PDA

View Full Version : Wizard "Uber" Battle Wizard (A build by request)

sigtrent
08-14-2007, 07:23 PM
From Sigtrent's Build Request Thread (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=117232)

Build Name: Spiffy Wizard
Author: Sigfried Trent
Requester: Spifflove
Last Updated: 07/13/10

Key Words

Objectives
The request was for an “Uber battle wizard” possibly using precision. I used precision at one time, its not too hot. I think the only truly uber battle wizards these days are the war-forged variety and they do best as strength based THF builds. I wanted to make a wizard that would function decently as a caster but could play melee through its life span, not so much as a DPS per say, but as a support combatant.

Design
I’m starting with fighter to establish melee up front and because its far easier to level as a melee than a caster. I’m taking Mithral body, almost always a questionable choice, but I wanted to have some AC at lower levels. You can re-spec it out of the build later if you want the feat slot for something else. I pegged Dex so you fill Mithral out with a +6 item.

Feats are chosen to augment glancing blow effects and to run a balance between damage casting/repairing and control spells. DC values are decent but not amazing and you may have issues running control casting in Shavarath without really gearing up for it. Stun DC is not great and gets relatively weaker as you level but its still going to proc off from time to time to good effect.

My experience with builds like this is that even without pumping strength, you can maintain a decent attack score with good buffing and gear selection. A few high AC targets will be hard to hit, but they are better dealt with by spells anyhow. Stunning is your standby weapon effect but you can use any two hander that fits the situation.

I try to set up decent hit points early on. They are never amazing but it should be enough to keep you out of trouble. Quicken can eat up mana but its a life saver for throwing fast heals when you get into melee trouble.

[b]Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.5.1
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 Neutral Good Warforged Male
(2 Fighter \ 18 Wizard)
Hit Points: 244
Spell Points: 1246
BAB: 11\11\16\21
Fortitude: 13
Reflex: 8
Will: 10

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 16 19
Dexterity 12 14
Constitution 17 19
Intelligence 16 26
Wisdom 6 8
Charisma 6 8

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 3 11
Bluff -2 -1
Concentration 5 26.5
Diplomacy -2 -1
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle -2 10
Heal -2 -1
Hide 1 0
Intimidate -2 -1
Jump 7 12
Listen -2 -1
Move Silently 1 0
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 7 31
Search 3 8
Spot -2 -1
Swim 3 10.5
Tumble 3 11
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Mithral Body
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Stunning Blow
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost I
Enhancement: Fighter Strategy (Stunning Blow) I

Level 2 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Extend Spell
Enhancement: Wizard Elemental Manipulation I
Enhancement: Wizard Force Manipulation I
Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar I
Enhancement: Warforged Inscribed Armor I
Enhancement: Warforged Tactics I

Level 3 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence I
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness I

Level 4 (Wizard)
Enhancement: Fighter Attack Boost I
Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Elements I
Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Force I
Enhancement: Wizard Wand Mastery I

Level 5 (Wizard)
Enhancement: Wizard Elemental Manipulation II
Enhancement: Wizard Force Manipulation II

Level 6 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Empower Spell
Feat: (Selected) Two Handed Fighting
Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Deadly Force I
Enhancement: Warforged Inscribed Armor II
Enhancement: Warforged Great Weapon Aptitude I

Level 7 (Wizard)
Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence II

Level 8 (Wizard)
Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Deadly Elements I
Enhancement: Wizard Force Manipulation III

Level 9 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell
Enhancement: Wizard Elemental Manipulation III

Level 10 (Wizard)
Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Elements II
Enhancement: Warforged Inscribed Armor III

Level 11 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Heighten Spell
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Deadly Elements II

Level 12 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Spell Penetration
Enhancement: Wizard Force Manipulation IV

Level 13 (Wizard)
Enhancement: Wizard Elemental Manipulation IV

Level 14 (Wizard)
Enhancement: Wizard Wand Mastery II

Level 15 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Penetration
Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence III

