Pal/Sorc has a decent, not great AC from twilight chain and a light mithril shield, and his ASF is 5%. Once you have displacement and blur, that will be your armor - you'll never get to 45+ AC with any of these builds.

At least, I certainly don't know how to. :)

My pal/sorc is a caster first, but I took one level of toughness, and he also melees. With such a low BAB you need a high plus weapon, a strength item, and to burn through a lot of greater heroism scrolls...

A WF combat build I've see a lot of is five levels of wizard for haste + blur, extend, and the rest fighter or paladin...

My WF wizard will have 47 AC. Granted that will be with CE on, but you can't cast spells while in tensers anyways, so I won't need to worry about accidently casting and turning CE off.

moorewr
08-21-2007, 06:05 PM
My WF wizard will have 47 AC. Granted that will be with CE on, but you can't cast spells while in tensers anyways, so I won't need to worry about accidently casting and turning CE off.

I see that with Tensers - otherwise you'd never hit anything, at least I wouldn't.

How did you get to 42 AC? That's some gear right there.

Tavok
08-21-2007, 07:16 PM
I see that with Tensers - otherwise you'd never hit anything, at least I wouldn't.

How did you get to 42 AC? That's some gear right there.

Mithral Body and +5 Mithral Heavy Steel Shield. 0% ASF with Lesser Arcane Sigil and enhancements.

10 Base
5 Body
5 Dex
5 Docent
7 Shield
4 Tenser's (Natural AC Bonus, so 3 from barkskin pot if no Tensers)
4 Protection Bonus (might be able to snag a +5, I've gotten a few more recently)
2 Dodge Bonus

Paladin aura and rangers barkskin and you are looking at a wizard with 53 AC, hard to complain :D. Not mention the possiblity of Chattering Ring... 56 AC on a wizard :D 57 with a +5 Protection Item. And again, ZERO ASF :D

Only draw back is that my version is a 28 point build so I was only able to start with 13 Dex, so its gonna cost me a tome and +6 item, but 32 pointers can easily make it to 20 dex with no problem.

And yes you are right. I won't be able to hit anything out of tensers, but thats why I will still have maxed Int so I can still be a perfectly acceptable caster, then fight mode when need be.

EDIT: 58 with dodge feat

EDIT2: If you get the belt thingy that gives +2 Max Dex, and you went dex based instead of str based like I did you could potentially look at 60 AC. Again, WIZARD :D

moorewr
08-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Ah! 20 Dex sure helps. I can only dream of a tome since my main has never pulled one! (several dragon and reaver raids later I have no raid items - so I'm pro Mod 5 :) )

I built on drow (I don't have 32-pt chars yet) and not that much was left over after my starting 20 CHA. My only other high stat is CON (14).

My version right now-
10 Body
8 Twilight Chain
6 Light Mithril Shield
1 Protection
3 Barkskin Pot
1 Haste

I can't wait to try tenser's - but I'm level 10 (2 Pal/8Sorc) so I'll have to wait on the scroll.

What.. *looks around at barbarian forum* are we Off Topic or something?

Mithral Body and +5 Mithral Heavy Steel Shield. 0% ASF with Lesser Arcane Sigil and enhancements.

10 Base
5 Body
5 Dex
5 Docent
7 Shield
4 Tenser's (Natural AC Bonus, so 3 from barkskin pot if no Tensers)
4 Protection Bonus (might be able to snag a +5, I've gotten a few more recently)
2 Dodge Bonus

Paladin aura and rangers barkskin and you are looking at a wizard with 53 AC, hard to complain :D. Not mention the possiblity of Chattering Ring... 56 AC on a wizard :D 57 with a +5 Protection Item. And again, ZERO ASF :D

Only draw back is that my version is a 28 point build so I was only able to start with 13 Dex, so its gonna cost me a tome and +6 item, but 32 pointers can easily make it to 20 dex with no problem.

EDIT: 58 with dodge feat

Tavok
08-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Ah! 20 Dex sure helps. I can only dream of a tome since my main has never pulled one! (several dragon and reaver raids later I have no raid items - so I'm pro Mod 5 :) )

I built on drow (I don't have 32-pt chars yet) and not that much was left over after my starting 20 CHA. My only other high stat is CON (14).

My version right now-
10 Body
8 Twilight Chain
6 Light Mithril Shield
1 Protection
3 Barkskin Pot
1 Haste

I can't wait to try tenser's - but I'm level 10 (2 Pal/8Sorc) so I'll have to wait on the scroll.

What.. *looks around at barbarian forum* are we Off Topic or something?

Whats your Dex? Assuming your a drow you can get pretty decent Dex. So how about this

10 Body
9 +5 Mithral Chain Shirt
6 Max Dex
6 +5 Light Mithral Shield
4 Protection
3 Barkskin Potion
2 Dodge Bonus
1 Paladin Aura

EDIT: lol, barbarian forum but talking about battlemage builds lol