PDA

View Full Version : sorcs, Flavor of the month

philo
08-15-2007, 01:49 PM
So ive been back playing again for about a month now. I took a 4 month or so break from the game (happens to be my 2nd multi month break since i started playing).
Since I have been back everyone and their mother seems to have a sorc. Is this because of the item spellpoint increase? Why the sudden increase in sorcs?
Ive played sorcs almost primarily in this game, had 5 or 6 different sorc builds i tryed in beta. I have a 28 point sorc and a 32 point sorc etc.

Maybe we need to be nerfed, heres a comparison of what i found between my sorcs after i returned from my break:

these are both at lvl 12 with all mana gaining items/atributes the same other then what is listed

Sorc A (before my break): improved mental toughness feat, 32 chr, max spellpoint enhancments

Sorc B (after returning 3-4months later): 29chr, 3 lvl of spellpoint enhancment

Sorc B has over 100 spell points more then sorc A did...and thats without taking improved mental toughness, and having a lower chr, and wiithout taking all the enhancments.
I guess its easy to see why everyone and their mother is playing a sorc now. Hopefully with mod 5 another class becomes the flavor of the month

Aspenor
08-15-2007, 02:21 PM
I foresee wizards becoming fairly popular, since undead require slightly different tactics than Gianthold mobs do.

Deragoth
08-21-2007, 10:42 AM
I foresee wizards becoming fairly popular, since undead require slightly different tactics than Gianthold mobs do.

I agree. I'm leveling up my Warforged Wizard right now, in the hopes of capitalizing on it. I only feel a little bit gimped running him, compaired to my sorcerer... unless I'm facing undead. Then he really seems to shine. Spell selection is freakin' awesome on a wizard.

I still feel much more powerfull on my sorcerer. Eventually, I'm sure I'll be as confident on my forgie. Recontruct scrolls with no failure chance will be nice, as will a 26 Con, and 228 hp before buffs. I'll miss the crazy UMD score, but not too much (well, not as much as my party :D).

Varis
08-21-2007, 10:51 AM
when it comes to pure power, nothing compares to a sorcerer. We nuke incredibly hard and have the spellpoints to back it up.

Before it was not viable for a wizard or sorcerer to be a nuker (or so it was said), it was all about crowd control, buffs and insta kill.
That has changed since 3.1 and will again change for the better in 5.0

Still possible to be a good crowd controller and insta killer but no longer the only viable way to play.

GeneralDiomedes
08-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Just wait until the metamagic changes .. nukers will become the new flavor of the month. I mean .. CC draws aggro anyhow .. may as well nuke.

Khurse
08-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Well as one of the new sorcerers and players I can assure you I didn't mean to pick the fotm class, but am now completely embarrassed.

If it's any sort of consolation I still have no idea what I'm doing with Cowl and don't contribute much to groups, so will likely never see the higher lvl's of sorcerery goodness.

That being said- I had guessed, there seem to be alot of low lvl groups that are looking for clerics, but everyone seems to have an abundance of arcane casters.

Ghoste
08-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Just wait until the metamagic changes .. nukers will become the new flavor of the month. I mean .. CC draws aggro anyhow .. may as well nuke.
CC is easy to do without drawing aggro.

Fennario
08-21-2007, 11:57 AM
My main is a sorcerer that I have been playing since April '06. Back in the old days there was no spell swapping so you had to think long and hard about what spells you took at level up. There was also no feat swapping, so you had to figure out exactly what kind of sorcerer you wanted to be.

Wizards back then definately outnumbered sorcerers by a noticeable difference. Now, it seems the oppisite is true.

But even with the over abundance of sorcerers, a well played sorcerer is still a minority. I can't count how many times while I am pugging away on an alt, or my main is grouped with another sorc, I have thought to myself, "what the bleep is this guy doing???."

Khurse
08-21-2007, 12:13 PM
... I can't count how many times while I am pugging away on an alt, or my main is grouped with another sorc, I have thought to myself, "what the bleep is this guy doing???."

If he's anything like me -cursing to himself about why every monster is the game is saving against Niacs and praying that no one in the party notices how little he's contributing. Oh and that the party doesn't decide to make him run ahead as a disposable trap detector to earn his keep.