Level 16 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Maximize Spell
Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Force II
Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Deadly Force II

Level 17 (Wizard)
Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Elements III

Level 18 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Handed Fighting
Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Deadly Elements III
Enhancement: Warforged Great Weapon Aptitude II

Level 19 (Wizard)
Enhancement: Wizard Spell Penetration I

Level 20 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Two Handed Fighting
Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy I
Enhancement: Fighter Strength I
Enhancement: Warforged Great Weapon Aptitude III

Play
Watch your metamagic as it can eat spell points fast. Not every fire wall needs to be maxed out to be effective. Sometimes a low and slow BBQ is more mana efficient than a flash cook, especially if your in there thumping heads.

Getting 100% fort is very critical and easy as a warforged and stoneskin is well worth paying for as it will take the edge off melee beatings. Getting hurt too much only drains your mana supply and it can go fast between healing and offensive casting.

Variations
You can do something like this with pure wizard but the fighter levels add more toys to play with and help round out hit points. You can start 18 Int by hitting con and dex down and in that case I’d also drop mithral body, but watch out as the damage can pike up fast when you are near auto hit.

spifflove
08-15-2007, 12:55 AM
Well I admit I had something else in mind. For example, a drow could go 20 intel and 18 dex, and gain +2 to hit and damage and use the two weapon fighting line and weapon finesse.

Now to me the warforged warchanter works better because of the extra bard buffs.

I never thought of using a great Maul. That is a different take on things.

The wf immunities will increase survivability in the end game. I still like the warchanter better though.

Thank you for the name, Sigtrent =)

Rentz
08-15-2007, 08:32 AM
add 2 str and 2 con, and 1 will save to your figures by using the Rage spell.
no fatigue, no naughty side effects. has good duration when extended.

sigtrent
08-15-2007, 01:22 PM
add 2 str and 2 con, and 1 will save to your figures by using the Rage spell.
no fatigue, no naughty side effects. has good duration when extended.

Thanks, forgot about that one and definately something a character like this would cast. (although a lot of other players hate it when you accidently rage them since it has a small AC penalty, but this character wouldn't care about that)

I tend not to include rage potions sicne anyone can use them it has little to do with builds. Same goes for buffs by other classes etc.. I just think its pointless to list things anyone can list. I do take those into considerations for saves but its one reason I just post a general range for saves.

sigtrent
08-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Well I admit I had something else in mind. For example, a drow could go 20 intel and 18 dex, and gain +2 to hit and damage and use the two weapon fighting line and weapon finesse.

Thank you for the name, Sigtrent =)

The Drow BW is pretty much what my character Kurzun is. I'll probably do him up since it got nuked and make it the second answer to your request. :>

Glad you liked the name :>

Impaqt
08-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Actually Tensors and DP up your BAB to character Level..
Attack Value: BAB 14, Str 9, Weapon 5, Greater Heroism 4, Haste 1, Weapon Focus 1 = +33/+33/+38/+42 1d12 + 18 (20 X3)

sigtrent
08-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Actually Tensors and DP up your BAB to character Level..
Attack Value: BAB 14, Str 9, Weapon 5, Greater Heroism 4, Haste 1, Weapon Focus 1 = +33/+33/+38/+42 1d12 + 18 (20 X3)

Indeed, but I was also factoring in the attack penalty and bonus from power attack when using Tensors/DP

Impaqt
08-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Indeed, but I was also factoring in the attack penalty and bonus from power attack when using Tensors/DP

Ah, missed the "WIth Power Attack" notation

BrettVe
08-16-2007, 12:40 PM
I made a similar build. I didn't have the 32 points though :-(

14 str
14 dex
16 con
16 int
8 wis
8 chr

I went pure build (level 7 wiz now)

Cutting the fighter level cost me a feat (Great Sword prof)

I am considering getting a level of fighter though and swapping the Great Sword for something else.

I got a question though. I understand that they will be changing the level cap to 20.

