PDA

View Full Version : Ranger The Nut Cracker (Skwerl's build by request)

sigtrent
08-16-2007, 05:12 PM
From Sigtrent's Build Request Thread (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=117232)

Build Name:The Nut Cracker
Author: Sigfried Trent
Requester: Blind Skwerl
Last Updated:04/23/2010

Key Words [Ranger,TWF,Dwarf,DPS]

Objectives
The request was for a TWF dwarven dps machine with some self healing.

Design
I went with a pretty standard Tempest Ranger type set up, but I wanted this to really focus on DPS so strength is maxed out and dex is kept to 1pt raises. The two fighter levels help spread out the feats and give a little wiggle room in the design. They also add some dps through the haste boost and an extra point of strength. Tempest is especially easy on the AP so there was lots of room to crank up defensive values and damage against favored enemies. While its not a ranged attack focused build it can certainly handle a bow to good effect. Tempest takes one level longer than normal to get due to taking Oversized TWF early on. I think it helps smooth out the leveling curve.

The key to the build is high strength, lots of damage bonuses, very high attack rate, and speed bumps while maintaining a solid level of defense and durability. I think it would be very hard to go wrong with this build.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.34
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 Lawful Good Dwarf Male
(2 Fighter \ 18 Ranger)
Hit Points: 326
Spell Points: 252
BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
Fortitude: 18
Reflex: 15
Will: 7

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 18 24
Dexterity 14 18
Constitution 16 18
Intelligence 8 8
Wisdom 12 12
Charisma 6 6

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 19

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 4 18
Bluff -2 -2
Concentration 3 4
Diplomacy -2 -2
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle -2 -2
Heal 1 1
Hide 5 25
Intimidate -2 -2
Jump 8 30
Listen 1 1
Move Silently 5 24
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 -1
Search -1 1
Spot 5 22
Swim 4 7
Tumble 3 5
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Ranger)
Skill: Balance (+2)
Skill: Hide (+3)
Skill: Jump (+4)
Skill: Move Silently (+3)
Skill: Spot (+4)
Skill: Tumble (+1)
Feat: (Selected) Dodge
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Goblinoid

Level 2 (Ranger)
Skill: Balance (+0.5)
Skill: Hide (+1)
Skill: Jump (+1)
Skill: Move Silently (+1)
Skill: Spot (+1)

Level 3 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Oversized Two Weapon Fighting

Level 4 (Ranger)
Ability Raise: STR

Level 5 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Giant

Level 6 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Mobility

Level 7 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Spring Attack

Level 8 (Ranger)

Level 9 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 10 (Ranger)

Level 11 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead

Level 12 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 13 (Ranger)

Level 14 (Ranger)

Level 15 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 16 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider

Level 17 (Ranger)

Level 18 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons

Level 19 (Ranger)
Skill: Hide (+2)

Level 20 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Two Weapon Defense
Enhancement: Ranger Energy Resistence Boost I
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost I
Enhancement: Ranger Sprint Boost I
Enhancement: Ranger Sprint Boost II
Enhancement: Ranger Sprint Boost III
Enhancement: Dwarven Armor Mastery I
Enhancement: Dwarven Armor Mastery II
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Attack I
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Damage I
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Damage II
Enhancement: Dwarven Constitution I
Enhancement: Dwarven Constitution II
Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense I
Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense II
Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense III
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Racial Toughness III
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage I
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage II
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage III
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage IV
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Defense I
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Defense II
Enhancement: Ranger Tempest I
Enhancement: Ranger Tempest II
Enhancement: Ranger Tempest III
Enhancement: Ranger Devotion I
Enhancement: Ranger Devotion II
Enhancement: Ranger Energy of the Wild I
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity I
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity II
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity III
Enhancement: Fighter Strength I
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness I

Play
The character is pretty straight forward to play, although you always have the option of going with ranged attacks when you find it handy. Unlike many rangers you are unlikely to find yourself wearing robes. This build fits well into light armor due to the lack of attention to dex and the dwarven armor mastery. That doesn't make for an overall higher armor rating but it does give you a range of options without dinging your AC.

Variations
You could play around with the skills or favored enemies without really changing the build core. You could also mix and match some of the feats to do some tactics fighting or the like.

kendo
08-23-2007, 09:17 AM
sorry to nit pick, but doesn't favored enemy come at 1, 5 and 10 ?

Girevik
09-05-2007, 08:54 AM
And didn't you short yourself a Fighter Feat at Fighter Level 2 / Character Level 13?

sigtrent
09-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Indeed! Thanks guys, I've got that fixed up.

Fishy
11-09-2007, 11:03 AM
I'd like to use this build. I have +5 Mithral Full Plate. How can I modify this build to use this? What are the consequences if I take a fighter level earlier?

sigtrent
11-09-2007, 11:17 AM
I'd like to use this build. I have +5 Mithral Full Plate. How can I modify this build to use this? What are the consequences if I take a fighter level earlier?

Taking fighter earlier won't make much difference.

