PDA

View Full Version : More Questions

Khurse
08-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Hi all

Have a few more

1) Do different weapons (ie dagger,greatsword) have different weapon speeds in the gam? I'd assume so but I can't find a list anywhere

2) Does DR from Warforged feats and Shields stack?

3) Can anyone use potions? I tried a Dwarf fighter, at lvl 2 when running him through a dungeon I repeatedly drank shield of faith potionss, no icon appeared and I didn't notice any change to my AC- do I need to have cleric levels to drink them or is it something else?

4) (This may be more of an opinion- I mean it as a question)
Is there somthing I'm missing about not posting a "buy out" on the bazaar?
I realize for some high level/expensive items you wouldn't want to take any less than you could possibly get, but is there a benefit to having a 3 day auction for (as an example)a +1 Longsword ?

Thanks as always for any help!

Symar-FangofLloth
08-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Hi all

Have a few more

1) Do different weapons (ie dagger,greatsword) have different weapon speeds in the gam? I'd assume so but I can't find a list anywhere

3) Can anyone use potions? I tried a Dwarf fighter, at lvl 2 when running him through a dungeon I repeatedly drank shield of faith potionss, no icon appeared and I didn't notice any change to my AC- do I need to have cleric levels to drink them or is it something else?

I realize for some high level/expensive items you wouldn't want to take any less than you could possibly get, but is there a benefit to having a 3 day auction for (as an example)a +1 Longsword ?

1 It appears so, but nothing has ever been said. It's not much of a difference, if there really is one anyway.
2 DR does not stack, but when shield blocking if your shield has DR I hear it helps increase the blocking DR. Only the best DR applies in the situation.
3 Anyone can. I'm not sure what happened, except sometimes, if you move just right, it will cancel things like that. Using wands and scrolls requires levels of the class or Use Magic Device, potions don't
4 Buyouts are a debated issue. On the one hand, having a buyout means if someone really wants it they can get it right away, and you get your money right away, but on the other hand not having a buyout could get you more money from it. Generally they're good to have a buyout on, unless it is a very rare or sought after item, then I'd say let the bidding wars begin. But that's my opinion.

Aranticus
08-16-2007, 12:36 AM
3 Anyone can. I'm not sure what happened, except sometimes, if you move just right, it will cancel things like that. Using wands and scrolls requires levels of the class or Use Magic Device, potions don't

sounds like he had the char sheet or inventory up when he drank the pot and it did not refresh or the pot duration ran out (sof pot is 1 min)

Pinksock
08-16-2007, 01:44 AM
Hi all

Have a few more

1. From what I understand the speed of the animation makes no difference as each player gets a set amount of attacks per round so as long as you are attacking the roll is made. Wether this is true or not is a question for Turbine.

2. In most cases DR does not stack. So an adamantite shield's DR would not stack with a Warforged's Adamantite plating DR. One of the few times DR stacks is when you are "blocking". When you block with a shield, your DR is increased by the block value of the shield, plus enhancement bonus.

3. The problem I believe you might be experiencing is that the magic of the potion is not applicable to you as you already have an equal or greater effect present. From memory, Shield of Faith grants a "Deflection" addition to AC. A sheild (worn on the arm type) is also "deflection" AC. If you were wearing a shield that has a AC equal to or greater than the effect the potion would have, then the potion will have no effect.
In general, remember these two things. Read all items for what type of bonus they apply. Bonuses of the same type do not stack (unless stated otherwise).

4. Everyone has their own way of using the Auction House. Personally I agree with you and cannot understand why anyone would list a fairly common item like a +1 longsword without a buyout. However, understanding how to best use an auction house does take time and many are still new to them. I was confused with it them when I started MMO's.

Hope that Helps

SteeleTrueheart
08-16-2007, 07:26 AM
Further to #3. Shield of faith provides a 'deflection' bonus to AC (as previously mentioned) this is the same as the type of bonus as a protection item gives. (Ring of protection etc) Perhaps you were wearing a protection item that was the same value as your shield of faith potion?

Just a side note, shields provide a 'shield' type of bonus to AC and shield of faith potion provides a 'deflection' type of bonus. These two different types of AC bonus stack, a little confusing since it has shield in the spell name.

If you want to learn more of the rules of DnD feel free to follow this link: http://www.d20srd.org/

I am guessing you are a SWG player (you said bazaar instead of auction house). Welcome and I hope you enjoy this game. From a fellow SWG player.

