PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions

Flippys
08-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Okay, getting ready to build my first caster. I haven't decided whether I am going Wizard or Sorceror yet, but that doesn't pertain to my questions. I have already decided that I will not play a WF caster, just don't want to, rather play a fleshy.

So my questions are thus: Is the Enlarge Feat worth the limited use it gets? Is the range good enough on PK/FoD that you don't have to pick up this feat?

And second: The difference between Human and Drow is +1 DC, do you find that extra +1 by playing Drow is better than having the slightly lower INT/CHA of a Human who gets an extra feat?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Mad_Bombardier
08-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Enlarged FoD is still my method of choice for Beholders, provided they are pre-spawned in the dungeon. But, for everything else, Sneak then FoD works fine.

Humans CAN get the same INT for spell DCs as Drow, it just takes a +3 tome from the Reaver's Fate raid. 20 + 3 + 3 + 2 + 6 = 34 INT = 18 + 3 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 6. Additionally, Humans get a bonus feat for +1 to another spell school. And Humans don't get the penalty to CON.

sigtrent
08-15-2007, 03:33 PM
For wizard I'd go drow as the extra feat and skill isn't especialy needed.

For sorcerer I'd probably go with human for the feat and skill bonus since sorcs are often a bit short on both accounts.

Enlarge reallly depends on how you like to play...

I like it for the following reasons...
#1. I can run around and FOD things before they have any idea I'm around and if they save I they have a nice long run to get to me. (this is nice when soloing, in a group, doesn't matter)

#2. I can FOD/Firewall/CK stuff that is up on a high ledge but can still shoot at me.

#3. You can cast spells at beholders out of thier eyeball range.

So if that stuff sounds good, they you will like Enlarge. If it sounds trivial you probably won't like it. I'd say on balance its not so great if you are a sorcerer, but its worth the feat for a wizard.

rimble
08-15-2007, 03:35 PM
I think as a Sorcerer I'd deffinitely go Human, every Feat helps there. As a Wizard the extra Human Feat is a little less important...and of course the extra skill point is excessive, hehe. So, I dunno...Drow Wizard, Human Sorcerer...?

Locathus
08-15-2007, 05:30 PM
If you are min/maxing, go Drow. Int is simply more important than anything else you are going to get. Notice that my wizard is a halfling, though - if you play a human you will get by just fine. If you are playing efficiently you will be targeting spells against a mob's weakest save anyway, so the extra point of DC will not kill you (though there still IS a difference).

I use Enlarge occasionally. It was more useful before the Cloudkill fix, but it still comes in handy now. Since you can swap out feats, you can always give this a shot and trade it out later if necessary. You probably won't be taking it until at least the mid-levels anyway, so just pay attention to how often you get an "out of range" error, and if it isn't very often for your particular play style I wouldn't worry about it.

Sybel
08-15-2007, 07:58 PM
It's definetly a great feat. You can do just fine w/o it,but if you are playing a wizard, especially a human wizard, there is no reason not to have it. It really helps in missions with prespawned mobs, you can save the party a lot of hp/mp by charming a group of mobs, or Fod'ing that beholder or hatever before itcan even see you.