If you want to take full advantage or Mithral Full Plate you could go Fighter 3 Ranger 11 and take the Fighter Armor Mastery 1 enhancement to eek out another point of AC out of it. Alternately you could try and score the Daggertooth Belt which grants Fighter Armor mastery 2 and that would let you get your full dex out of the Mithral Full Plate.

The down side on all this is you don't get your evasion while wearing the FP (it's medium armor instead of light). That's not always much of a problem but its one of the abbilities some folks specificaly build for.

rpasell
11-09-2007, 11:22 AM
I would get rid of FE: Orcs and go with Undead, but nice build.

Fishy
11-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Sigtrent, Thanks for the build! I've made it to level 4 so far, and am having a blast.

But I don't understand a few things.

Dex:

14 starting
3 Ranger Dex
1 Tome
6 Item
==========
24 Final

But your Final Dex says "26". What am I missing?

Also, it seems that as a Ranger, I will automatically get Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting. Do I need a minimum dexterity to be able to actually receive the benefit from these feats?

Does Evasion only affect trap damage?

rpasell
11-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Also, it seems that as a Ranger, I will automatically get Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting. Do I need a minimum dexterity to be able to actually receive the benefit from these feats?

No.

Mad_Bombardier
11-15-2007, 10:22 AM

No.Correct for now. But, we don't know what will come in Mod6. We know we are getting Superior TWF, but do not know if it will be automatically granted to Rangers (it's a Turbine made up feat and therefore is not granted in PnP).

And yes, Evasion works on *most* traps.

sigtrent
11-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Sigtrent, Thanks for the build! I've made it to level 4 so far, and am having a blast.

But I don't understand a few things.

Dex:

14 starting
3 Ranger Dex
1 Tome
6 Item
==========
24 Final

But your Final Dex says "26". What am I missing?

Does Evasion only affect trap damage?

I think in this case I did make a mistake on the dex calculation. Not sure what I was thinking of at the time. I'll correct that. As a ranger you don't need to meet any of the prerequisites for the feats you get automaticaly.

Evasion works on any effect that gives you a reflex save to avoid damage. Mostly that tends to be traps and spells, but in D&D it sometimes includes things like rocks falling from the cieling or other environmental hazards that arn't technicaly traps. In DDO its mostly traps and area damage spells like fireball or flame strike. Poison traps tend to be gas clouds and have a fort save instead of reflexes so I'm not sure in DDO if those can be evaded, I havn't personaly tested it.

Ok, I made adjustments for the lower dex. I took Armor Mastery down one notch and put the points into Spell Defense, adjusted the combat and saves a bit to reflect that.

rpasell
11-15-2007, 10:34 AM
but in D&D it sometimes includes things like rocks falling from the cieling

What about Kobolds? :)

Fishy
11-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the help! Hit level 5 yesterday :)

sigtrent
11-16-2007, 11:55 AM
What about Kobolds? :)

No force in ddo can stop a Kobold empowered by gravity and lag forces!

sealman
08-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Just curious why you didn't go with the feats for tempest? You could drop mental toughness and quick draw without harming the build at all and gain some DPS and AC out of it?

I think the build is cool as is but after having the Tempest enhancement on a ranger of mine, (tempest-dragon build) I really never want to play my other TWF DPS toon that are without it.

BTW I really like the request a build thread and think you are doing a great job. I have really learned a lot from reading through the builds and the comments. TY

Blazer
08-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Just curious why you didn't go with the feats for tempest?

I think if you check the original post date for this thread, you'll have your answer, sir. ;)

dwensel7
08-27-2008, 03:24 PM
checked out this build and decided to delete one of my last 28pt builds to try it.. I LOVE IT!!!
just made level 9 and have 130 kills on an stormcleve elite run.. with duel wielding +3 Dwarven axes . I have to say this is the most fun i have had on a melee toon so far.. thanks for the great job you do on these builds.
update: he is at level 13 now and im totally enjoying him. swinging a Dwaven axe para/vorpal combo that is awesome. been soloing level 9 quests and having very little problem with it.
I did decide to change the build and get the tempest enhancment so i changed some of the feats at lvl 11 and up but so far he rocks. awesome dps. and great playability.
keep on rocking these wonderful builds
Update:
just made 16 last night. Im seriously loving this build. Pulled Tumbleweed from the Hound raid last night and that adds +2 to-hit to this already awesome build. have been soloing some level 10 and 11 quests and having no problems taking out anything i come across. great job!

GeorgeA
05-01-2010, 08:35 AM
The last post on this thread goes back to 2007. I would like to know what is the current status of this build? Is it still as viable as it seems to have been, does it still deliver high damage with high survivability?

Any info would very much appreciated.

kbkvothe
06-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Like GeorgeA I would also like the answer to that question.