How will that affect our builds? What new buffing spells will we get?

tihocan
08-20-2007, 10:38 AM
That's funny, I have a build which is somewhat close to this. Tons of fun for sure :)

sigtrent
08-20-2007, 11:44 AM
I got a question though. I understand that they will be changing the level cap to 20.

How will that affect our builds? What new buffing spells will we get?

In D&D, traditionaly 20 is the highest "normal" character level. They have levels above that but they are refered to as "epic" levels reserved for demi-god type characters. The dev's have said they intend to take DDO to level 20 but it seems a long time coming.

I'm not entirely sure how it will effect builds. Wizards will get two more levels of spells 8 and 9. As to which spells will be in there, I'm not sure. Generaly the high level spells have fewer buffs and more damage, and save or die spells. Wish is the most famous of the high level spells, as is time stop, but I kind of doubt we will see those.

Wizards get 9th level spells at level 17, and that means that towards the end of the game you may see more spell casters add other class levels after level 17 to pick up some abbility or another. It also depends a lot on what the dev's do with enhancements.

spifflove
09-17-2007, 12:57 PM
After playing the wf bard version of this build I have to say it works pretty well. An Arcane can do very well as strength based. I would put 18 into strength and level up points into strength.

nbhs275
09-17-2007, 02:52 PM
i have a friend with a wiz 13/fighter 1 wf and he tears stuff up. Nukers intermixed with a good 1hander or maybe a SoS and things are going down. Though im not sure what he uses for feats..

But one thing i think might be a good idea is bringing con down to 16, and intel up to 18. Keep intel maxxed, because a build like this should be a wizard first and fighter second. Also, it'll help keep the gap between you and a 14 wizzy closer.

sigtrent
09-17-2007, 03:10 PM
But one thing i think might be a good idea is bringing con down to 16, and intel up to 18. Keep intel maxxed, because a build like this should be a wizard first and fighter second. Also, it'll help keep the gap between you and a 14 wizzy closer.

Its a Warforged (+2 con) so 18 Con costs 10pts but 18 Int costs 16pts so you have to grab another two points from another stat to get Int to 18.

The idea is that mostly he casts damage spells and only occasional CC spells so it isn't critical that DC values be as high as they can possibly be. His DCs are ok, but about 20% short of a really dedicated caster. Usualy that is the price you have to pay if you want to be good at Melee combat, although some builds can get around that (usualy drow due to all the stat bumps).

nbhs275
09-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Its a Warforged (+2 con) so 18 Con costs 10pts but 18 Int costs 16pts so you have to grab another two points from another stat to get Int to 18.

The idea is that mostly he casts damage spells and only occasional CC spells so it isn't critical that DC values be as high as they can possibly be. His DCs are ok, but about 20% short of a really dedicated caster. Usualy that is the price you have to pay if you want to be good at Melee combat, although some builds can get around that (usualy drow due to all the stat bumps).

Thats understandable, and as far as the stat points, i know you would also have to bring another stat down. I understand your tight on points, and that the extra 6 into intel is hard to fit. But i would of figured he would use more CC spells and try using his melee to do the damage(while standing in a nice hot FW of course)

The +1 to-hit from WF blunt isnt worth it, and even stunning blow is debatable. Will it prove more powerful then the 2 hold person mass' you can get from improved mental toughness?

anyways

I would say the best possible situation for this build is wearing a Torq, and running around with as much defensive damage as possible fire shield(cold), fire shield(fire) bramble caster gloves, Fire docent, Bracers of demon consort. That would be a total of 2d8+2d6+26 with an additional 2d8+3 when the bracers go off. 30-54 normally, 35-73 when the bracers kick in.

You would already be doing some decent DPS just standing there blocking.
add in a big ass maul and your going to gunna be wooping ass.

sigtrent
09-18-2007, 01:15 AM
I would say the best possible situation for this build is wearing a Torq, and running around with as much defensive damage as possible fire shield(cold), fire shield(fire) bramble caster gloves, Fire docent, Bracers of demon consort. That would be a total of 2d8+2d6+26 with an additional 2d8+3 when the bracers go off. 30-54 normally, 35-73 when the bracers kick in..