If you are on Khyber feel free to look up any member of the Stormreach Thieves Guild and we will be happy to welcome you to DDO. (Pinksock especially)

dmitri
08-16-2007, 07:58 AM
3. The problem I believe you might be experiencing is that the magic of the potion is not applicable to you as you already have an equal or greater effect present. From memory, Shield of Faith grants a "Deflection" addition to AC. A sheild (worn on the arm type) is also "deflection" AC. If you were wearing a shield that has a AC equal to or greater than the effect the potion would have, then the potion will have no effect.
In general, remember these two things. Read all items for what type of bonus they apply. Bonuses of the same type do not stack (unless stated otherwise).

Shields are not a "deflection bonus" to AC, a Ring or Necklace or Cloak of Protection is a "deflection bonus". Shields are a "shield bonus" to AC.

Khurse
08-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks all- not sure about the Dwarf, don't think he has anything that would qualify.. but I probably just missed something.

Couple more
~ When do the brokers restock/replenish?
Noticed some armour I was interested in on one last night, forgot to pick it up, looked before work this morning and he didn't have it (Or much of anything really).

~ Is it possible to see what another character is wearing without having to bother them? I've seen a couple of low levels using cool looking weapons or armour, but don't really want to go around asking "hey what are you wearing?"
The "Z" key just seems to tell me who they are, not what their gear is.

PurdueDave
08-16-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks all- not sure about the Dwarf, don't think he has anything that would qualify.. but I probably just missed something.

Couple more
~ When do the brokers restock/replenish?
Noticed some armour I was interested in on one last night, forgot to pick it up, looked before work this morning and he didn't have it (Or much of anything really).

~ Is it possible to see what another character is wearing without having to bother them? I've seen a couple of low levels using cool looking weapons or armour, but don't really want to go around asking "hey what are you wearing?"
The "Z" key just seems to tell me who they are, not what their gear is.
The brokers clear pretty fast. If you see something you want, buy it then.

No. For armor though, not all regular +X armor looks the same (one suit of +2 full plate might look cool, another might not). For weapons the "glowy" effect is kind of color coded (true chaos/anarchic, holy/pure good, fire, acid, etc.)

hannika
08-16-2007, 10:53 AM
brokers clear if no one is in their instance for 5 minutes. so you can see something you want, go sell somethign to make some money and come back to buy it, but you better do it with in five minutes, or hope there are ppl coming in and out behind you.

Delzon
08-16-2007, 12:37 PM
One thing for potions not mentioned and I don't think for your case this was it, but some potions are level restricted. So if it was a +3 shield of faith potion (guessing for my post) restricted to level 5 and your only 3rd level it wont let you drink it.

Pinksock
08-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Shields are not a "deflection bonus" to AC, a Ring or Necklace or Cloak of Protection is a "deflection bonus". Shields are a "shield bonus" to AC.

Sorry for the confusion there. I still get these things mixed up myself. Comes of having protection items, shield items, a shield, armour items and trying to remember what needs to be equipped and what doesn't :)

transtemporal
08-16-2007, 08:56 PM
4) Is there somthing I'm missing about not posting a "buy out" on the bazaar?

Personally, if the item i'm selling is common, or for some reason I really need the cash now, I'll post a buy-out with a 1 or maybe 2-day duration. If I'm unsure how rare an item is or I know its rare or desirable, I'll post a starting price w no buy-out and 2 or 3 day duration.
You're right though, there is no benefit to posting a +1 sword with a 3 day duration and no buy out, but you don't know the rarity of something when you first start playing. Its just an option in the interface. When I first started, I didn't realise the price was in pp and entered 1,000 pp for a 1,000 gp item. Funnily enough, it didn't sell.

I use the 2 day duration for most things (even fairly common stuff) just because people can sometimes miss it if its sooner.

I've got a question too: does anyone use the 8-hour duration?

Ekental
08-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi all

Have a few more

1) Different weapons have different attack speeds based on how they are wielded. A one handed weapon (at lvl 14) receives 96 attacks/minute, a 2-h 85, and TWF gets in 154 with all the feats.
There has been debate that different 2-h weapons swing slower, but the pervading theory is that the animation just looks slightly different, not the swing speed itself.

The other questions have been thoroughly answered.