PDA

View Full Version : Is 2 lvl of barb good for a rog?

redraider
08-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Have a 10/2 Rog/Rgr and not sure what to do with the last two levels. I can hit every trap and lock in the game already, so more rog seems pointless. I won't get anything big from Rgr with 2 more lvls. Ftr would give me some feats. Would 2 lvl's of Barbarian make any sense? I see that most dex based skills are excluded when raged. Does that include weapon finnese? My rog/rgr is melee rather than ranged and rage seems like a good thing unless it screws up my weapon finnesse. Or would 2 lvl's of Bard make more sense.

Help me understand...

skraus1
08-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Barb 2 would only give you 1 point of dr and 2 rages of 1.5 minutes a pop. If it was a ranged toon, you might appreciate the speed bonus, but you're a finesse twfer I believe and already pump out a good bit of damage.

You'd probably be better off in fighter.

Sojourner
08-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Yeah, barbs are a class that don't lend well to splashing into builds.

I would say either

-- add more ranger so you have the skill points to keep upping your rogue skills, a couple extra HPs, couple more points of BaB, and the ability to cast a level 1 ranger spell

OR

-- add more rogue for more skillpoints, an extra d6 to sneak attack damage, skill IV rogue enhancements

OR

-- add fighter if there was a feat you _really_ wanted, or wanted a couple of the level 1 fighter enhancements (critical accuracy I, item defense I, fighter strength I)

I would probably stick with the rogue levels since multiclassing more than a splash level or two rarely helps you more than it hurts you. But, rogues are one of the classes that can do it.

Shade
08-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Uhh.. Never triple class unless your an absolute expert and know exactly what your doing, if you even have to ask do not do it ever.

Definetely go rogue the last 2 levels. You will gain all the same BAB vs going ranger or barbarian, and a good boost to your saves.

No third class will provide anything exceedingly usefulls to that build.

Barb 1 does give you 10% run speed and sprint boosts I, which are great.. But really not worth the hit in your skills and and enhancements. (You should already have sprint boost from the ranger levels anyways)

sigtrent
08-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Well... I have almost that exact character...

Rogue 10 (9 at the moment) / ranger 2 / barbarain 2

I like the character a lot, but I can't say that the Barbarian levels add a ton to the character.. but here is what it is good for...

#1: Extra HP, not a big thing but I get an extra con and compared to rogue, quite a few HP (not so much compared to fighter level alternatives)

#2: Speed. Barbarian fast movement is kind of nice, but not functionaly important.

#3: Rage. You get two ranges. While not amazing, it does come in handy. For me the main thing is it lets me flip levers in VON 5 and the like. The extra HP have also saved me once or twice. I use them fairly often for that extra combat boost and then use a wand to get rid of the fatigue afterwards.

All in all.. I recomend Fighter if you have some feats you want, but I don't especialy regret the barbarian levels, they add something unusual to my character and they certainly don't detract in any way.

llevenbaxx
08-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Im kinda glad I picked up a level of barb on my rogue(currently rog9/ftr3/barb1 to be rog11/ftr4/barb1 after next cap). That extra speed is far from trivial imo. It helps when sneaking, getting to the casters if the first contact melees fail to and with a nice striding item and speed boost or haste clickie you can really get out of(or into:)) a bad situation quickly. The character is fun and successful, thats usually as far as I care to critique my builds.

I dont think MC is as bad as all the min/maxers seem to think, you just have to highlight the bonuses you gain by it while making sure you can cover up any weaknesses it may create. With all the crazy epuipment out there, its quite easy really.

Maldini
08-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Barb 2 would only give you 1 point of dr and 2 rages of 1.5 minutes a pop. If it was a ranged toon, you might appreciate the speed bonus, but you're a finesse twfer I believe and already pump out a good bit of damage.

You'd probably be better off in fighter.

It would also give him another charge of Uncanny Dodge.

Jaywade
08-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Uhh.. Never triple class unless your an absolute expert and know exactly what your doing, if you even have to ask do not do it ever.

Definetely go rogue the last 2 levels. You will gain all the same BAB vs going ranger or barbarian, and a good boost to your saves.

No third class will provide anything exceedingly usefulls to that build.

Barb 1 does give you 10% run speed and sprint boosts I, which are great.. But really not worth the hit in your skills and and enhancements. (You should already have sprint boost from the ranger levels anyways)

he may be right one thing here is your can you go barb??? if you are lawfull you cannot....... now is you are lawfull good I go 2 lvls of pally...if you use umd I bet you have a decent cha, which will improve your saves, let you use up to cure serious wands give you 1 lay on hands 1 to your ac, ....good friend of mine has a 10/2/2 rogue/ranger/pally drow ....mosty a ranged toon but with his high cha 26 or so and his 30 dex his reflex is in the 30's ....that is kinda of neat

Gennerik
08-22-2007, 07:40 PM
You might as well take Wizard levels to get Expeditious Retreat. Honestly, that would also give you Shield/Nightshield and Mage Armor, which can be useful if you fight with two weapons and wear a robe to max out your Dex bonus. But to your initial question, I wouldn't put two levels into Barbarian. I sometimes want to cry because I didn't put 2 levels into Barbarian. The more the better for a Barbarian.

Maldini
08-22-2007, 07:44 PM
The only good thing about Barb is that the movement speed stacks with everything. So having 30% striders is like having 40% striders - you basically run as fast as people with haste. Having the sprint boost stacks with everything too.

spifflove
08-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Barbarian speed is the 3rd best feat in the game, behind evasion and divine grace, imho.

Tavok
08-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Barbarian speed is the 3rd best feat in the game, behind evasion and divine grace, imho.

Toughness as a dwarf is hard to argue. Potential of an extra 116 HP is pretty nice IMO :P

spifflove
08-23-2007, 01:25 AM
Toughness as a dwarf is hard to argue. Potential of an extra 116 HP is pretty nice IMO :P

Quit pleading for nerfs in the game! =>