I tried actualy playing a couple of characters like that and it was pretty awfull to be honest. It took a ton of mana to do all that and in the end I usualy got the snot beat out of me before the monster was even remotely wounded. And if I increased my defenses it just took longer for them to die. All in all I'd go through a way more mana healing myself than if I'd just killed something outright.

Weapon focus is pretty optional, but stunning blow should be quite good on this character. I've used it on two characters and when you focus on it, it's very reliable and effective. All in all it might be better to go one handed with it but its just more fun to stun and then get the big two handed maul crits.

nbhs275
09-18-2007, 09:14 AM
as far as the defensive damage, im not suggesting that for everyone or for the only defense. Im saying that using it combined with a torq and your melee offense.

sigtrent
09-18-2007, 12:33 PM
as far as the defensive damage, im not suggesting that for everyone or for the only defense. Im saying that using it combined with a torq and your melee offense.

I hear you on that. But even just as a layered defense I don't think it's much worth the mana to cast many of those spells that have reactive damage. Fire shield can be nice when faced with the damage type they protect agaisnt but my experience is that they usualy arn't worht the mana for thier damage effect. I occasionaly use the guard armors but only on armor with a full enhancement bonus.

On any of these combat mage builds you have to decide ahead of time what mix you are going for. How much combat vs how much casting and then shoot for that. So spiff is suggesting going all out on the Str and you were suggesting all out on the Int. Both of those work but in different ways and for different reasons.

On this one I was shooting for bieing good at one specific Melee trick (Stunning blow with mauls) and making that work pretty well, keeping my HP at a survivable level, and then putting the rest into my casting with a focus on damage but maintaining a tolerable CC profile. So in Melee its a bit of a one trick pony, but its a good solid trick. I've done lots of Wiz/Melee characters so far and each one has a different ammount of casting/combat mixed in from almost all casting (A WF pure sorc with kopesh proficiency) to heavy combat (Sorc 8 Pal 3 Ftr 3). It really helps if you decide ahead what mix you want and what the priorities are.

If I were to go more caster I'd start by dropping power attack which is a bit dicey on this kind of build and pick up more spell focus or mana depending on if I want better CC or damage.

If I were to go more melee I'd go with more Str and pick up at least two more fighter levels, and drop all pretense at casting DC spells.

nbhs275
09-18-2007, 08:41 PM
I hear you on that. But even just as a layered defense I don't think it's much worth the mana to cast many of those spells that have reactive damage. Fire shield can be nice when faced with the damage type they protect agaisnt but my experience is that they usualy arn't worht the mana for thier damage effect. I occasionaly use the guard armors but only on armor with a full enhancement bonus.

On any of these combat mage builds you have to decide ahead of time what mix you are going for. How much combat vs how much casting and then shoot for that. So spiff is suggesting going all out on the Str and you were suggesting all out on the Int. Both of those work but in different ways and for different reasons.

On this one I was shooting for bieing good at one specific Melee trick (Stunning blow with mauls) and making that work pretty well, keeping my HP at a survivable level, and then putting the rest into my casting with a focus on damage but maintaining a tolerable CC profile. So in Melee its a bit of a one trick pony, but its a good solid trick. I've done lots of Wiz/Melee characters so far and each one has a different ammount of casting/combat mixed in from almost all casting (A WF pure sorc with kopesh proficiency) to heavy combat (Sorc 8 Pal 3 Ftr 3). It really helps if you decide ahead what mix you want and what the priorities are.

If I were to go more caster I'd start by dropping power attack which is a bit dicey on this kind of build and pick up more spell focus or mana depending on if I want better CC or damage.

If I were to go more melee I'd go with more Str and pick up at least two more fighter levels, and drop all pretense at casting DC spells.

Sigtrent, i understand what your saying, just was suggesting another ability a like this one could have. Stunning blow works nicely, and will be a fun when it lands. But i think you should reconsider the WF: Blunt. There alot of better options out there.