Yvonne_Blacksword
08-21-2007, 01:08 PM
My guild requested I roll one...
:D
She is a meanie!

GeneralDiomedes
08-21-2007, 03:12 PM
CC is easy to do without drawing aggro.

So is nuking then by your definition of easy.

I would not say easy because not every group is competent, not every setup is perfect, not every save is failed, not every diplomacy works.

And the fact still remains that a failed Web or Hypnotism draws aggro whereas it did not previously.

Osharan_Tregarth
08-21-2007, 08:51 PM
/snip
Since I have been back everyone and their mother seems to have a sorc. Is this because of the item spellpoint increase? Why the sudden increase in sorcs?
/snip

I can't speak for everyone else, but my main reason for rolling a sorcerer now, instead of before, is the number of spells they can select.

I didn't have much desire to run a sorcerer when the level cap was ten. I was a lot better off with the groups I play with to have a wizard, and have a wider selection of spells available. I'm not talking about being able to switch spells... I'm just talking about how many different spells of each level that can be cast.

Blind_Skwerl
08-22-2007, 12:53 AM
Sorcs should do fine with Mod 5, too. Getting those metamagic changes will help the nuking, so firewalls and scorching rays aplenty. That is, unless they make all the new undead out of asbestos. :D

Beherit_Baphomar
08-22-2007, 01:43 PM
I brand spanking new to casters, I have a lvl 3 drow sorc, Im reading this and wondering why sorcerers will not be as effective as wizards with the new MOD. Is it the spells wizards cant cast that will make them more effective? Undead controlling spells or undead 'killing' spells? Can someone tell me why wizards>sorcerers with MOD 5?

Aspenor
08-22-2007, 01:59 PM
It won't necessarily be wiz>sorc, but wizards will be attractive again for their extra spell slots. Being able to load command, halt, and control undead all at once while also having many damage and buff spells can lead to an easy romp through any undead quest.

Right now, sorcs are a big deal because they can spam FoD and PK and pretty much nothing else.

Lyletuba
08-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Have had my Sorc for a long time. Spec-ed mainly for FoD and PK (high Cha, spell pen, necro and illusion DC boost items, etc.).
She’s a blast. Can absolutely rule in most quests.

But I’ve gotten a lot of flak, too.
People often expect Sorcs to have buff spells :confused: and get very upset about it. I used to explain that I do buff – on my Bard and my Paladin - but not on my Sorc.
The good thing is that they usually shut-up about 5 min into the quest when they see her perform. :D

I also had one guy from a certain guild complain Sorcs are too ‘easy’ to play. Now that is true, IF you spend a ton of time planning out the build, acquiring the right equipment, picking the proper enhancements and setting up your hotkey bars for maximum efficiency.

Some people....

Varis
08-23-2007, 02:40 AM
My guild requested I roll one...
:D
She is a meanie!

Yeah, sorcs support a very aggressive play style. Lots of fun he he.

Blind_Skwerl
08-23-2007, 05:22 AM
Right now, sorcs are a big deal because they can spam FoD and PK and pretty much nothing else.

Don't forget:
Flesh to Stone
Firewall
Scorching Ray
Elemental Resists
Elemental Protections
Greater Heroism
Haste
Blur
Displacement
Jump
Hold Monster
Hypnotic Patern

I currently have these (and a few others) memorized. That's not to mention all the scrolls and wands I can pack (arcane and divine). Good luck getting the wizard to scroll a rez. ;)

Makdar
08-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Got a lvl 14 sorcerer and almost lvl 12 wf wizard. They both have their uses. If I had to guess, a great party makeup for lvl 14+ quests is going to include a sorcerer and either a wizard or a bard for maximum combined buffing, CC and nukage.

Wizards don't come close the the raw nukage that a sorcerer has, but a wizard can shape themselves perfectly for any given quest and they do have more spells.

They are both a lot of fun to play and both are very good at soloing the GH encounter area.

A sorcerer that doesn't carry a minimal set of buffing spells is doing their party, especially party cleric, a disservice. (haste, stoneskin, resists, GH, jump and blur or displacement, in my mind are must haves. You can wand stoneskin, but why?)