PDA

View Full Version : Elf Ranger/Paladin attempt

Auran82
08-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Trying to put together a build for a 11/3 Elven Ranger/Paladin ranged and TWF Finesse build.

Starting stats are as follows:
Str 13
Dex 18
Con 12
Wis 13
Int 8
Cha 14

Will be eating a +1 Tome for all stats other than Int.

Ending stats as follows:
Str 18 (+1 Tome, +4 item or above)
Dex 34 (+3 from levels, +2 from tome, +6 Item, +5 from enhancements)
Con 18 (+1 Tome, +5 item)
Wis 14+ (+1 Tome and whatever item I can find)
Int 8
Cha 22 (+1 Tome, +1 Enhancement, +6 item)

Skills I was mainly putting into Balance, Listen and some into Tumble, swim, Concentration, also trying to get UMD to 20 for RR items, taking Ranger Skill enhancement for this as well.

Feats as follows: (not sure about the weapon focus feats, must be something better)
Level 1: Weapon Finesse
Level 3: WF Ranged
Level 6: WF Piercing
Level 9: Improved Crit Ranged
Level 12:Improved Crit Piercing

Favored enemies: (subject to change)
Level 1: Undead
Level 5: Evil Outsiders
Level 10: Giants

Main enhancements are:
Ranger Dex 3
Elf Dex 2
Paladin Cha 1
Favored enemy Attack, Damage and resistance
Ranger Skill Boost 4
Ranger Spell points 2
Paladin Aura boosting enhancements

Any thoughts would be appreciated for this. Ask any questions about what I am trying to do with this char.

Tavok
08-19-2007, 10:49 PM
One of the best survival builds out there. With the except of the low HP, your AC, saves, and combat abilities are great. Although I would recommend dropping both WF and picking up something more useful. Your to-hit will be great, so I would recommend Power Attack and either extend or mental toughness. Or Toughness. If you are gonna get MT or Extend though, make sure you take it at level 6, and have at least 4 levels of ranger or you won't be able to take it.

Auran82
08-19-2007, 10:58 PM
What levels are best to take my levels of Paladin?

With the WF feats I really had no idea what to take then, I might take Extend and either Toughness or Power attack and swap out extend once Mod 5 comes out cause the changes will make it not really worth my while to use extend.

Tavok
08-20-2007, 12:06 AM
What levels are best to take my levels of Paladin?

With the WF feats I really had no idea what to take then, I might take Extend and either Toughness or Power attack and swap out extend once Mod 5 comes out cause the changes will make it not really worth my while to use extend.

You are right about extend. My recommendations would to go 2 Ranger, then 2 Paladin, then 2 Ranger, so you end up 4/2 rng/pal at level 6 so you can take MT. From then on, it depends on what you want sooner, evasion/GTWF/other ranger feats, or the paladin bonuses you get from 3 levels of paladin. But yea I would definitely look into Power Attack and Mental Toughness, good choices IMO.

Riekan
08-20-2007, 08:39 AM
Get Toughness, Mental Touchness, and Extend. Drop the Weapon Focuses and one of the Improved Crits until after the cap raise (I'd wait on IC:Ranged). Power Critical is really nice too.

As for leveling, it really depends on what you want when. 11/3 is a great split at the current cap. 2 levels of Ranger get you TWF and Rapid shot, although 2 levels of Paladin get you Lay on Hands and your Charisma bonus to all saves through the aura. I'd probably go Ranger 1, then 2 levels of Paladin as I think the saves are more important than TWF that early, then Ranger 2-9. This will get you evasion. Then pick up Paladin 3 at 12 and put 13 & 14 into Ranger. This way, you get evasion early and still have the fear and disease immunities at or near when you are in the desert and in the higher level quests.

If you find you are getting feared all the time and don't want to buy remove fear potions, then take the 3rd level of Paladin earlier. In the long run it won't matter. You'll get to 14 and have everything. The first 4 levels go by so fast, I don't think you'll care which order you leveled.

samhuinn
08-20-2007, 09:03 AM
I built one of these a long time ago and think you are taking it the better direction. My guy ended up being 7/5/2 Pally/Rgr/Fghtr. He's got awesome saves, good AC and nice Attack Bonus. HP and Damage are a bit low though. I have often thought about rerolling him, going the TWF route like you but he's one of my first characters, and while he isn't uber by any means, he sure get's the job done. He is a blast to play, and just be prepared for lots of negative lvls when fighting beholders, 'cause unless you roll a 1 that's all they are gonna do to you.

Osharan_Tregarth
08-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Trying to put together a build for a 11/3 Elven Ranger/Paladin ranged and TWF Finesse build.

Starting stats are as follows:
Str 13
Dex 18
Con 12
Wis 13
Int 8
Cha 14

Will be eating a +1 Tome for all stats other than Int.
Looks like a reasonably decent stat breakdown

Ending stats as follows:
Str 18 (+1 Tome, +4 item or above)
Dex 34 (+3 from levels, +2 from tome, +6 Item, +5 from enhancements)
Con 18 (+1 Tome, +5 item)
Wis 14+ (+1 Tome and whatever item I can find)
Int 8
Cha 22 (+1 Tome, +1 Enhancement, +6 item)

Skills I was mainly putting into Balance, Listen and some into Tumble, swim, Concentration, also trying to get UMD to 20 for RR items, taking Ranger Skill enhancement for this as well.
You are going to have a very nice balance score already, just because of your dex bonus. I'd recommend splitting your points between balance and jump, to make sure you can hit the current limit on the jump skill when you are buffed.
I'm more of a fan of spot than listen, but with the next round of changes to listen, who knows which one will be better.
I've never really needed to cast in combat with my ranger, so I wouldn't get much use out of a concentration skill.
Feats as follows: (not sure about the weapon focus feats, must be something better)
Level 1: Weapon Finesse
Level 3: WF Ranged
Level 6: WF Piercing
Level 9: Improved Crit Ranged
Level 12:Improved Crit Piercing
I'd say dump the wf ranged and wf piercing. You aren't going to miss much at the higher levels. I'd tried toughness, and it really doesn't do that much without the enhancements to add some punch to it. Go with skill focus:umd, and maybe power attack for some added oooommph.

Favored enemies: (subject to change)
Level 1: Undead
Level 5: Evil Outsiders
Level 10: Giants

Main enhancements are:
Ranger Dex 3
Elf Dex 2
Paladin Cha 1
Favored enemy Attack, Damage and resistance
Ranger Skill Boost 4
Ranger Spell points 2
Paladin Aura boosting enhancements

Any thoughts would be appreciated for this. Ask any questions about what I am trying to do with this char.

My thoughts in red...