Rydin_Dirtay
06-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Short answer, yes, it's still viable. Looks like sig has updated it for lev 20, too.

deathkid127
06-27-2010, 09:49 AM
If you want to take full advantage or Mithral Full Plate you could go Fighter 3 Ranger 11

yea because when i saw that i was like hmm lvl 14??? lol

Dustehh
06-29-2010, 06:00 PM
How would i do this build for a human, and do you think you could modify it for a 28 pt build? ;[

Rydin_Dirtay
06-30-2010, 01:59 PM
How would i do this build for a human, and do you think you could modify it for a 28 pt build? ;[

Human:

STR: 18
DEX: 14
CON: 14
INT: 8
WIS: 8
CHA: 8

With a +WIS item you will be able to cast every Ranger spell in the game.

Take the Human Adaptability: STR Enhancement, and all levelups in STR, and you'd easily surpass 30 STR mark, 32 with Ram's, 34 Raged. That's pretty solid for a Ranger.

Alternative Human:

STR: 17
DEX: 14
CON: 15
INT: 8
WIS: 9
CHA: 8

With the above stat distribution, you would not have an even STR score at high level, unless you found a +3 Tome (rare) or just used a +1 tome. The nice thing about Human is that you have the option of taking Human Adaptability: STR, to even out your STR score. With the above distribution, you would for sure take Greater Human Adaptability: CON, to push CON to 16 and open up the Human Racial Toughness III enhancement (which is a nice perk).

The leftover point goes to WIS 9 and would make it easier to use Ranger spells at lower level with a lesser +Wis item.

Dustehh
06-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks alot!!

NaturalHazard
06-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Doesnt evasion work on some hostile AOE spells? And another question do you lose your ranger bonus feats if you put on any armour other than light on? Like in p&p you lose them but not here?

Dustehh
06-30-2010, 08:44 PM
How would the enhancements go for human?

Rydin_Dirtay
07-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Doesnt evasion work on some hostile AOE spells?

Yes. You still need to maintain a decent Reflex save though, for Evasion to be useful.

And another question do you lose your ranger bonus feats if you put on any armour other than light on? Like in p&p you lose them but not here?

No, you do not lose any Ranger bonus feats (TWF,ITWF, Manyshot etc.) if you wear armor other than light.

You're thinking of Evasion I think. Light armor is needed iirc. Also encumbrance must be (light), can't remember off the top of my head, but you can look up the Evasion feat on the wiki, it tells all.

Rydin_Dirtay
07-01-2010, 04:58 PM
How would the enhancements go for human?

Similar to what Sig has for the Dwarf. Enhancements are so easily changeable that is not a big issue. Respec if you want. It also depends on what you want your Ranger to be.

What would I take with Sig's 18/2 build on a human?

All the FE (Favored Enemy) enhancements, especially:
Favored Damage I, II, III, and IV.
Favored Resistance I, II and preferably III if I had the ap's
Favored Attack I, and II if I could spare it
Human Adaptability: STR (make sure your STR score is even)
Greater Human Adaptability: CON (opens up Human Racial Toughness III)
Ranger Sprint Boost I (any more is probably not a good use of AP's)
Ranger DEX I, II (III is optional but do it if you need to even out your DEX score)
Tempest I, II, III
Human Versatility I (or maybe not at all -- see notes below)

I tend to *not* select
Ranger Item Defense
Ranger elemental resistances
Ranger Skill Boost (** UNLESS I am investing in UMD or Rogue skills. Then I take this important boost. Also on human, you may as well take Human Versatility).

Again, this is all off the top of my head, I am not on my DDO machine or at the planner to look at this.

I urge you to download Ron's Character Planner, and you can play around with your AP's on your build.

sacredguyver
07-02-2010, 11:17 PM
How would this build change because of the changes to Two Weapon Fighting in Update 5?

Also, I've heard that a Tempest 2/Kensei 1 build surpasses this one on DPS, is that true?

Tumatauenga
08-30-2010, 07:51 AM
ok i reallly like this build but kind of want to substitute somethings and was wondering how it would work out.

28 point build (tomes later i hope) with a drow elf or regular elf so i guess it would be more finesse based, but i like the idea of ranger 18 / twf fighter 2.

any ideas?

Rydin_Dirtay
09-02-2010, 05:41 PM
ok i reallly like this build but kind of want to substitute somethings and was wondering how it would work out.

28 point build (tomes later i hope) with a drow elf or regular elf so i guess it would be more finesse based, but i like the idea of ranger 18 / twf fighter 2.

any ideas?

On a Tempest Ranger, go STR based. You won't regret it, especially as a newer player.

DEX based, you might regret it, unless you've got solid AC gear already banked. We Rangers don't get Sneak Attack damage dice like rogues do. That's one reason why DEX based on a melee Ranger doesn't play as well with us.

nickyroos
10-05-2012, 04:36 AM
only thing i regret is having lower dex. unfortunately i cant change. anyway where can i chuck in khopesh??

conanj77
10-10-2012, 05:28 AM
only thing i regret is having lower dex. unfortunately i cant change. anyway where can i chuck in khopesh??

If you will check back, do your two fighter levels in a row (1-6ranger-7-8fighter-9-20Ranger-21-25epic)
Then take khopesh at level 8, instead of getting two weapon defense at level... whatever the 2nd fighter level was.