Borganian
10-08-2007, 01:20 AM
hey just wanted to let you know ive created a toon with close to the same specifications only difference is im going to drop power attack and take heighten i think. figured that would give it a bit more of an edge with CC spells. So far i love the build its very fun to play and I find myself anticipating the next level more and more each time i play it.. Which is a blessing quite frankly because ive been getting a bit bored... thanks for the great build

swsawyer
10-22-2007, 09:48 PM
I have just began playing a Dwarf fighter/wizard, and I love it. I started with 14 strength
16 con
16 int
8 wis
8 charisma

Only problem is the inability to use healing wands with such a low charisma, but if you have a healer in the group this build rocks!!!

swsawyer
10-23-2007, 10:06 AM
I was just wondering what was the best armor to equip as a battle wizard that would keep arcane spell failure to a minimum and still allow for a decent AC?

sigtrent
10-23-2007, 10:19 AM
I was just wondering what was the best armor to equip as a battle wizard that would keep arcane spell failure to a minimum and still allow for a decent AC?

It depends on your race somewhat.

Mithral Chain Shirts are common for elven battle wizards because they can use enhancements to reduce the 10% failure to none.
Other can use Twilight Mithral Chain Shirts which have 0% failure.

Thre are the seven fingered gloves fromt he Titan raid that reduce ASF by 10%. And the titan raid also has Insulated Armor which has a base 10% failure and is good casting armor for arcanes with lower dex.

Warforged have a lot more options since they have an enhancment to reduce ADF and they have random docents that reduce ASF that go with any of thier body types.

nbhs275
10-23-2007, 12:48 PM
It depends on your race somewhat.

Mithral Chain Shirts are common for elven battle wizards because they can use enhancements to reduce the 10% failure to none.
Other can use Twilight Mithral Chain Shirts which have 0% failure.

Thre are the seven fingered gloves fromt he Titan raid that reduce ASF by 10%. And the titan raid also has Insulated Armor which has a base 10% failure and is good casting armor for arcanes with lower dex.

Warforged have a lot more options since they have an enhancment to reduce ADF and they have random docents that reduce ASF that go with any of thier body types.

Addy wizards/sorcerers are fun too with the right gear.

35%
-10 titan gloves
-10 +5 arcane sigil docent
-15 enhancments

which can add up to a really good AC without alot of Dex

10 base
14 docent
1 dex
5 protection
6 mith light shield
3 natural
5 dodge

Or mithral can make for a really good rogue//wizzy build

10 base
11 docent(Either silver flame or emerald claw docent)
9 dex(16 base+2 level+2 favor tome+6 item+2 enhancment)
4 shield spell
5 protection
5 dodge
3 natural

If you went 6/6/2 rogue wizard fighter you would have enough feats for the TWF chain and improved crit though...WF builds can be really strange some times lol

spaarhawk
10-31-2009, 01:12 PM
Would this build still be somewhat valid with the advent of PrEs? I'm intrigued by the possibilities here...

Sorry for the necro, but this was too good to pass up.

spaarhawk
11-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on this please? Or is this build hopelessly gimped?

demtutor
12-20-2009, 09:24 AM
This looks build looks fun ... but how many more levels of fighter would you need to keep up decent melee while still having good damamge spells?

I play mostly in a static group of 3-4 ... we've been able to tackle all non-raid quests so far, so i'm not interested in being "uber" just being able to contribute in multiple areas.

I would probably stick with the CC focus (hold person) combined with stunning blow ... love the image of a WF wizzy carrying around a maul!

I've leveled bards and barbs through TR ... but lack the experience with arcane casters and fighters to make educated decisions.

BTW ... this will be a TR for a bard, and I'm more than willing to use numerous +2 tomes to make this a quality toon.

JoeyWMD
12-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Update Requested for Level 20 :] seems like a maul wf using 18/2 split? seems good im gonna roll and wait for someone to help this out